Players in the "wrong" uniforms

051215_brees_vmed_7p.widec.jpg

I miss that Chargers uniform ....

The thing is it still seems weird to see him in a Saints uni to me.

Be that as it may (to some), he led his team to a Super Bowl championship in a Saints uniform. Drew Bress is a Saint. We are all Saints (or...at least we all were once the confetti fell Super Bowl night). For better or worse, the annals of sports history will document Brees as (primarily) a Saint. Not that any of that changes your viewpoint though... :D

...and I loved that Chargers uniform. Worn by Brees, briefly by his successor Philip Rivers--who some people might forget was traded for Eli Manning, who wanted nothing to do with that uniform. (One other note: I remember watching the Draft that year hoping Phillip Rivers would get drafted by the Steelers...if only to have a QB surnamed "Rivers" playing in the city of the three rivers. But alas, it was not meant to be...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I've heard rumours (emphasis on "rumours") that the league "suggested" they make the change. They were tired of the Chargers having two helmets each year (the navy primaries and the throwback whites), wanted a custom number font for trademark purposes, and wanted a wordmark under the collar, again for trademark purposes. I'm not saying that is what happened, but it is something that's floating around out there.

As for the old set, again, I liked the white jersey/navy pants combo.

KC_ChargersRavens349crop.jpg

The blue jersey/white pants combo shown in this thread always seemed a little bland to me, in my opinion.

Man, all those new NFL proprietary typefaces are such a waste of time. I get the idea, but it's still irritating that it has to be done. Once upon a time, every single team except the Bears used the same varsity block. Simpler times indeed. You'd think those Chargers jerseys were already kinda hard to counterfeit, wouldn't you?

I didn't find the home uniforms bland. You get so much pop between the three colors. Everything's too muddled now.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Man, all those new NFL proprietary typefaces are such a waste of time. I get the idea, but it's still irritating that it has to be done. Once upon a time, every single team except the Bears used the same varsity block. Simpler times indeed. You'd think those Chargers jerseys were already kinda hard to counterfeit, wouldn't you?

I didn't find the home uniforms bland. You get so much pop between the three colors. Everything's too muddled now.

Well, technically, some teams had the Champion block, and some the Wilson (or whatever the Rams and Seahawks had (though the Seahawks had a really fat version of it.)).

I like the custom numbers - when they make sense. The Vikings, Cardinals, and Bengals (among others) just don't seem to make sense other than the fact that they wanted something custom.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well, technically, some teams had the Champion block, and some the Wilson (or whatever the Rams and Seahawks had (though the Seahawks had a really fat version of it.)).

I like the custom numbers - when they make sense. The Vikings, Cardinals, and Bengals (among others) just don't seem to make sense other than the fact that they wanted something custom.

+1.

For some teams, the custom numbers fit in with their identity, namely the former Jaguars #s (may they rest in peace), the Philly Eagles, the Ravens, and--though not exactly custom--the Buccaneers' blocks. I've never been able to stand either the Falcons', Cardinals', or especially the Chargers' "custom" numbers, namely because they look entirely too forced, in my opinion (particilarly the Chargers). With the Buccaneers, it's that extra-thick black outline--and the specific type of block that they use--that makes theirs stand out (I have no clue what it's called though).

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

You would think, but ya never know. I think, in terms of the numbers, it had less to do with counterfeiting then it had to do with copyrighting.

Like when they changed the ref pattern. They did it so that any commercial that wanted to imply that there was an NFL ref on screen had to pay the NFL for the right to use the custom ref pattern. The same can be said for these new typefaces. Before a commercial could have shown a navy, white, and yellow NFL team with block numbers and short of implied that it was the chargers. Now if a company wants to effectively imply that they're using the Chargers in their ad they have to pay for the official typeface. That's my take on it anyway. Ultimately this is a league that felt the need to trademark the green stickers that indicate which players are wired on the field, so it doesn't come as a surprise that they would force changes on teams to get a new number font they could trademark.

