NFL 2008--are there any jersey/logo changes pending?

wman

1. Why are stripes out? Have you seen uniforms today?

2. And your thoughts on the Saints is just scary. I don't understand your design logic, and it makes my head hurt.

3. I don't understand why just because it's 2007, everything needs to look like :censored:. Maybe you like :censored:, but i don't.

Their new uniforms will finally match their golds.

And you know this how? Just curious.

He doesn't, more than likely blowing smoke.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1. Why are stripes out? Have you seen uniforms today?

2. And your thoughts on the Saints is just scary. I don't understand your design logic, and it makes my head hurt.

3. I don't understand why just because it's 2007, everything needs to look like :censored:. Maybe you like :censored:, but i don't.

Their new uniforms will finally match their golds.

And you know this how? Just curious.

You think they are going to redesign their uniforms, and continue to have mis-matched golds?

Its the #1 reason they need to re-design.

i somehow think if the browns go with a broncos overhaul, browns fans will harpoon the new set before they reach the field like the niners and packers fans did. this isn't buffalo where bananaslugs are embraced as the new identity, cleveland is much like green bay they aren't tolerating a drastic overhaul like that.

Just as a point of order, it wasn't the fans who killed Green Bay's uniform overhaul - it was Ron Wolf himself, who changed his mind. And not because he was afraid of fan backlash, but because he decided that a change sent the wrong signal about priorities. He came to feel that he shouldn't be changing the uniforms, he should be improving the team (how's that for a breath of fresh air?).

Would Packers fans have opposed a change? I don't know. There were rumors at the time that the blue and gold 75th NFL Anniversary uniforms were a trial balloon for a color change, and there was a little grumbling over that but no revolt. I don't recall any strong reaction once word of the new uniforms became public.

I suspect, coming off a pretty bad couple decades, Packers fans would have done just what the Executive Committee did - give Wolf carte blanche. And had he gone through with it, his new uniform would have been the symbol of the Brett Favre era, and would be enshrined by now.

Back on topic, I agree with your basic point. Browns fans would never allow a modern overhaul to replace their classic look. Nor should they. Sometimes the fans are stewards of the team's history and legacy, when the club itself neglects its responsibilities.

I thought the Rams changing 'yellow' to actual 'gold' was a very necessary change that was a long time coming. The Redskins need to go with the retro unis fulltime and sport the burgundy and gold in place of the yellow. I also think that if the Steelers ever decided to go with 'gold' instead of 'yellow' it would work very nicely.

In this case, I think it would be a horrible move for the Packers to go with gold. They should tweak their uniforms, possibly losing the awful yellow pants. To eliminate the yellow in favor of gold would be a bad bad move. Their look is distinctive and classic. I see nothing that would support a change to gold other than 'change for change's sake', which I absolutely abhor in design.

The only rumour I've heard is about a possible Browns change. The source is a Penthouse (Jan 2008) interview with Kellen Winslow Jr.
"You know what? We're in the process of changing that. Next year, your gonna see some new uniforms for the Cleveland Browns. This is really a big part of what Braylon Edwards and I have been talking about for a long time. It may be something similar to what the Broncos have. It's time for a change. Sometimes people live in the past in Cleveland. That's fine, but this team is trying to build an identity and start up something new."

Make of it what you want...

What the... :cursing:

They better be good. I like the set that "doosh" did in Concepts.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?sh...=browns+concept

Owner Randy Lerner made it clear when the uniform change was made in 2006

"Traditionalists will get their wish this year. Browns owner Randy Lerner is bringing back the team's old duds for next season, including gray face masks, original striping on jersey sleeves and the old, darker shade of brown. The team will wear only white pants and alternate between brown and white jerseys - never orange. 'This is not about branding. This is about the Cleveland Browns,' Lerner said."

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

So what, in your opinion, is the difference between Green Bay's athletic gold and Pittsburgh's athletic gold? Why must one stay while the other could be changed and "work very nicely"?

Good question...although I would imagine its pretty obvious don't you think?

If the Steelers change to gold:

1. There pants would change (big change)

2. Jersey stripes would change (small change)

3. Helmet stripe would change (even smaller change)

Hence making the transition one that wouldn't seem like such a huge departure from what they had.

If the Packers change to gold:

1. Pants would change (big change)

2. Jersey stripes would change (small change)

3. ENTIRE helmet would change (HUGE change)

Hence making the transition a much larger departure from what they have now. One can argue that the Rams made a change that wasn't a tremndous departure from what they had. I think the Packer's change would be a huge change and might receive some backlash as a result.

