Rebranding the NHL: New Jersey Devils

GFB

I love the update on their current logo, but the Devil logo reminds me a lot of the Buffalo Sabres goat-head too much. Great work, otherwise!

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love this re-brand !!! I like the Primary logo but i think it would suit as the secondary better , The NJ logo will always be the Devils logo in my opinion , so switch that around and you have an amazing set here . The territory mark is also very , very cool and i would love to that with a white background and red circle around it on a black jersey .

The Jerseys are flawless and i wish they would have done something like that when the rest of the NHL updated . The jersey is simple yet has a modern and classy feel to them , exactly what the devils are all about . Love the jerseys and the rest of the set .

Amazing work as always ...

I think the primary logo needs more contrast. The transition from dark red to black is a bit too muddied. The design itself is awesome.

With that said, the logo itself may be a bit too satanic for the team/league to adopt. With those already whining about the name, the only way a logo such as this will be adopted is if it were a lot friendlier looking.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

As a Devils fan, I am not sure the NJ logo that they have now can be topped. But that is kinda the point of your series. It is really hard to do anything with the handful of traditional teams the NHL has left (of which the Devils are one). I usually HATE any attempt to redo a Devils logo. I don't hate this. In fact, I kinda like it. I agree that the head may not be a primary but I would buy a hat or a t-shirt. Well done GFB and Davidson

BCBannersSig.png

I hate the Devils. Hate hate hate.

But I like this.

I think that the updated "NJ" logo should be the primary. Under ordinary circumstances, I'd say to hell with tradition and put the devil's head on the shoulders, and use it for the alternate, especially since I think it'd enhance the "devil's horn" striping thing you've got going on along the sides.

While the devil's head is, as they say, TEH 53X, I don't think it'd work well with the traditional Devil's uniform that you've continued to use in this concept. There's more dark red in the logo than red, and there's no dark red at all on the uniform. Like q-freak said, there's no contrast.

Still, you guys did a good job, I think.

philly.png

While I think the current NJ primary approaches iconic status, I'm not in the camp that believes it's untouchable. That said, I'm not as sold on your version as others. I don't think anyone's mentioned it, but the horns remind me too much of lobster claws. As for your devil head primary, you mentioned going for an actual "Jersey Devil" look. Some have been comparing this version to the old Sabres primary, Beauty and the Beast, and so on. I definitely think it looks too bull-like. From everything I've seen and read, isn't the Jersey Devil's head supposed to be more goat-like? I'd tweak it in that direction--maybe include the neck and some semblance of the wings to keep it intimidating, if you think a goat-like head might look too soft.

It's AWESOME. I love it, but I think the optimal look would be to have the NJ logo on the red jersey as well, albeit with a white background behind the NJ (i think it would look better, perhaps not). The devil logo would make a great shoulder patch. I think the NJ logo that's black and maroon would look good with a white accent or outline. But I gotta shut F up and start givin you the props you deserve, DAMN!

FloridaGators1.png

The whole series is awesome. I love every single one you do and can not wait till the next one comes out.

With the Devils, to me, it has the feel of a "Jersey Devil". Everyone has to remember he is doing a "Jersey Devil", witch is something completely different then a "Devil".

That Devils logo is very nice. But like mentioned earlier, it should be looking to its left (of course to be politically and religiously correct).

Why does it have to look left? I think I missed something here.

With the Devils, to me, it has the feel of a "Jersey Devil". Everyone has to remember he is doing a "Jersey Devil", witch is something completely different then a "Devil".

Right, but below is what's considered the definitive look of the Jersey Devil. I don't know if I described it right a few posts up, but I feel like this is more what he should be going for to depict the specific beast, instead of a more generic "devil".

jersey-devil.jpg

hey man I love the logo set. i think the design of the devil head is spectacular and looks very professional (and not like a junior team), but I think it would probably work best as a third jersey logo and perhaps on a black jersey to make it look extra menacing.

I can't say I like the third jersey. Typically I quite enjoy your original jersey designs but the alternate just looks like a practice jersey and I am a little disappointed. Any jersey without clearly defined stripes, curvy stripe designs and basically uses two colours will look like a practice jersey. Buffalo managed to escape that with the use of several colours (although i still hate the buffalo jersey).

I am also a little disappointed with the jersey design of the home and away. It is pretty much the same as their current except it feels like it is only partially finished, like it is missing something. I think since you had completely changed the logo you should have gone ahead and changed the jersey template as well because although the logo is stellar it looks strange on the existing NJ jersey.

You've done a great job on your designs but I am just not feeling the combination.

keep em coming!

First off, great work with the logo. The wordmark I think you could make something a lot more franchise classic, but ways I think you could improve:

1. Put the devil head as part of a black alternate uniform, and delegate it as a secondary/tertiary logo. I think it would look badass as an alt.

2. Create some sort of other symbol for the shoulder. I was thinking like a devil's pitchfork and a hockey stick *much like the florida panther palm tree/hockey stick type symbol, possibly combined with the devil head alternate?

3. Make the NJ logo the primary and put it on the home reds and road unis.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Your placement of the logos seems a little backwards. You should use your (perfectly) updated NJ logo on the more traditional sweaters and use the devil head on the alt. Otherwise, you nailed it.

I'm not even a big hockey guy (outside of UW hockey), but seeing a thread containing one of your concepts is like opening a b-day gift... they're THAT good.

Archived