Packers' "G"

darkhaha

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are the 1960s helmet variations.

Football-shaped "G", thin background:

0910_large.jpg

By the end of the Lombardi era, it had been rounded off into an oval, but retained the thinner background:

0123_large.jpg

I would have thought that the thicker outline came from the Forrest Gregg re-design, but that doesn't seem to be the case:

lofton1-oldschool.jpg

I would have thought that the thicker outline came from the Forrest Gregg re-design, but that doesn't seem to be the case:

Gothamite, as the guru of Packer uniform details I know you know this (although maybe some others don't), but an interesting tidbit from HelmetHut is that the original Packer logos were two-piece: the white "G" was put on top of the green football/oval.

I suspect the thicker outline comes from changing decal suppliers over the years - some supplier probably did it that way and they decided to keep the look.

Also, I suspect the logo is higher these days because more and more players wear high-hookup chinstraps. The higher logo is out of the way of the chinstrap.

Gothamite, as the guru of Packer uniform details I know you know this (although maybe some others don't), but an interesting tidbit from HelmetHut is that the original Packer logos were two-piece: the white "G" was put on top of the green football/oval.

I suspect the thicker outline comes from changing decal suppliers over the years - some supplier probably did it that way and they decided to keep the look.

I did know that, actually. But had forgotten it. You can see it pretty clearly on this 1968 helmet, repainted for the Pro Bowl:

12112.jpg

I wonder when they went to one two-color decal? According to this, it would appear to have been early 1970s.

And you want to see a thick outline, check out this late 1980s version.

Also, I suspect the logo is higher these days because more and more players wear high-hookup chinstraps. The higher logo is out of the way of the chinstrap.

That was my thought as well. Still don't like the look, though.

(and you have no idea how hard it is to post this):

^_^

I do actually.

Make you a deal - you don't mention Tony, I won't mention Curtis Enis. :D

OMG!

DEAL!

You're making me want to call my therapist. You know how long it took to get that mess out of my head? What a tremendous waste that guy was.

Hey, there's always Ryan Leaf.

When we're down about past draft busts, we can get together and laugh at the Chargers.

There's also our pot smoking friend Ricky Williams. Thats a favorite one of mine, considering it was Ditka who basically put his job on the line to get that guy. We know how that ended.

As a Bears fan, I don't ordinarily like to give comfort to the Packers, but in this instance I will make an exception.

Rashaan Salaam

Curtis Enis

Cade McNown

David Terrell

... and it looks like we can safely add ...

Rex Grossman

Cedric Benson

Merry Christmas, cheeseheads.

Hey, there's always Ryan Leaf.

When we're down about past draft busts, we can get together and laugh at the Chargers.

There's also our pot smoking friend Ricky Williams. Thats a favorite one of mine, considering it was Ditka who basically put his job on the line to get that guy. We know how that ended.

For all those who laugh about the John Hadl "Lawrence Welk trade" (a-one and-a-two and-a-three), how many NFL figures can be said to have traded EVERY DRAFT CHOICE for one player? (And, for that matter, one player in the position that lasts about 4 1/2 years on average.)

Packers-2.png

Archived