1. Do you watch football? Striped socks are like parachute pants and leisure suits. They are out-of-place. Do you still wear knee-high tube socks? They looked pretty cool in 1979 too.

This is like the anti-Fonz. Every post comes down to "Doesn't need stripes."

Keep posting on here, chief. It's entertaining.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I don't know about that. I think the Rams change was a HUGE one.

So basically, it's only an athletic gold shell that makes the difference? I'll have to think about that.

The one change I really want to see in the NFL next season is replacing the clunky and silly "NFL EQUIPMENT" tag with the new shield:

2122547045_ea6a71b50b_o.gif

Just as long as the Patriots and Steelers are not included, it will be fine. Those two teams should NEVER, EVER, EVER change their uniforms (especially the Steelers -- one of the most classic, timeless looks in all of team sports).

I know these are all matters of opinion, but WOW, I could not disagree more regarding the Patriots. I think the Pats have one of the most era-specific uniform sets out there, and in a couple of years I feel like it (especially the number font, but also the streaky Pat logo) is going to look extremely dated. And a LOT less silver would be greatly appreciated.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

I don't mind the silver, but I agree that the piping/custom font/side panel jersey is already starting to feel a little dated.

Yeah, it kind of feels dated....refer to any of the dates of their Super Bowl victories. :P

I guess what I'm trying to say about the Packer change is that it wouldn't be much better than what they have now in my opinion, so why change? ...regardless of how large or small it might be.

I'm just not convinced that a gold helmet would work as well with the green jerseys as the yellow would. It would look too 'Notre Dame-ish' for my taste.

The only way I think it could work is if they went with a very yellow-ish gold, as opposed to a pale Vegas gold.

Here is a pretty good example of what it might look like (keep in mind the pic was photoshopped, but it maybe a good indication)

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/bay/g...ecover-300w.jpg

I still don't think it would be much of an upgrade.

QUOTE(Gothamite @ Wednesday, December 19th, 2007 - 14:05:07)

I don't mind the silver, but I agree that the piping/custom font/side panel jersey is already starting to feel a little dated.

Yeah, it kind of feels dated....refer to any of the dates of their Super Bowl victories.

I guess what I'm trying to say about the Packer change is that it wouldn't be much better than what they have now in my opinion, so why change? ...regardless of how large or small it might be.

I'm just not convinced that a gold helmet would work as well with the green jerseys as the yellow would. It would look too 'Notre Dame-ish' for my taste.

The only way I think it could work is if they went with a very yellow-ish gold, as opposed to a pale Vegas gold.

Here is a pretty good example of what it might look like (keep in mind the pic was photoshopped, but it maybe a good indication)

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/bay/g...ecover-300w.jpg

> Yeah it wouldn't be much of an upgrade but that's a nice looking gold even though it's photoshopped it would look just as good on the Packers, considering they don't change anything else except maybe for a wordmark! I wasn't too keen on them when they eliminated some of the sleeve stripes but after a while the new one's grew on me and I'm a traditionalist so it goes to show you that you can still be 'classic' without the issue of compromise! Their proposed change back in the 90's would have completely eliminated their 'green' identity and I don't think it would have fared too well. I also hate teams (including my Saints) that use so much of their logo i.e. sleeves, hip / pants, etc.... I tend to enjoy the uni's of teams that have the ability to carry a secondary logo that ties in well with their uniform such as the Jags, Ravens and Eagles. I hate it when logo's and intinals are forced into stripe patterns for whatever reason it get's on my nerves (San Francisco, Cleveland, Chicago)! I have other issues as well but I'll leave it at these few for now!

I couldn't disagree more with some people's views of the Patriots uniforms. I think they have the closest thing to a "modern classic" that you can get. Their uniform has all the "modern" touches, yet IMO will still look great in 10, 20, even 30 years (barring some radical change in equipment.)

The numbers are modern without being gaudy, the side panels are tastefully done, the color scheme is classic, etc. The only thing (in my opinion) that is debatable is the flying Elvis logo. I think it is acceptable, but I would understand if it was called out for being tacky and in need of change.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I couldn't disagree more with some people's views of the Patriots uniforms. I think they have the closest thing to a "modern classic" that you can get. Their uniform has all the "modern" touches, yet IMO will still look great in 10, 20, even 30 years (barring some radical change in equipment.)

