ESPN is at it again...

ShinyHubCaps

anyone have a screenshot? does it say "Patriots", "The Patriots", "Pats" or "NE" or what?

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
anyone have a screenshot? does it say "Patriots", "The Patriots", "Pats" or "NE" or what?

That one. <_<

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That one. <_<

Actually on ESPNews its "PATRIOTS"

Didnt they have a separate tab for Barry Bonds too?

I don't think they did...but I think that's because Barry Bonds is an "eeevilll cheater" and "despicable human being", and not worthy of tab status in ESPN's increasingly biased world view.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That one. <_<

Actually on ESPNews its "PATRIOTS"

Didnt they have a separate tab for Barry Bonds too?

I don't think they did...but I think that's because Barry Bonds is an "eeevilll cheater" and "despicable human being", and not worthy of tab status in ESPN's increasingly biased world view.

I don't think there was a separate Bonds tab, but as soon as MLB popped up, the first "story" or whatever would be "CHASING AARON: Bonds 0-2, 2BB" or, what was completely pointless, "Bonds: DNP"

I don't think there was a separate Bonds tab, but as soon as MLB popped up, the first "story" or whatever would be "CHASING AARON: Bonds 0-2, 2BB" or, what was completely pointless, "Bonds: DNP"

It actually started with "Chasing Ruth" at about Bonds' number 704 or so. Once he passed Ruth, a breathed a sigh of relief because I thought they wouldn't run it. After all, he was still so far from catching Aaron... but they segued right into Chasing Aaron, while Bonds had 713 if I recall correctly.

By the way, I like your examples. Those seemed the most common, walks and DNPs.

espn is the entertainment tonite Microsoft of sports

There, fixed that for ya. :) There's a reason why ESPN thinks it can get away with stuff like this, and it's the same reason why M$ thinks it can get away with charging hundreds of dollars a pop for bloated and buggy PC operating systems.

Nothing beats having such a dominant share of the market that you might as well be a monopoly.

CCSLC signature.png

espn is the entertainment tonite Microsoft of sports

There, fixed that for ya. :) There's a reason why ESPN thinks it can get away with stuff like this, and it's the same reason why M$ thinks it can get away with charging hundreds of dollars a pop for bloated and buggy PC operating systems.

Nothing beats having such a dominant share of the market that you might as well be a monopoly.

Go, Versus!!!!! Or FSN (if it every tries again to be more than a conglomeration of separate regional networks)!!!!!

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

If ESPN is Microsoft, then I assume Versus is for the geeks who live in their parents' basement and use Linux and the other *nix OSes? And who is the Apple of sports networks? I'm not a smarmy person, so I wouldn't know what the haute couture folks are getting their sports these days...

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

ESPN is not the only media firm up the Patriots derriere, not after you read this story:

CBS' eye on Patriot Place

OK, it's actually tied to development around Gillette Stadium, but you get the point.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

ESPN is not the only media firm up the Patriots derriere, not after you read this story:

OK, it's actually tied to development around Gillette Stadium, but you get the point.

Well, here a good reason why you would suspect that....

The joint venture is the brainchild of Kraft and his friend Leslie Moonves, CBS Corp.?s chief executive.

I saw, I came, I left.

i'll agree what they're doing with the patriots is bad now, but what's worse is for those nhl fans who want to see the bottom line and as soon as it gets to the nhl tab, espn immediately goes into commercial and doesn't restart from the point they last left off. or when they get to the nhl every other cycle.

ESPN really needs to quit shoving the Patriots down our throats. We get it, they're playing well, but due to one cakewalk schedule and a porous league this season, they may go undefeated. I hope Miami beats them, and I know it's probably not going to happen, but hey, we can all dream.

Monica01.png

Well, here a good reason why you would suspect that....

The joint venture is the brainchild of Kraft and his friend Leslie Moonves, CBS Corp.’s chief executive.

Patriot Place isn't really a "theme park" itself. It's a shopping mall/entertainment facility that is located adjacent to Gillette Stadium. Think of it as a resort that has a stadium.

The CBS development is no different from Planet Hollywood or Hard Rock Cafe...just that it's CBS-themed. Coincidentally, CBS covers the AFC during the NFL season, so there will be some strong cross-branding going on, but I wouldn't read into it much more than that.

I would expect more such ventures being built in the future around other sports venues, depending on the available real estate.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Patriot Place isn't really a "theme park" itself. It's a shopping mall/entertainment facility that is located adjacent to Gillette Stadium. Think of it as a resort that has a stadium.

The CBS development is no different from Planet Hollywood or Hard Rock Cafe...just that it's CBS-themed. Coincidentally, CBS covers the AFC during the NFL season, so there will be some strong cross-branding going on, but I wouldn't read into it much more than that.

I would expect more such ventures being built in the future around other sports venues, depending on the available real estate.

I caught that announcement when I was barely paying attention to the game, and the conceptual drawing had a portion to it attached to a middle deck of the stadium. :blink:

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

ESPN really needs to quit shoving the Patriots down our throats. We get it, they're playing well, but due to one cakewalk schedule and a porous league this season, they may go undefeated. I hope Miami beats them, and I know it's probably not going to happen, but hey, we can all dream.

Okay, I'll grant you ESPN's going a bit overboard promoting the Patriots, but let's be honest, this is by no means the first time they've over promoted sports' current flavor-of-the-month. Even as a Pats fan I think they go overboard. If I want that kind of homerism, I'll tune into the local stations. I look at ESPN as a national coverage outlet and while I enjoy my team's success as much as any fan would, I find this cuts into the national coverage that it should be showing. As it is I find there's plenty of other sports happening across the country, the continent, and around the world that becoming a personal PR machine for whatever single team or player that's sitting on top of the current heap.

That said.....

Let's not go over the top trying to downplay the Patriots' accomplishments though; their schedule is by no means a cakewalk. About the only thing that I would grant is that the AFC East, which in recent years was ranked as one of the league's strongest is hands down the weakest. Even so, they've played the Chargers, Steelers, and Colts, all of which are or will be winners of their divisions, the Cowboys which are the best team in the NFC let alone the NFC East, and have had a few scares from a couple of teams which are better than the record suggests. In addition to that it is just possible that the team really is just that good, that collectively talented and just that well coached. Plus, I again wearily point at that despite the weakness of their division and remaining schedule that an upset is still possible (although highly unlikely) and that even if any team goes unbeaten in the regular season, all bets are off in single elimination play-offs. Upsets aren't rare, and quite often the Super Bowl does not involve the two teams with the best regular season records. I'd rather have a team suffer one loss in the regular season than a loss in the playoffs.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

I don't know if the groping got to them, but the tab isn't there now. Maybe because we are mathematically far from the next Patriots game, and they'll give us more leading up to the next one (Dolphins with the upset. I'll stake my 91st percentile on Pro Football Pick'em for it!).

Anyway, the Patriots have beaten a lot of good teams, yes. I don't consider the Chargers to be that good because of the weak AFC West. Broncos are OK, but other than that, the Chargers had better win the division, which does not make them a good team in the overall picture. The fact is that the Patriots can win, but they are a little arrogant to whoop on teams like they do and leave Brady in with HUGE leads late in the game, so we're all pulling for them to lose, regardless of how good they are.

So their accomplishments are good, but I'd still like to see them fail. But that's just a result of playing off of what we hear, and I hear that the Patriots are the best team ever and whoop on all other teams and run up the score, and I react negatively while a Patriots fan will react positively.

Cakewalk?! When you've got a schedule in which half the teams on it are currently at .500 or better, that's no cakewalk.

If you want a cakewalk, look at the 1972 Dolphins' schedule. They played only two teams, the Chiefs and Giants, that finished their respective seasons with a winning record (prior to the postseason, of course).

I'll grant you the AFC East is in a down year (aside from NE and possibly Buffalo), but come on.

By the way, in the interest of full disclosure, who's your team? Obviously it's not the Pats.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Archived