Green Bay Packers

mania

I really wanted this to not only be a step forward, but not a modernized piece of trash that the fanbase would just hate.

I darkened the colors, basing them off the Lambeau Field 50th Anniversary patch. I know the departure to a deep gold compared to the more maize gold they've used is probably the most jarring change.

For the jerseys, even though if on the front and back views I might not have pulled them off the best(still learning Illustrator on a lot of things), but on the side view, it's influenced from the 1984 jerseys, where you had the stripes and the logo.

I included the old Lombardi GB logo above the nameplate, trying to revive interest in that logo.

The pants are influenced by an SI that I saw from the 60s. I love the similar look on the Giants away pants and thought they'd look great here.

Well... have at it. :)

packers1.png

Well ... I don't hate it.

Not sure I like the font. I think, being one of the original NFL franchises, either the Cowboys throwback (the one with the extra serifs on the 3s) or the font the Packers use for their logo might be more appropriate:

h2007_2.jpg

I think the stripes would look better in gold/white/gold instead of white/gold/white. However, I think stripes are really tough to pull off on today's sleeveless jerseys. I would limit striping to the cuff. I like the G on the bicep myself, but that would remind others of the Forrest Gregg days, which were something less than a positive experience.

I also think the collars should stay the same color as the jerseys.

I've been trying to figure out which metallic gold would work best for the Pack. Not Vegas gold (too tan) or Purdue/Saints "old gold" (too brown). I've preferred something like the Georgia Tech gold as pictured, but yours may work too:

ham1118.jpg

Packers-2.png

I like the switch to a gold color versus the current. Not so fond of the numbers though...the letters in the workmark seem unevenly spaced too. Just my two cents. Good job!

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Personally, I love it.

I hate the yellow they use now, and think this is a very nice modernization without risking too mush history.

Great work as far as I'm concerned, one of the best football concepts I've seen on this board.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Well ... I don't hate it.

Not sure I like the font. I think, being one of the original NFL franchises, either the Cowboys throwback (the one with the extra serifs on the 3s) or the font the Packers use for their logo might be more appropriate:

h2007_2.jpg

I think the stripes would look better in gold/white/gold instead of white/gold/white. However, I think stripes are really tough to pull off on today's sleeveless jerseys. I would limit striping to the cuff. I like the G on the bicep myself, but that would remind others of the Forrest Gregg days, which were something less than a positive experience.

I also think the collars should stay the same color as the jerseys.

I've been trying to figure out which metallic gold would work best for the Pack. Not Vegas gold (too tan) or Purdue/Saints "old gold" (too brown). I've preferred something like the Georgia Tech gold as pictured, but yours may work too:

ham1118.jpg

Oh, and to repeat myself from another thread ... get some green pants for the roads. The road unis look insufficiently green.

Packers-2.png

Just a couple of things:

The thing with the collar, is that I actually was thinking this would look best with a collar more like the Chargers collar, where it's a single color, but for the most part is almost subliminal in the cut of the jersey.

The font, I wanted something that really represented Wisconsin's German ancestry, and I thought in that particular case, it worked very well.

Things I like about this:

1. The inclusion of the Lombardi-era GB

2. The switch from the current yellow (although I'm not in love with the shade you've chosen)

Things I dislike about this:

1. The font -- The name Packers isn't a German-only name, so the choice of font isn't a good fit. I understand your thought process, it just doesn't work here. If this were a baseball concept, the font application would be appropriate. I think the name requires a more "blue-collar" font.

2. The pant striping -- I realize it is a throwback to a previous uniform, but it is a downgrade. The bold green and white stripes must be retained if pant striping is used.

3. The jersey striping -- Change the arrangement on the dark jersey and it's good to go.

4 . The sleeve logo -- Dump it. It isn't that everyone hated it, it is just that it is tied to the Forrest Gregg era and that is a bad thing. Plus, there's the issue of the ever-shrinking sleeve.

The jury is out on:

1. The number outline -- It's not bad on its own. Again, I think the font is a poor choice. Once a better font is used, I can make a call.

2. Green pants -- If added per the suggestion of others, it will depend on what is added to them. I'm opposed to plain green pants. Also, having similar striping to the Bears navy pants would be a bad choice too. If they had the Lombardi-era logo on them, they might be OK.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I guess I'm with all the other Packers fans here... I don't hate it. But I don't think most Packers fans would buy it.

My biggest beef though is the G's on the sleeve stripes. Most Packers fans would be remined of the Forrest Gregg regime and that's an era we'd all like to forget. I also agree that the Packers should always use the standard block font.

Maybe try finding a happy medium between this gold and the "gold" the Packers use now. Packers fans tend to take more subtle changes surprisingly well.

EDIT: Even though I still have the same criticisms as before, the more I look at these, the more I seem to like them. I guess my real beef with switching from yellow-gold to metallic gold is that it's been such a trendy move all over sports in the last 10-15 years and the Packers are one of the the few teams that still use actual yellow. Plus I always liked how the Packers are the ONLY team in the entire league with yellow shells and don't necessarily want to give that up to be the 3rd in the NFC with gold ones.

But like I said... the more I look at 'em, the more I like 'em. But if you must have a logo on the sleeves, try using the interlocking GB.

Well, I have frequently felt somewhat alone in being a Packer fan advocating a uniform change. So I'm predisposed to like this, but I don't think you quite have it.

I love the basic color scheme, using the Lambeau Field colors. They look a little dark to me, but that might be the crummy monitor I'm using now.

