Baseball in Ottawa

spartacat_12

Rough Riders.

make it so, ottawa.

That's what I suggested. No one else's using it right now, so why not?

Because the copyright on the name is owned by a guy in Chicago (Horn Chen...the last owner of the Riders) and nobody wants to pay him for it.

Actually, Web, Chen no longer has any rights to the name - the CFL bought him out when the Renegades came around, on the off chance they wanted to use it. I suppose some kind of deal could be workable, seeing as how the CFL always seems to be scrambling for money.

actually i have to disagree with you. mr. Chen does still own the rights to the name and the team attempted to buy the rights back from him but were unable to reach a deal hence the renegades... if the league did own the rights trust me the team would have been named the rough riders. and in recent news they have said that when a team returns, that they would want to get the old name back from him.

i submitted the Ottawa Colonels , lt. col john by was commisioned to build the rideau canal... i thought of submitting ottawa rideau, ottawa beavers, ottawa mar (big ass prehistoric fish in the ottawa river) and my personal fave, the Ottawa By's,, but i can only imagine the constant jokes on that one........ lol

Do you have a source for this? Not that I doubt it, but the last I'd read back in 2005 - from CFL.ca no less - was that Chen wasn't in the picture any longer.

no solid source except for glen kulka on the team 1200 here in ottawa. just from listening to the radio.. i could be way off base. but that is what i remember. but i just went looking and found this. the source and since that deal fell through the chen master still owns the friggin name..... the a**hole :)

sig.png

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Ottawa Valley Twang!!

Now theres one for you Carleton Place folks! ^_^

The By-Jeezus McNeelys

There's one for most of Carleton Place, with a little nod to Colonel By.

For anyone seriously considering a submission - it wouldn't be a bad idea to think of something that works in French as well as English.

Ottawa Senators

hey, if the Leafs can have a baseball team with the same name as them, why

can't the Sens?

The baseball team came first. The Leafs stole the name from them.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

It's pretty obvious that the name of the Ottawa team should be called the Beavers.

One of my fantasy baseball teams is named the Ottawa Beavers, and I hereby grant the Ottawa owners permission to use the name. :D

Imagine the Quebec Capitales playing the Ottawa Beavers for the Can-Am Championship. It shall be done.

Montreal, you're up next!

Only if Montreal gets a new MLB expansion franchise in 2009.

MON AMOURS FORVER!!!!!

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

Ottawa Advance

Ottawa Beavers

Ottawa Boomers

Ottawa Canadians

Ottawa Colonels

Ottawa Loggers

Ottawa Lumber Barons

Ottawa Lumberjacks

Ottawa Nats

Ottawa Nationals

Ottawa Onslaught

Ottawa Rafters

Ottawa Riverjacks

Ottawa River Kings

Ottawa River Men

Ottawa Solons

Ottawa Timber Barons

Ottawa Timberjacks

Ottawa Timber Kings

Ottawa Trappers

Ottawa Voyageurs

Only if Montreal gets a new MLB expansion franchise in 2009.

MON AMOURS FORVER!!!!!

Let us hope so.

If not the MLB, then definitely Can-Am league. Now that Ottawa finally got a franchise in this league, there must be a way to channel this effect into an 8-team league, which they have now, and split it into 2 4-team divisions, Canadian and American, with the following changes: Montreal will replace Nashua, Brockton & Worcester will merge to become a unified New England franchise, Trois-Rivieres will get a new team, and Atlantic City will be replaced by a team in, say, Albany, NY. Quebec, Ottawa, New Jersey and Sussex will stay the same.

How about the Ottawa Canal Skaters?

Ottawa Beavertails?

Ottawa Confederates?

Ottawa Dominion

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

no solid source except for glen kulka on the team 1200 here in ottawa. just from listening to the radio.. i could be way off base. but that is what i remember. but i just went looking and found this. the source and since that deal fell through the chen master still owns the friggin name..... the a**hole :)

Huh... how about that. Only $100K? Surprising, considering that Chen at one point was trying to score $3M (US) for it.

nav-logo.png

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the names I submitted:

Ottawa Pixels (a reference to Ottawa's tech industry)

Ottawa Redcaps (is a type of malevolent murderous goblin, elf or fairy found in British folklore. - could also link to the gargoyles on Parliament)

Ottawa Toques (a Canadian woolen cap as made famous by Bob and Doug McKenzie)

Ottawa Flapjacks (pancakes - with syrup - butter and a knuckleball slider on the side!)

Ottawa Igloos (a reference to Ottawa's long winter months and also its famous Winterlude festival - where Igloos, sculptures and other snow activities take place)

I'm sure there are a few others I sent - just not coming to the ol' noggin right now...

Should be this week that we hear what the name will be.

Ottawa Mounties

Unfortunately, this would be very difficult to pull off, since the RCMP sold the rights to the Mountie image, uniform and all, to Walt Disney Co. a while back. Officially, this was done to better control the Mountie image from cheap knockoff merchandise and less-than-respectful depictions. The RCMP, of course, gets continuing rights to keep wearing the red serge.

I have to assume that if item 1 on the list of things to do with a given team name is, "Approach Disney with request to purchase rights to name, image," then that name isn't gonna be chosen by the team.

So far, my favorite names mentioned here have been Dominions and anything to do with Beavers.

The Redcaps idea is interesting, since one of my favorite fantasy novels features redcaps in Ottawa. First and only pro sports team named after a Charles de Lint novel?

20082614447.png

Ottawa Mounties

Unfortunately, this would be very difficult to pull off, since the RCMP sold the rights to the Mountie image, uniform and all, to Walt Disney Co. a while back. Officially, this was done to better control the Mountie image from cheap knockoff merchandise and less-than-respectful depictions. The RCMP, of course, gets continuing rights to keep wearing the red serge.

Looks like that agreement has expired. It was only a five-year deal, and seems not to have been renewed. So no appeals to Disney necessary.

Redcaps?

Archived