Premier Basketball League

gueman

wow...Arkansas Impact...hello MSPaint!

The Defenders logo looks inspired (pose and position of the shield) by the Austin af2 team's logo...their name slips my recollection at the moment.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

Hardly a challenger to the ABA. Most of the logos are perfectly acceptable for a minor league and a majority of the teams have plural names. Yeah, the Arkansas Impact logo is no great shakes, but it's not ABA bad. It's pre-1990s NBA bad.

So the ABA still reigns supreme as the lord of the ugly.

20082614447.png

Interesting. I thought Rochester was one of the few ABA teams that actually drew.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Can congress initiate a law banning the use of the word 'Dawg' in a team name and logo?

Haven't we moved passed that moniker? Everytime I see and or hear that word I think of either a totally uncultured overly white sounding white guy or Randy Jackson (not much of a difference in my book)

Lets end this insanity now.

Can congress initiate a law banning the use of the word 'Dawg' in a team name and logo?

Seriously. There's got to be some rulebook for minor leagues that requires at least one team named "Dawgs." Also, at least 1/2 the teams in the league must have some sort of non-sensical compound name -- River Hawks, Sea Dawgs, Nighthawks, etc.

On the the upside, the Fury logo is pretty decent, in a PHX/MIA derivative way. If you watch the league's homepage long enough, you'll see a pic of Gheorghe Muresan herding a flock of gradeskoolers. Good fun.

jdub -- yes, there's a big Mexican immigrant population in CHI. And the UW Huskies still suck.

jdub -- . And the UW Huskies still suck.

Wow Eric, can you at least remember this at least

20-17? Fork em Devils

Seriously though, great logos for the Railers, Fury and Defenders, the rest of them are meh. Better than the ABA by far. But I will agree with Eric though, the Fury looks like the Suns and Heat had a child

Interesting as well to note that at least three of those teams are former ABA squads...Rochester, Maryland and Quad Cities...

According to this morning's Baltimore Sun, all of the teams are former ABA teams.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Interesting as well to note that at least three of those teams are former ABA squads...Rochester, Maryland and Quad Cities...

According to this morning's Baltimore Sun, all of the teams are former ABA teams.

Well, with more franchises, current and past, isn't EVERY city in North America a former ABA team?

Chicago Aztecas? Is there some large Native American/Hisapanic population in Chicago I wasn't aware of?

Maybe I need to do a little more research, but I thought that futebol and beisbol were more popular within the hispanic community than basketball....waaaaaaay more popular. It seems a bit weird to me that the team is trying to capitalize on that specific market.

Rochester, Wilmington, Maryland, Jacksonville and Quad Cities are all former ABA teams

Rockford was the Saulk Valley Rollers and originally the Hammond Rollers last season in the ABA and changed their name to the Rock River Fury before joining the PBL and becoming Rockford.

Reading was originally going to join the ABA this season

Dallas, Chicago and Arkansas are all expansion teams that had nothing to do with the ABA

Signature intentionally left blank

Chicago Aztecas? Is there some large Native American/Hisapanic population in Chicago I wasn't aware of?

The Aztecas are playing in the near-western suburb of Cicero, which has become predominantly Hispanic over the past couple of decades. So the name fits well. But I doubt they'll draw anyway.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Interesting. I thought Rochester was one of the few ABA teams that actually drew.

They were.

They finally grew fed up with ownership shenanigans/lost in an attempted coup d'etat and left the ABA.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I believe that the 2000 U.S. Census pegged Chicago's Hispanic/Latino population as comprising more than a quarter (something like 26 or 27%, if I remember correctly) of the city's total population, with most of those respondents identifying themselves as being of Mexican descent. In fact, Chicago's substantial Mexican-American population was the reason that Jose Vergara considered the city as a potential host when he was selecting a home market for Major League Soccer's Club Deportivo Chivas USA.

jdub -- yes, there's a big Mexican immigrant population in CHI. And the UW Huskies still suck.

Interesting. I had no idea.

As for the Huskies....that's not exactly a news flash. They've sucked for quite some time. :D

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Archived