Is that the Reds' font? Doesn't feel that "German" to me, and I always thought Green Bay was historically more Belgian than anything. I don't think it works for football, especially for such a tradition-heavy franchise. And I hate double outlines as a rule. Better, as was previously said, with a balanced stencil-type block font if you want to use a custom font for the team.

I also appreciate your return to the old sleeve stripe style, but that ship has sailed. You can't even fit the five stripes on your template, much less an actual game jersey!

Interesting choice to go with white socks. Personally, I'd rather see them stick with the greens.

But green pants? No, thanks. Bad idea, they've experimented with it a couple times and it didn't work.

Also not a fan of merchandising details, such as the wordmark on the front and a logo at the base of the neck. Those only serve the gift shop, and don't read at all on the field.

The design seems to go in a couple directions at once, simplifying the helmet yet making the pants more busy. I think the helmet and pants should match.

But hey - anything that brings back the Lombardi "GB" is a good thing - would you consider moving it to the sleeve, further highlight it?

Would love to see what else you come up with - it's hard to make changes to a uniform like this, and you are to be commended for such a valiant effort.

I like it. I'm a big Reds fan, so I instantly recognized the Redlegs font. I agree, though, that maybe that font doesn't necessarily fit the Packers. I like the colors more than anything. I also don't want the G on the sleeve. I never liked it when they did it before. Looks cluttered up.

But green pants? No, thanks. Bad idea, they've experimented with it a couple times and it didn't work.

That's hard to say, given that there are few if any color photos of that look. Some Web site I found reports that they wore "dark green" pants in 1935 and then "kelly green" pants on occasion between 1950 and 1953.

The design seems to go in a couple directions at once, simplifying the helmet yet making the pants more busy. I think the helmet and pants should match.

I'd agree except that the Packers don't look very green with the white jerseys and gold helmets and pants. Unless you're suggesting a dark green helmet (road only?) ...

But hey - anything that brings back the Lombardi "GB" is a good thing - would you consider moving it to the sleeve, further highlight it?

That could go on either the sleeve or the pant hips, and if on the sleeve could be replaced as appropriate for the season, i.e. this year's Lambeau Field anniversary. Using that would avoid the dreaded logo overload. (One could also add the running Packer logo, except that three different logos on one uniform might be a bit much.)

Packers-2.png

That's hard to say, given that there are few if any color photos of that look. Some Web site I found reports that they wore "dark green" pants in 1935 and then "kelly green" pants on occasion between 1950 and 1953.

psst... that's Gothamite's site :D

I can deal with the sleeve stripes, even with Gregg's G, but I'm nost sure that it could work on current jersey cuts. I agree that the pants stripes are too thin. I'd go back to the mega-seriffed 60s number font as opposed to this one. Ixnay on the wordmark on both the front and the back. I've said it before and I'll say it again -- that's a weak effort to create identity where one doesn't otherwise exist.

Overall, I like it. I'm not sure how much I'd like it if it were real, but I do like it.

It's where I sit.

There seems to be a lotta hate for the current cheddar yellow they use, but I myself absolutely love it and think it's their trademark, so in that respect I don't like going darker gold. Also, I think you need a more original font than the new Cincinnati Reds. Something that looks more blue collar, like their current wordmark font. The logos on the sleeves don't look bad, all in all it's a solid modernization.

I don't mind the current gold. My biggest problem with the current Packers uniforms is the overly-busy striping.

psst... that's Gothamite's site :D

Ah, I never get tired of that.... :D

Shoot. I was going to string him along a little. :P

But since we're talking about that site he found, it might serve us to revisit the planned re-design that was abandoned at the last moment (warning: the colors are my own extrapolation, the rest has been taken from contemporaneous reports):

1828842716_626abfd224_o.gif

Personally, I would have loved that, although the shell is a little plain. Add a single green stripe down the center of the helmet and down the side of each pants leg, and you've got what might be my own personal Packers uniform....

There seems to be a lotta hate for the current cheddar yellow they use, but I myself absolutely love it and think it's their trademark, so in that respect I don't like going darker gold. Also, I think you need a more original font than the new Cincinnati Reds. Something that looks more blue collar, like their current wordmark font. The logos on the sleeves don't look bad, all in all it's a solid modernization.

It would be interesting to know, if somebody had a Web site that could answer this, how many years the Packers had cheddar gold and how many years they had the tan/khaki that was part of their '94 throwback uniform ... which arguably would translate into some form of metallic gold today.

Packers-2.png

It would be interesting to know, if somebody had a Web site that could answer this, how many years the Packers had cheddar gold and how many years they had the tan/khaki that was part of their '94 throwback uniform ... which arguably would translate into some form of metallic gold today.

Yeah, somebody should get right on that. :D

Given that the team colors came from Curly's stint at Notre Dame, I'm presuming that metallic gold was always what he was going for. They did wear a dark gold (or "old gold") jersey from 1923-1926. I think that gives the Packers a certain claim on the color, should they decide to use it.

As much as I really like the tan pants, and as much as I'd leap to make it a permanent change, I'm not sure how accurate that 1994 throwback was. I've seen tan Packer pants from the period, but they may well have been faded gold, and there is ample photographic evidence that the Packers did have gold pants as part of that set:

packers550water.jpg

Given the construction of those pants, and the material, it's easy to see where the idea of tan pants might have come from. Or maybe they did wear them - I'm not willing to rule anything out without doing more research.

Archived