But yeah, I hate the current Bolts number font, and I think the current look would improve greatly if they ditched it.

The home uniform with that set was perfect, in so far as it's really the only viable jersey they could have gone with. Though I'm not a fan of it, I wouldn't have changed it. I was just hoping that, during the years that set existed, the Chargers would pull a Cowboys and wear white most of the time.

I think what bothered me about the home set was that there seemed to be to much navy. Again, there wasn't anything you could do to fix the set, it was kind of set in stone. Still, it just seemed to "dark" to me. Maybe if the Broncos hadn't gone with the same basic scheme at home (navy/navy/white) I would have felt differently.

The Falcons and Cardinals are the worst offenders when it comes to wonky numerals, yeah. I can't stand the Eagles' typeface at all, but I know I'm in the minority on this, and I'm largely okay with it.

Actually, the Chargers' white uniform was a little problematic in that the yellow got lost against the white. I suppose this could've been remedied by going blue/yellow/blue on the numbers instead of blue/white/yellow, but then you lose the harmony of the whole set or something. Still better than powder blue that looks green.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Falcons and Cardinals are the worst offenders when it comes to wonky numerals, yeah. I can't stand the Eagles' typeface at all, but I know I'm in the minority on this, and I'm largely okay with it.

I agree with all three, and I'll add the Bengals and Chargers. The Bengals set just looks out of place. The new B logo they introduced at the same time is a completley different font. The Bengals' numbers look like cheap Bears knockoffs to me. They just look like the team picked a random number font because the NFL told them they needed something custom. It's the same complaint I have with the Eagles actually.

The Chargers font just seems incredibly forced. The wordmark, which save for a few tweaks is the same one from the last set, is rather bold and roundish. The numbers the Bolts went with are angular to the point of redundancy. They do drag the entire new set down a notch, in my opinion.

Actually, the Chargers' white uniform was a little problematic in that the yellow got lost against the white. I suppose this could've been remedied by going blue/yellow/blue on the numbers instead of blue/white/yellow, but then you lose the harmony of the whole set or something. Still better than powder blue that looks green.

True about the yellow bleeding into the white, but it's a minor complaint in my book, and had they kept the set this problem would have been fixed by the advent of HD TV.

As for the powder blue, I'm inclined to agree. They tried to make everyone happy, and made no one happy. Either they should have gone powder blue/white/yellow or navy/white/yellow.

At first I really liked the new Chargers set. Then I kind of sort of liked them. Now I'm just happy that they didn't go crazy with the panelling and piping like the Falcons, Vikings, and Cards did. I would take the last set back in a heartbeat.

I agree with all three, and I'll add the Bengals and Chargers. The Bengals set just looks out of place. The new B logo they introduced at the same time is a completley different font. The Bengals' numbers look like cheap Bears knockoffs to me. They just look like the team picked a random number font because the NFL told them they needed something custom. It's the same complaint I have with the Eagles actually.

The Chargers font just seems incredibly forced. The wordmark, which save for a few tweaks is the same one from the last set, is rather bold and roundish. The numbers the Bolts went with are angular to the point of redundancy. They do drag the entire new set down a notch, in my opinion.

Oh dear Lord...I completely forgot about the Bengals' jersey numbers. I believe DIN was the "hot" font at the time of the Bengals' makeover (sorta like Agency has become lately). Din + dropshadow = teh suck. Then, to make it so bad, this past year, the Detroit Lions also went the Din route and crafted some tear-drop numbers out of that. Like the Chargers, Falcons, and Cardinals...entirely too forced.

I think most of us uni nuts can tell the diffrerence between carefully crafted uniqueness and hackneyed or forced uniqueness. Former Jags, current Eagles, Ravens (shoot, I'll even throw a bone towards the Texans)...examples of the former. Cardinals, Falcons, Chargers, Lions...examples of the latter.

*of course, this is all just my opinion...my two rusted Lincolns.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...