Cleveland Gladiators

CBOhioU

Strange that this identity/team name has survived three locales. That's not very AFL-like.

You're counting Pittsburgh in that list, and that was a different franchise... but yeah, that's strange.

Have we finally run out of useful team nicknames?

Im a died-in-the-wool Cleveland fan. With that, comes a despising of all things Pittsburgh. The first thing I thought of when they announced the final name (they considered others) was going to be "Gladiators" was that Pittsburgh used to have an AFL team called the same thing.

Ill get over it since I love the AFL and have been calling for Cleveland to get a team for years (once had an email exchange with Cavs owner Dan Gilbert on the subject), but that Pittspuke thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth....

I'm not a huge fan of anything Pittsburgh either, but I definately think the old Pittsburgh Gladiators helmet looked a billion times better than everything else in the New Jersey/Las Vegas/Cleveland Gladiator era.

I disagree only because it looked like clip art to me. It's a nice design but had no real pop to it. Of course back then not alot of logos were as unique as what teams use now.

Which is probably why I like it so much. It was pretty creative for it's time.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Destroyers unis looked a lot better when they were in Buffalo though. Tampa Bay should be interesting since they are only going with the starburst logo on the helmet.

It's about time!!

http://www.arenafan.com/news/?page=origcol...mp;article=2707

The new owner actually changed his minds and went with the old one.

Damn them!!

They're not necessarily bad, just unremarkable, click-and-fill template work. Unfortunately, the three best aspects of their uniform from the Vegas days are gone: the unique number font (which actually departed in the switch to Russell last year,) the sword helmet stripe (also dropped last year,) and the secondary logo on the sleeves - the "G" in the round shield with crossed swords behind it.

Still, the most shocking thing to me is that Ferraro didn't just recycle last year's uniforms.

Wait... are you saying Ferraro is a cheap owner? :D

(I'd say he's the cheapest in all sports, BTW).

2008stormhelmet.jpg

And that would have been so much better. Unfortuately, we'll still be getting the full wordmark on the helmets, along with that gray facemask, which has no business being there.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived