Baseball in Ottawa

spartacat_12

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Redcaps would present good oppurtunities for the teams identity designwise, a lot could be done.

Or...

The Ottawa Ospreyriverflappyjackmounties, could work...

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

Ottawa Mounties

Unfortunately, this would be very difficult to pull off, since the RCMP sold the rights to the Mountie image, uniform and all, to Walt Disney Co. a while back. Officially, this was done to better control the Mountie image from cheap knockoff merchandise and less-than-respectful depictions. The RCMP, of course, gets continuing rights to keep wearing the red serge.

Looks like that agreement has expired. It was only a five-year deal, and seems not to have been renewed. So no appeals to Disney necessary.

Redcaps?

Thanks -- that's good info. Embarrassing, since I'm usually pretty up on the Canadian news, and I completely missed the expiry of the licensing deal. Looks like the Mountie image and uniform is still being protected with zeal by the RCMP, though, so a Canadian team would still have to seek outside permission, and would not be able to exercise full control over its own merchandising, so I'm still betting against Mounties.

The more I think about it, the more I wish a big-league team used Caps instead of Sox, so Redcaps is growing on me.

20082614447.png

Plus I think these guys are doing it now:

http://www.redcanoebrands.com/rcmpclothing.html

I love Red Canoe. I have the Avro Aircraft cap. I literally have to restrain myself from buying every cap they make. I wish there had been a cap in that RCMP line.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

I would not be opposed to "Redcaps" but I still prefer "Riverjacks" since it pays homage to the city's origins as a lumber town. I think you could do alot with that name in an identity package. Moreso than 'Redcaps' I think.

I would not be opposed to "Redcaps" but I still prefer "Riverjacks" since it pays homage to the city's origins as a lumber town. I think you could do alot with that name in an identity package. Moreso than 'Redcaps' I think.

But is a "riverjack" even a thing? It doesn't appear in my desk dictionary. Back in the earlies, did people in Ottawa chop down rivers or something? Lumberjacks, rivermen, millers, those would pay homage to the traditional lumber industry. How is "riverjacks" not just a made-up modern name of the "Valley Catz" variety?

20082614447.png

But is a "riverjack" even a thing? It doesn't appear in my desk dictionary. Back in the earlies, did people in Ottawa chop down rivers or something? Lumberjacks, rivermen, millers, those would pay homage to the traditional lumber industry. How is "riverjacks" not just a made-up modern name of the "Valley Catz" variety?

A "Riverjack" is an antiquated term (possibly only regional) for the people who guided the lumber down the river. I'm not surprised it doesn't appear in a current dictionary. They were the guys who walked across the logs as they floated down the river and kept them from bunching up and jamming up along the way (a.k.a. a "logjam"). They had a big pole with a hook at the end that they used to straighten wayward logs.

My grandfather did that for several years in the late 20's and early 30's up in Northern Ontario. He lost a good chunk of his hearing when he happened to be underwater as a dynamite blast was set off to clear a major logjam. It was a very dangerous job not only for that reason but because you could easily fall off a log and get creamed by another log rushing by.

A "Riverjack" is an antiquated term (possibly only regional) for the people who guided the lumber down the river. I'm not surprised it doesn't appear in a current dictionary. They were the guys who walked across the logs as they floated down the river and kept them from bunching up and jamming up along the way (a.k.a. a "logjam"). They had a big pole with a hook at the end that they used to straighten wayward logs.

My grandfather did that for several years in the late 20's and early 30's up in Northern Ontario. He lost a good chunk of his hearing when he happened to be underwater as a dynamite blast was set off to clear a major logjam. It was a very dangerous job not only for that reason but because you could easily fall off a log and get creamed by another log rushing by.

Now that is cool history. Thanks for explaining!

What would the French equivalent of Riverjack be? Riveron?

Would Redcaps be Chapeaux Rouges?

Bonus points for the Ottawa Dominions: It's spelled the same in French. Well, les Dominions d'Ottawa, but the word "Dominion" is spelled the same way in both tongues.

20082614447.png

For those of you who don't already know, Ottawa has just been granted a franchise in the Can-Am baseball league. The team will play in Lynx Stadium (or whatever it will be called next year). They are having a name the team contest to determine the new team name. Here is the link:

http://www.baseballottawa.com/index.php

I submitted the name Highlanders in honour of the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa.

I'm an American so I'm not that familiar with Ottawa except that I know it's the capitol city.... but how about

OTTAWA OTTERS?

Well, the finalists are supposed to be posted within the week for final voting.

Anyone want to take an early guess on what ones might have made the first cut?

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Bonus points for the Ottawa Dominions: It's spelled the same in French. Well, les Dominions d'Ottawa, but the word "Dominion" is spelled the same way in both tongues.

How about the Ottawa Vorta? The Ottawa Jem'Hadar? We can put a wormhole graphic on the uniform and have them play the Niners from Deep Space Nine.

Take me out to the holosuite....

How about those...

Mets?

Packers?

Rangers?

Knicks?

Titans?

Owner of the New York Night Owls 1999 champions in the All World Football League.

so i was just looking at pics of the stadium in ottawa

and apparently the stands look out at the large glass building behing the right field wall

and it happens to be headquarters of the mounties

so it would seem fiiting if they could incorporate that into their name

mounties,horesman,force, something

Archived