Chris Simon

zig

Another piece on his suspension...

Simon banned for 30 games

Longest suspension in NHL history

By THE CANADIAN PRESS

TORONTO - Chris Simon has received the longest suspension in NHL history - again.

The New York Islanders forward was banned 30 games by league disciplinarian Colin Campbell after Simon stepped on Pittsburgh's Jarkko Ruutu during a game over the weekend.

Based on his average annual pay, Simon forfeits US$292,683 in salary. He will be eligible to return Feb. 21 against Tampa Bay.

"Several factors were considered in imposing the longest suspension in NHL history for an on-ice incident," Campbell said in a statement. "While it was fortunate there was no serious injury to Mr. Ruutu as a result of Simon's action, the deliberate act of kicking an opponent with an exposed skate blade, especially where the opponent is in a vulnerable position, is and always has been a repugnant and totally unacceptable act in the game of hockey.

"In addition, while the act itself was extremely dangerous, the fact that this is the eighth incident requiring the imposition of supplementary discipline on Simon compelled me to impose a very severe penalty in this case."

Simon missed the first five games of this season while completing a 25-game ban handed out in March. That was the previous record for an NHL suspension.

The 35-year-old took a leave from the Islanders on Monday, agreeing with the team that he needed time away from hockey following his latest penalty for attempting to injure an opponent.

"Since Saturday night, the focus of the New York Islanders has been on Chris Simon the person, not him as a player or on his place in our lineup," Isles GM Garth Snow said in a statement Wednesday. "As we announced on Monday, the Islanders are going to provide Chris the time and support that he needs for counselling. For Chris right now, hockey must be secondary to the priority of taking care of himself.

"Chris has played 15 seasons in the National Hockey League, has won a Stanley Cup and just as importantly has won the respect of his teammates. He is an Islander, deserves our compassion, and we ask that all Islanders fans join us in supporting Chris every step of the way."

Late in New York's loss to the Penguins on Saturday, with the Islanders trailing 3-2, Simon drew a match penalty when he pulled out Ruutu's leg, sending the forward to his knees between the team benches. Simon then stepped on the back of Ruutu's leg with his skate.

Simon was ejected and the Islanders were a man short for all but the final 54 seconds of the loss.

"There is no excuse for my actions ... and I apologize to everyone involved," Simon said Monday in a statement. "The Islanders and I agree that the right thing to do is for me to take some time away from the team.

"I have enjoyed a long career achieving my dream of being a player in the National Hockey League and I'm proud of my accomplishments. But I acknowledge that time and assistance is needed before I return to the game."

Simon also apologized last season after he retaliated to a hit from Ryan Hollweg by striking the New York Rangers forward in the face and neck with a two-handed stick swing.

The forward was suspended for the rest of the regular season and the playoffs, forced to serve a minimum of 25 games. He missed the remaining 15 games before the post-season and sat out New York's five-game playoff loss to Buffalo.

The Islanders signed Simon to a one-year deal this summer for US$475,000 and included another $325,000 in potential bonuses.

"Chris is a good guy, he's a great teammate, he's a good friend who did something wrong," said Islanders captain Bill Guerin. "He just needs a little time and a little support from his family and friends and his teammates.

"He understands what he did, we all do. There'll be consequences, and that's not for us to decide, but we're here to support him and to make sure things get straightened out."

Simon had 10 goals and 17 assists in 67 games last season, but managed only one goal and two assists in 26 games this season. He has 51 penalty minutes.

Simon has been suspended five previous times for violent on-ice acts and received a three-game ban in 1997 after directing a racial slur toward player Mike Grier, who is black.

During the 2000 playoffs, Simon, then with Washington, sat out Game 2 after he cross-checked Penguins defenceman Peter Popovic across the throat in the opener.

In April 2001, Simon drew a two-game ban for elbowing Anders Eriksson of Florida. He was given a pair of two-game suspensions in 2004 - for cross-checking Tampa Bay's Ruslan Fedotenko and then jumping on him and punching him, and for kneeing Dallas defenceman Sergei Zubov. Fedotenko and Simon are now Islanders teammates.

Maybe this will get his attention...maybe not!

When Bobby Orr was asked why he always wore a cup

but not a helmet,he replied:"I can always get

someone else to do my thinking for me!"

Still, I hate that :censored:er Ruutu with every fiber of my being

But thats exactly what he wants.

Just like Matthew Barnaby, it's his job. It's his job to push your buttons and piss people off.

Garbage like this though shouldn't be tolerated. There is a line, and Simon was far, far across it. After the stick last year and this, I'd toss him. Goons and tough guys have honour. Simon is just a thug. Two deliberate attempts to injure someone? Why give him a third opportunity. Dump him.

Oops, Campbell apparently mentioned "drug and alcohol doctors" as part of the counseling Simon is due to receive, and the Isles and First Nations Ojibwa tribe are pissed about it:

First Nations Ojibwas want apology for Campbell remark

Ted Nolan's saying it's inaccurate, the First Nations chief is calling stereotyping. Of course, Campbell was totally indiscreet and possibly all wrong about the specific counseling...but it's not stereotyping when you're talking about a specific player with a documented history of alcoholism. Sorry, he happens to be Native Canadian. He might've said the same thing about somebody like Bob Probert or Theo Fleury.

Archived