Players in the "wrong" uniforms

Brett Hull

hullusa21802.jpg

Zach Parise (Legend in the making?)

USA-Parise12.jpg

If you dont understand, Ill explain.

You don't have to explain anything. They're in the right jerseys.

Parise was born and raised in Minnesota, so even though his Dad is Canadian and Zach could have played for the Canadians, Zach is American through and through.

Yeah, Hull was born in Canada, and spent a lot of time there, but he also lived in Chicago with his Dad, where all his other siblings were born. So, while he had dual citizenship, more than that, in '86 Team USA was the one who showed interest in him playing for them, not Canada. Hull decided to stick with that loyalty throughout his career.

I admire both of their decisions.

To us Canadians,both of them are traitors.

So you expect a kid who was BORN AND RAISED in Minnesota (which is in the U.S.) to play for Team Canada? Also, as Timaa said, Canada had no interest in Hull in '86, so it would seem they screwed him over before he "screwed" Canada over.

Hull also played for the University of Minnesota-Duluth, is enshrined in the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame, and is considered one of the greatest AMERICAN hockey players of all time. He's only considered Canadian because he was born in the summer, when the family vacationed in Ontario. The United States, being a very diverse country, have MLB and NBA players who hold American citizenship, even some BORN in America, play for other countries in the Olympics, World Championships, and what have you. They're not considered traitors by any stretch of the imagination.

M.jpg

Mark Grace

Wrong position too.

I will give you that, but with the understanding he probably had as much of an impact with the 'Backs as he did with the Cubs, unlike the majority if not ALL the other entrants in this thread.

I disagree.

He was at the tail end of his career when he left Chicago, and if Arizona doesn't win it all in 2001, Gracey is only remembered as a Cub.

6uXNWAo.png

M.jpg

Mark Grace

Wrong position too.

I will give you that, but with the understanding he probably had as much of an impact with the 'Backs as he did with the Cubs, unlike the majority if not ALL the other entrants in this thread.

I disagree.

He was at the tail end of his career when he left Chicago, and if Arizona doesn't win it all in 2001, Gracey is only remembered as a Cub.

and jose canseco at the wrong position too

pg2_ap_canseco_pitching_600.jpg

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

Speak for yourself there. I don't harbour any ill will towards Hull, and frankly, I had no idea Parise could have played for Canada, so it's no skin off my Canadian back. The first I saw of Parise was during the Mac's Midget Tournament many moons ago when he played for Shattuck St. Mary's, a prep school in the States. If we was born there, raised there, went to school there, spent his formative hockey years there, and wants to play for them, I've got no quarrel with that.

Brett Hull

hullusa21802.jpg

USA-Parise12.jpg

Parise was born and raised in Minnesota, so even though his Dad is Canadian and Zach could have played for the Canadians, Zach is American through and through.

Yeah, Hull was born in Canada, and spent a lot of time there, but he also lived in Chicago with his Dad, where all his other siblings were born. So, while he had dual citizenship, more than that, in '86 Team USA was the one who showed interest in him playing for them, not Canada. Hull decided to stick with that loyalty throughout his career.

I think there are some Canadians out there who still feel a bit ripped off from the 1996 World Cup of Hockey. Hull played really well for the Americans, especially in the final...and on a side note to this, Adam Deadmarsh, who played for Quebec/Colorado and LA, was born in Trail, BC but played for the US in international events.

I have always identified Hull in a USA jersey. Now, Brett Hull in a Flames jersey is odd by comparison

07F.jpg

I remember him in a Flames jersey--I was at the game where he got his first NHL hat trick--in a Flames jersey.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

M.jpg

Mark Grace

Wrong position too.

I disagree.

Well your statement hinges on the word, "if," doesn't it? They DID and it's cemented as such.

M.jpg

Mark Grace

Wrong position too.

I disagree.

Well your statement hinges on the word, "if," doesn't it? They DID and it's cemented as such.

So if the L.A. beats Detroit in '04, you would associate Karl Malone with the Lakers more than you would the Jazz?

6uXNWAo.png

M.jpg

Mark Grace

Wrong position too.

I disagree.

Yes they did, but Grace will be remembered as a Cub when he goes into the Hall of Fame. But the last decade he has been a Diamondback as a player and as their commentator on FS Arizona.

Brett Hull

hullusa21802.jpg

USA-Parise12.jpg

So you expect a kid who was BORN AND RAISED in Minnesota (which is in the U.S.) to play for Team Canada? Also, as Timaa said, Canada had no interest in Hull in '86, so it would seem they screwed him over before he "screwed" Canada over.

Hull also played for the University of Minnesota-Duluth, is enshrined in the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame, and is considered one of the greatest AMERICAN hockey players of all time. He's only considered Canadian because he was born in the summer, when the family vacationed in Ontario. The United States, being a very diverse country, have MLB and NBA players who hold American citizenship, even some BORN in America, play for other countries in the Olympics, World Championships, and what have you. They're not considered traitors by any stretch of the imagination.

You were around for the Giuseppe Rossi flap a few weeks ago, right? He certainly was considered a traitor...and probably still is to a lot of soccer nuts.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.