NY Yankees logos

J23P

This is not about the interlocking NY, but I recently saw that the Yankees will be wearing a Final Season patch for Yankee Stadium on their on field fleece pullovers. I saw this on their store web page. I didn't see it on any other clothing. I like it.

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?prod...1452360.1452527

It is a beautiful patch. The Yankees are selling a whole line of merchandise featuring it. I'd like to see them put it on a Twins Enterprise franchise cap.

It will also be a sleeve patch next year:

pMLB2-1826255dt.jpg

The All-Star patch will only be worn from the beginning of voting through the Midsummer Classic, but the Yankee Stadium patch will be worn all season.

However, on a slightly different subject, for those who think both logos should be the same on the cap and uniform, i've seen mockups of what that would look like, and i must say it doesn't look good. THe cap logo looks great on the cap, but on the jersey it looks... well, it looks like crap. As does the jersey logo if put on the cap. I think for he uniform to look complete and correct, you need the two varied logos.

I don't know. The cap logo definitely does not scale up well. (Then again, it isn't actually that attractive at cap scale, either, compared to the other NY logos. We only like it because it's what the Yankees have been wearing for decades.) So the Yanks definitely cannot switch to the cap logo for all purposes. But the jersey logo does scale well, both down and up. It looks fine on a ballcap. Good proportions of shape and line, and its overall appearance is less strongly vertical than the current cap logo, which is also a good thing since the cap provides a slightly horizontal canvas for logo display.

I think the same is true of the Tigers two logos: The cap logo cannot work on the jersey, but the jersey logo would be fine on the cap.

So if I ran the Yankees, I'd make the switch to the jersey logo on everything and be done with it. But neither am I opposed to jersey and cap logos that don't quite match, as long as, like the Yankees or Tigers, the more suitable logo is used in the right place.

Question: If it's possible to reproduce the superior print NY logo on a ballcap, why do the Yankees have two only slightly different versions of that logo, one for the cap and the other for print? And how did the two versions come into being in the first place? Seems an odd choice to make for any reason other than technical limitations in embroidery or felt applique reproduction.

20082614447.png

I beg to differ.

I happen to love the cap logo, and it has nothing to do with history. It's much more balanced than the print logo, which is pear-shaped and misshapen.

Cap logo / Print logo:

ALE-NYY-Insignia.pngyankeesLogo_000.gif

The cap logo is balanced on both the X and Y axis, and nearly symmetrical - I think it's beautiful. The print logo isn't balanced left to right - it leans to the right, and always looks off to me. I think the cap logo is much better than the print, on a ballcap or scaled up to fill a t-shirt.

As to how it came about - you've got me there. But how did the divergent cap/jersey logos come about, anyway? With both the Yanks and Tigers, the cap logos aren't appreciably simpler (and therefore easier to embroider) than the jersey logos. The Cardinals also use slightly different cap and print logos, with an even subtler difference - again, I doubt that manufacturing concerns mandated it.

Any company that could make this in the 1940s:

53521a.jpg

and this in the 1960s:

54410a.jpg

should have been able to recreate pretty much any variation of the Yankees' "NY".

Archived