Players in the "wrong" uniforms

Bears HOFer Richard Dent also finished up with the Eagles

new-york-giants-tiki-barber-and-philadel

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Two years ago today, we lost this beauty.

Ray_Emery_AHL_Tryout.jpg

DiLPG8mVQAAZSr5.jpg

• Like 1
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

He spent the most time with the Marlins, so I'd say Emilio Bonifacio in a Nationals uniform looks wrong. (Plus, even if he does somehow manage to revive his career with the Nats this year, it won't be in these uniforms.) 

spacer.png

That road uniform is really nice.  I think it was the best part of the package Radom put together.  Just make the number solid navy and put the DC on the cap and you've got a winner.

The home version didn't work as well - can't put my finger on why, but it just didn't.  Regardless, the scripts are the way to go (but I'd still use DC).  

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 7/24/2020 at 11:16 PM, Davidellias said:

206030-13171141Fr.jpg

I find this card funny, as Nolan Ryan and Rod Carew are more well know for works on other teams.

Carew yes; but Ryan no.

Ryan is definitely more strongly associated as a player with the Angels than with his other three teams. It's with the Angels that he became a superstar, broke Koufax's strikeout record, and threw four no-hitters.  

His latter-day stint with the Rangers is fondly remembered because he was still performing at a very high level at an advanced age, throwing two more no hitters in his forties, and topping off his amazing career totals. Also, he went into that team's front office, and still maintains an association with the team.

But we should remember that he was already a legend when he came to the Rangers, on the strength of what he had done mainly with the Angels, and secondarily with the Astros. As a player, Nolan Ryan will always be first and foremost a California Angel.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

9 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Carew yes; but Ryan no.

Ryan is definitely more strongly associated as a player with the Angels than with his other three teams. It's with the Angels that he became a superstar, broke Koufax's strikeout record, and threw four no-hitters.  

His latter-day stint with the Rangers is fondly remembered because he was still performing at a very high level at an advanced age, throwing two more no hitters in his forties, and topping off his amazing career totals. Also, he went into that team's front office, and still maintains an association with the team.

But we should remember that he was already a legend when he came to the Rangers, on the strength of what he had done mainly with the Angels, and secondarily with the Astros. As a player, Nolan Ryan will always be first and foremost a California Angel.

I think this is incorrect, but age plays a big role in it.  To me, he's an Astro first, then a Ranger. 

I'm in my 40s so I'm not a youngster.  I collected enough baseball cards as a kid to know that he was a Met and then a star with the Angels.  I know that he was dominant with the Angels, and then with a few exceptions, barely above average (let's be honest here) afterwards.  He either struck out 20 or got shelled.  But... it was with the Astros that most people in their 30s/40s got to see him, it was with the Astros (I think) that he had reached the tenure necessary to start setting career marks, and with the Astros that he got a little more national exposure simply due to the national TV.

Speaking of that, that's why I think the Rangers are 2nd (but maybe 1st) because even though he was mostly washed up and was one of those guys that simply held on long enough to get to 300 wins (though again - it was either no-hitter or he got killed), it was with the Rangers that he was on Sports Center every time he started, and when he got in that fight, and he was always labeled a "Texas guy".

You're correct that his best years by far were with the Angels, but I really think he's more associated with either of the Texas teams.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In honour of the great Tom Seaver, here he is sporting Yankee gear.

Seaver-Yankees.png

Seaver and the entire Yankee broadcast team wore this cap and jacket on July 4, 1989, the 60th anniversary of Lou Gehrig's famous speech.

Seaver has a couple of connections with Yankee history. The huge ovation that he received from the Yankee Stadium crowd in his first appearance in New York after his trade to Cincinnati, at the 1977 All-Star Game — an ovation that dwarfed that given to Billy Martin or Thurman Munson or any other Yankee — underscored Seaver's unique position as New York's most beloved sports figure, and one who was above all team partisanship.

And, of course, that would not be the last time that Seaver would intersect with Yankee history, nor the last time that he would be saluted by the Yankee Stadium crowd. The remarkable coincidence that had him going for his 300th win in 1985 in a Yankee Stadium that was packed for Phil Rizzuto Day was like a gift from the Universe. On that day Seaver performed the most unlikely feat of all: turning a Yankee Stadium crowd to cheer against the Yankees. Such was his stature with Yankee fans.

There was no way to anticipate that the then-40-year-old Seaver would throw a complete game; yet, somehow, the Yankees were prepared for this, as they had arranged to bring in longtime Met announcer Lindsey Nelson to call the ninth inning on television. The Yankees' tribute to Seaver was thus total, coming both spontaneously from the Yankee fans, and also officially from the team.

Seaver's long run in the Yankees' broadcast booth bantering with the Scooter only further cemented his place in Yankee history, and ever more strongly endeared him to Yankee fans, who stand alongside Met fans in mourning of this great champion.

• Like 3

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png