Clippers and Lakers

Shroinke

I didn't realize it at the time (coming home from being out of town), but the Clippers and Lakers played home games at Staples Center on Sunday.

I don't follow either of LA's teams that closely, but this is the first time I can remember them both playing at home on the same day since they moved in

to the new Staples Center in 2000.

Must have been a real pain to take out and replace the court and make other changes to go from "Clippers" to "Lakers" setting.

Anyone know of other times LA has hosted a "double header"?

I didn't realize it at the time (coming home from being out of town), but the Clippers and Lakers played home games at Staples Center on Sunday.

I don't follow either of LA's teams that closely, but this is the first time I can remember them both playing at home on the same day since they moved in

Must have been a real pain to take out and replace the court and make other changes to go from "Clippers" to "Lakers" setting.

How is that any different than the Knicks having a matinee and the Rangers playing at night, or in Chicago, or Boston, or wherever?

In fact, I'd guess its easier to go basketball-basketball w/ two courts than basketball/hockey to the other...

Before the Devils moved out, they had day-nighters with the Nets all the time....

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

How is that any different than the Knicks having a matinee and the Rangers playing at night, or in Chicago, or Boston, or wherever?

In fact, I'd guess its easier to go basketball-basketball w/ two courts than basketball/hockey to the other...

Before the Devils moved out, they had day-nighters with the Nets all the time....

They've done it at the Spectrum before -- not necessarily with the Flyers and Sixers, but I remember going to a Harlem Globetrotters game in the late 80's and seeing them take apart the basketball court in preparation for a Flyers game that night.

philly.png

The Clippers and Lakers do it alot and have for the past few seasons.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

They've done it several times in each of the shared seasons. Staying in basketball configuration means a simple switch-out of the court.

At first, I thought you could have a different paint job on either side of the same piece of wood. But it ain't THAT simple since the playing side has to be treated -- and that would be damaged if it would be placed face-down.

I think the timimg of the games are 1:00 (PT) for the Clippers and then 6:30 for the Lakers.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

I know at the Garden it takes about an Hour to do Knicks-to-St. John's switch (although that doesn't change the whole court just baselines, center logo, and three point arc) But that's probably about what it takes for Lakers-Clippers.

It takes about 2 1/2 hours to do Knicks-to-Rangers. They very rarely (if ever) do Rangers-to-Knicks because that takes a lot more time. (there's a lot more wiring and stuff to be done on the hoops court and press boxes which takes more time then Hockey... taking it all down though is relativly simple) So on double-headers the Knicks get the matinee.

However, most of the time spent between games is used to clean up the fans trash in the stands. The crew that puts the court together know what they are doing and get in and get out!

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

It takes about two hours to do a "Clippers to Lakers" (or vice versa) changeover, while it takes maybe about a hour more for a hockey to basketball changeover (or vice versa). They each use their hardwood floors. There have been multiple times over the years that they had a Clips-Kings same day doubleheader, Lakers-Kings doubleheader, and on and on. Being that Staples Center is one of the busiest arenas around, early February is when everyone gets kicked out for the Grammys (which I think they may move across the street to the new Nokia Theater eventually).

Archived