The numbers are modern without being gaudy, the side panels are tastefully done, the color scheme is classic, etc. The only thing (in my opinion) that is debatable is the flying Elvis logo. I think it is acceptable, but I would understand if it was called out for being tacky and in need of change.

I completely agree with you on all counts...EXCEPT for the "Flying Elvis" logo. It looks great on the helmet and is simple without being too simple, and modern without being too modern IMO.

When the Pats first came out with the unis I did'nt care for them. I wanted the silver pants to go with the white jerseys . I 've gotten use to the navy pants and actually like them now . The one thing I would like to see changed in the Pats uni's would be the silver pants to have a thinner red stripe to match the red piping the comes down the navy jerseys side panels.

Bwahahahaha. Well said. As for the Patriots, I've always wondered how they'd look if they dropped the navy pants and went with silver along with the white jerseys on the road....
When the Pats first came out with the unis I did'nt care for them. I wanted the silver pants to go with the white jerseys . I 've gotten use to the navy pants and actually like them now . The one thing I would like to see changed in the Pats uni's would be the silver pants to have a thinner red stripe to match the red piping the comes down the navy jerseys side panels.

I think the they need the silver pants. If you call something a "UNIFORM", they look should be uniformed, and when I say that, that means they should MATCH.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

The only rumour I've heard is about a possible Browns change. The source is a Penthouse (Jan 2008) interview with Kellen Winslow Jr.
"You know what? We're in the process of changing that. Next year, your gonna see some new uniforms for the Cleveland Browns. This is really a big part of what Braylon Edwards and I have been talking about for a long time. It may be something similar to what the Broncos have. It's time for a change. Sometimes people live in the past in Cleveland. That's fine, but this team is trying to build an identity and start up something new."

Make of it what you want...

What the... :cursing:

They better be good. I like the set that "doosh" did in Concepts.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?sh...=browns+concept

Owner Randy Lerner made it clear when the uniform change was made in 2006

"Traditionalists will get their wish this year. Browns owner Randy Lerner is bringing back the team's old duds for next season, including gray face masks, original striping on jersey sleeves and the old, darker shade of brown. The team will wear only white pants and alternate between brown and white jerseys - never orange. 'This is not about branding. This is about the Cleveland Browns,' Lerner said."

browns return to tradition

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

i somehow think if the browns go with a broncos overhaul, browns fans will harpoon the new set before they reach the field like the niners and packers fans did. this isn't buffalo where bananaslugs are embraced as the new identity, cleveland is much like green bay they aren't tolerating a drastic overhaul like that.

Just as a point of order, it wasn't the fans who killed Green Bay's uniform overhaul - it was Ron Wolf himself, who changed his mind. And not because he was afraid of fan backlash, but because he decided that a change sent the wrong signal about priorities. He came to feel that he shouldn't be changing the uniforms, he should be improving the team (how's that for a breath of fresh air?).

Would Packers fans have opposed a change? I don't know. There were rumors at the time that the blue and gold 75th NFL Anniversary uniforms were a trial balloon for a color change, and there was a little grumbling over that but no revolt. I don't recall any strong reaction once word of the new uniforms became public.

I suspect, coming off a pretty bad couple decades, Packers fans would have done just what the Executive Committee did - give Wolf carte blanche. And had he gone through with it, his new uniform would have been the symbol of the Brett Favre era, and would be enshrined by now.

Back on topic, I agree with your basic point. Browns fans would never allow a modern overhaul to replace their classic look. Nor should they. Sometimes the fans are stewards of the team's history and legacy, when the club itself neglects its responsibilities.

ah, i stand corrected. I do understand the reasoning though.

what i bolded is interesting, i kinda feel with the NHL when they rebranded the league that the priorities wasn't improving the overall product but making unnecessary changes to the uniforms for a gross cash grab. i think thats the problem with alot of teams is, the priority isn't improving the overall product but changing the uniforms and making quick cash grabs. they figure lets change the window dressing to make everyone think we are improving the team. when in reality they are just changing window dressing.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I think it's about time the Broncos loose the "swoosh". It's weird and ugly.

Its also their creation and a symbol of championships....(which is why its not going anywhere).

Its the Broncos identity. No need to lose it. Maybe the 5000 other teams that have copied them need to change.

I'm pretty sure it was Nike's creation, not the Broncos. I'm surprised that reebok hasn't urged them to change it.

Archived