Dolphins Future/Retro

fishheatcats

Ever since the Dolphins switched to their current logo/uniforms in '97, they pretty much haven't done anything at all on the field. I decided to recall the winning days of Shula, Csonka, Griese, Marino, Duper and Clayton. I've updated to white inside the old logo to give the dolphin itself more depth, and give it a little more attitude. Also, instead of reverting to the old wordmark, which I do like, I went with a combination of the current one and the basic script they had in the old AFL. No true alternate with the jerseys, because I lost the navy to go with the retro style, and the orange just looks bad. No all white mono either because for the last 5-6 years, the Dolphins always wear that at home, to force the other teams to wear dark, and get the "heat/humidity advantage"(which doesn't seem to be giving much of an advantage because over that span they've not been to, not to mention won, a playoff game). Because almost every other team in the league has dark home jerseys, I've only seen the aqua jerseys like 4-5 times over the last 6 years. C&C.

Logo and wordmark

dolphinsnewnd7.gif

Uniforms

dolphinsconcepthr5.gif

White Mono/Orange Alternate/What I wish the current Fins alternate was

dolphinswhitemonody8.gifdolphinsorangealtse3.gifdolphinscurrentnavyro5.gif

when just looking at the logo, i thought it was a downgrade, because i really like the new dolphin they've been using in miami...

however, seeing on the helmets, it looks clean and perfect.

Losing the navy in the logo robs it of definition and is a downgrade. The sleeve stripes are too big. The current wordmark is dated, but this one seems a bit dated also. There just doesn't seem to be anything fresh about this look.

Return the navy to the logo, standardize the striping between the helmet and pants and keep the incorporation of navy in the uniform itself to a minimum. This would include the dropping of the navy drop shadow.

Just my 2¢

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Not bad (for a team who will have the #1 overall pick in the 2008 draft..... and is now 0-13..... and down to their last 3 chances to win a game in the 2007-08 NFL season)!

THAT'S why the dolphin is so pissed off.

As far as some of the other comments, I do like the current logo they use, and the use of navy(wish they used it instead of orange for the alternates), but I wanted to re-imagine the classic uniforms and logo, that's why no navy. kewp said the sun is too round, but it's a sun, and has always been, and will always be, perfectly round. Also quantum said there is nothing fresh about this look, but that was the idea, for a retro look(like when the Jets switched back to their old uniforms and logo). Thanks for the comments, and I may go back in a tweak a few things like the stripes on the sleeves, but personally I really like the look so far.

The only thing that bothers me about this update is the font. I think it looks great, but it doesn't match up with the "M" on the helmet of the dolphin. I know there isn't much you can do about it (and I'm sure we don't want to see the true logo on his helmet; that would be awkward), but it just disturbs me a bit.

I also think white on white would be perfect for this set.

The only thing that bothers me about this update is the font. I think it looks great, but it doesn't match up with the "M" on the helmet of the dolphin.

The "M" on the helmet has never matched any other font the Dolphins have used over the years. I tried it out with the font I used for the wordmark, among others, and it just didn't look quite right.

My only problems are that the sun in the logo seems too round in shape, and the wordmark is not working for me at all. The uniforms and the dolphin look great though. Nice job on this!

The sun is too round?

Would you prefer it to be an oblong sun?

Everyone loves a roundel.

• 1 month later...

Archived