Nitpickers Lovers Question

goforbroke

IF they want to put a 'B' in the swooping logo, they can have the bird carrying the 'B' in it's claws or something to that nature.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you have in mind, it would still bear at least a passing resemblance to this:

RavensdrawingBouchat.jpg

If you recall, the Ravens used the swooping bird logo on their sleeves until 1999 (I think). I still like that better on the sleeves than the shield, which used to be on the pants.

Slightly off topic, but at the risk of opening a new can of worms, I've always thought the shield logo is awfully similar to this:

msppatch.jpg

You maybe a bit off from what I was thinking.

Just imagine the same swooping logo in the above posted images....and right where the claws would be...you'd put a small 'B' in it's grasp. I'm not talking about a shield, because that would infringe on that guy who won the court case against the original logo.

I'm just talking about a small 'B'.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just imagine the same swooping logo in the above posted images....and right where the claws would be...you'd put a small 'B' in it's grasp. I'm not talking about a shield, because that would infringe on that guy who won the court case against the original logo.

I was figuring no shield, but a larger B. Either way, even without the shield, I think the bird grasping the B might be problematic.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I was figuring no shield, but a larger B. Either way, even without the shield, I think the bird grasping the B might be problematic.

No, but maybe a tattered banner with Baltimore in its grasp perhaps?

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Don't know. When I heard that the team had to change its logo, I immediately thought of the full-bird. They already own it, it's an established part of their identity, and it's beautiful.

Hadn't thought about him carrying a "B", but that could work. I'd even maybe make it a football (I really miss the old Eagles logo) with a "B" emblazoned on the ball.

Now THAT would be nice.

I just heard that the ownership was pretty emphatic about the logo having a large 'B' in it somewhere, hence the suggestion....but to be quite honest, the football would work better.

I've heard that too regarding the B. I think it has something to do with Baltimore being leary of the team moving somewhere else if they are simply the Ravens.

I've heard that too regarding the B. I think it has something to do with Baltimore being leary of the team moving somewhere else if they are simply the Ravens.

I don't think it has anything to do with that. Art Modell was just sensitive to the criticism Peter Angelos has received for essentially eliminating all references to "Baltimore" in dressing and marketing the Orioles. As a local owner, Steve Bisciotti has continued the tradition, but it all started with Modell.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Its funny how the owner thinks that including a huge totally unnecessary 'B' in the helmet logo negates Angelos' stupidity. :rolleyes:

Like the ginormous crest at midfield doesn't pretty much let the entire world know where the team plays. Just remove the stupid 'B' or change the birdhead completely because its the worst logo in football.

If I had a billion dollars or so, I'd buy the Ravens just to change the stupid helmet. That way I wouldn't have to see the damn birdhead anymore. It would be a pretty silly reason for such an expensive investment, but one that I think I could validate.

72938947.jpg

Looking at those hockey helmet decals brings up the question of why they're not bigger and prominent like football helmet logos...

Frankly, that would be logo overkill. You've already got a huge one on the sweater, and generally two alts on the shoulders. Another more-conspicuous logo on the helmet would be too much. That being said, the U of Michigan hockey helmets are sweet beyond belief.

I took the liberty of creating several mockups of different ravens helmets. I added more purple to the wings on the "spread raven" logo.

ravenshelmets.png

The helmet with the shield is bonerific :D

It also raises mad questions as to why that's not what they actually wear. It uses a B AND makes Baltimore (along with Maryland in general) an integral part of the teams identity.

The shield logo IS terrific, but I think I like it more as a corporate/secondary logo. I think it's one of the elements that sets the Ravens apart from other teams. While most teams just have their primary logo and the wordmark, Baltimore has both of those and more, and they -- to me -- are all united under the Raven badge. It's kind of soccer-esque, while at the same time being uniquely Ravens.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

As a Ravens fan, I think the current helmet logo is still the best, even with the goofy looking B. The shield on the helmet has always reminded me of the Maryland State Police, as someone mentioned. I absolutely hate the full bird face logo. The full bird with the spread wings isn't bad, but anything like that comes too close to the stolen original logo.

Honestly I think the best might be a simple upgrade to the current logo. Maybe put a football with a block style B on it in place of the funky looking B that is on it now.

I think if they were going to change then something new would be better than reusing one of their current secondary logos. A side view of a Raven in flight clutching a football might be cool.

The NFL is also in the unique position of using graphics of the helmets themselves as secondary logos (can you imagine a newspaper article using baseball caps to represent teams?).

Sure. They use the monograms from the hats in newspapers and television coverage all the time. Mounting those on caps wouldn't be a reach.

The first helmet of the mock-ups posted looks great. The only change I'd make--and this is for that logo in general--is to take "Ravens" off the top. As somebody said, it's too reminiscent of the Raiders, and in addition to that, it's redundant with the B and the R in the shield. Baltimore Ravens Ravens?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived