Baseball in Ottawa

spartacat_12

For those of you who don't already know, Ottawa has just been granted a franchise in the Can-Am baseball league. The team will play in Lynx Stadium (or whatever it will be called next year). They are having a name the team contest to determine the new team name. Here is the link:

http://www.baseballottawa.com/index.php

I submitted the name Highlanders in honour of the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went with River Rabbits. Just went to Ottowa's wiki page and clicked around on the first tribe and their mythology and stuff, and I won't try to legitimize the name, it barely makes sense. I won't win anyway cause I'm a U.S. American.

Rough Riders.

make it so, ottawa.

That's what I suggested. No one else's using it right now, so why not?

Because the copyright on the name is owned by a guy in Chicago (Horn Chen...the last owner of the Riders) and nobody wants to pay him for it.

Rough Riders.

make it so, ottawa.

Because the copyright on the name is owned by a guy in Chicago (Horn Chen...the last owner of the Riders) and nobody wants to pay him for it.

Actually, Web, Chen no longer has any rights to the name - the CFL bought him out when the Renegades came around, on the off chance they wanted to use it. I suppose some kind of deal could be workable, seeing as how the CFL always seems to be scrambling for money.

I went Ottawa Capitals, because I suck at coming up for a name for Ottawa. ^_^

I was going to do Ottawa Silver Seven, but it wouldn't work for baseball, so I figured since Washington's had the Senators and Capitals, I'd go with the same for Ottawa.

It's pretty obvious that the name of the Ottawa team should be called the Beavers.

One of my fantasy baseball teams is named the Ottawa Beavers, and I hereby grant the Ottawa owners permission to use the name. :D

Imagine the Quebec Capitales playing the Ottawa Beavers for the Can-Am Championship. It shall be done.

Montreal, you're up next!

Rough Riders.

make it so, ottawa.

Actually, Web, Chen no longer has any rights to the name - the CFL bought him out when the Renegades came around, on the off chance they wanted to use it. I suppose some kind of deal could be workable, seeing as how the CFL always seems to be scrambling for money.

actually i have to disagree with you. mr. Chen does still own the rights to the name and the team attempted to buy the rights back from him but were unable to reach a deal hence the renegades... if the league did own the rights trust me the team would have been named the rough riders. and in recent news they have said that when a team returns, that they would want to get the old name back from him.

i submitted the Ottawa Colonels , lt. col john by was commisioned to build the rideau canal... i thought of submitting ottawa rideau, ottawa beavers, ottawa mar (big ass prehistoric fish in the ottawa river) and my personal fave, the Ottawa By's,, but i can only imagine the constant jokes on that one........ lol

Rough Riders.

make it so, ottawa.

actually i have to disagree with you. mr. Chen does still own the rights to the name and the team attempted to buy the rights back from him but were unable to reach a deal hence the renegades... if the league did own the rights trust me the team would have been named the rough riders. and in recent news they have said that when a team returns, that they would want to get the old name back from him.

i submitted the Ottawa Colonels , lt. col john by was commisioned to build the rideau canal... i thought of submitting ottawa rideau, ottawa beavers, ottawa mar (big ass prehistoric fish in the ottawa river) and my personal fave, the Ottawa By's,, but i can only imagine the constant jokes on that one........ lol

Do you have a source for this? Not that I doubt it, but the last I'd read back in 2005 - from CFL.ca no less - was that Chen wasn't in the picture any longer.

Archived