Packers' "G"

darkhaha

There have been many interesting variations in the Packers helmet decals: the changing of the shape; the varying line weight of the border; the move from two-part decals to green ink on a white base (and now both inks on a clear base). However, I have always thought the oddest variations occurred in the late eighties and early nineties. Very heavy (and often uneven) borders, inconsistent decal placement, and even instances of the decal being placed with a strong bias to the rear of the helmet, can be seen in these shots.

2085758383_d04a294e08_b.jpg

2067982549_0d428a2ca6_o.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the comparison.

I don't much like the look of those, either. Aesthetically, I think it should go somewhere just below where it resides now. Just north of the center of the helmet.

Agreed... too high or too low just doesn't look right. Somewhere close to centered is the most pleasing placement.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Could it have something to do with helmet types? I know helmets are quite different now compared even to early 90's. I don't know just spit balling here.

I don't think the helmet design drove the decal positioning - the change started occuring before the Riddell Revolution came into widespread use. To me the big change is that just about everyone is now using the high hookup chinstrap. Back in the 1970s you never saw anyone with a Riddell helmet use the high hookup chinstrap, only those with Macgregor (later Kelley) and Bike (now Schutt) helmets. A few Riddell wearers started using the high hookup chinstraps in the 1980s, and the use has really increased. Now a lot of players wind up with the end of the chinstrap covering the logo. It looks like the Packers first tried moving the logo back, now they have moved it up.

2085758383_d04a294e08_b.jpg

When you look at photos 3, 4 and 5, you can clearly see that the snaps for the high-mount chinstraps are what pushed the placement of these logos toward the rear of the helmet. By moving the logo up on the shell slightly, this is avoided, thus allowing the logo to move forward to a more centered position. I think it needs to come down between the current position and this position seen here. You can't have it too close to the earhole because of the temple-area snaps on many helmets, as these photos attest, but the current position is much too high.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

OK, now that we have that solved, let's start on why they only have "G" instead of "GB". :D

What are you talking about? There's a B in the logo ...

green-bay.gif

Well, that was from the movie "Semi-Tough." Which had Paul Hornung as the TV color guy, and he's always called the Packers' hometown "Greenbay." And that's probably the fault of the logo.

Packers-2.png

Have to admit that I've never seen it. Had no idea that Hornung was in it. I have DVD copies of Head and The Longest Yard, solely to complete the Ray Nitschke canon. :D

Not a bad start for a Packers re-design, though it needs work. Love the colors, though. :P

And just as an aside, to show how bizarrely conservative studios have become in recent years, check out the difference between the original poster and the recent DVD release:

Semi_Tough_poster.jpgSemi_Tough.jpg

The Packer G was moved up the helmet after the 1993 season. I also think it's because of the chinstraps.

Here's Brett in 1993...

287360fy7.jpg

...and in 1994.

1431621ga4.jpg

You can see how the G inched higher up the side. Me, I HATE that. Put it back down where you found it...and while you're at it, give my jerseys back their other stripes! :cursing:

Now on Facebook. And Twitter.

Archived