A very, very rare Red Sox (?) cap

Swiss

Parody is a fair use defense, but it can only be used once infringement has been proven. The important thing is that it is a "defense," not a "right." You can't just go around changing everyone's logo's a little, calling it a parody and get away with it. Fair use defense is kind of like saying, "yes we are infringing, but..." and courts don't have to let you off. Even with a fair use defense, you can end up owing damages.

True, but "fair use" and "parody" don't necessarily apply to something whose first purpose is to make money.

Parody is a fair use defense, but it can only be used once infringement has been proven. The important thing is that it is a "defense," not a "right." You can't just go around changing everyone's logo's a little, calling it a parody and get away with it. Fair use defense is kind of like saying, "yes we are infringing, but..." and courts don't have to let you off. Even with a fair use defense, you can end up owing damages.

True, but "fair use" and "parody" don't necessarily apply to something whose first purpose is to make money.

Right, but it can apply to a money-making parody, but that is just one of the many factors courts will look at. A classic example is 2 Live Crew's parody of "Oh, Pretty Woman" which took some direct lyrics from the original song and no doubt made money from record sales, but the court held the parody was allowed. To sum everything up...it's complicated, and no one can say for sure.

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

Browsing across the Web, I found this cap called "Acapulco Gold - Beantown American Needle Cap".

beantown_1.jpg

4648087.jpg

acapulco-gold-beantown-hat.jpg

Japanese link and American link here!

I like this cap... but what does it mean with that bizarre "B"?

You honestly didn't see the "aG"? Ya gotta take a minute to look at it before you ask everyone man.

Not to sound like a crab ass, but for a board focusing on logo design and other design elements, we sure seem to have some unobservant people on here.

Honestly, before I read the thread, I saw a DC. Thought it was some weird Red Sox marketing ploy to Washington fans or something.

Now I see it wasn't quite that simple. Ohboy.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Archived