NFL 2008--are there any jersey/logo changes pending?

wman

Isn't "UNIFORM" supposed to really mean that all of the players on one team are UNIFORM with each other?? The defenition to me is that all of the players on one team match, therefore they are in uniform.

I like the Patriots over all look. The current logo though... I ever liked. Not being a fan of the team, I never cared enough to complain. The "Elvis" logo will become dated over time. I think teams for the most part will try to stay "current". There will be certain teams that stick to their tradition of 50+ years ago (give or take). They might never have a complete over-haul.

One can not say "Well, they won the Super Bowl in those uniforms... they'll never change." Buffalo went to 4 Super Bowls, they changed. Denver went to 3 Super Bowls and changed. Those teams never thought "We can't change. We were the AFC CHampions in those uniforms!" San Francisco changed from what they won their Super Bowl's in. The Rams changes were already in place when they won their Super Bowl.

Merchandising = $$$. Teams are going to constantly change their look and logos to generate merchandise sales. It's about money, money rules all. As long as teams try to stay current and change their identity, in return their "new" look will surely become dated... and change.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't "UNIFORM" supposed to really mean that all of the players on one team are UNIFORM with each other?? The defenition to me is that all of the players on one team match, therefore they are in uniform.

I like the Patriots over all look. The current logo though... I ever liked. Not being a fan of the team, I never cared enough to complain. The "Elvis" logo will become dated over time. I think teams for the most part will try to stay "current". There will be certain teams that stick to their tradition of 50+ years ago (give or take). They might never have a complete over-haul.

One can not say "Well, they won the Super Bowl in those uniforms... they'll never change." Buffalo went to 4 Super Bowls, they changed. Denver went to 3 Super Bowls and changed. Those teams never thought "We can't change. We were the AFC CHampions in those uniforms!" San Francisco changed from what they won their Super Bowl's in. The Rams changes were already in place when they won their Super Bowl.

Other than where you say you like the Pats overall look, I pretty much agree with what you say here. Change isn't a bad thing. I do prefer teams to try to keep some things to tie them to the tradition, rather than making a radical overhaul and to hell with tradition. I kind of felt like that's what the Pats did, but they did manage to incorporate the white and blue (and to a certain extent the red) so that's not completely odeous.

Another sport as an example here, but when the Sabres switched from blue and gold to black, red and silver... that's what I mean by scrapping all vestages of the old look and coming out looking like a completely different team. New colors, new logos, new patterns, new everything. That's not the kind of overhaul I tend to get behind. But the changes that, for example, the 49ers have made, or the Rams... that's what I think of when I think about redesigns.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

1. Why are stripes out? Have you seen uniforms today?

2. And your thoughts on the Saints is just scary. I don't understand your design logic, and it makes my head hurt.

3. I don't understand why just because it's 2007, everything needs to look like :censored:. Maybe you like :censored:, but i don't.

Their new uniforms will finally match their golds.

And you know this how? Just curious.

You think they are going to redesign their uniforms, and continue to have mis-matched golds?

Quite possibly yes, since they've done just that numerous times since 1967.

These are from the preseason of 1967 (note unfinished helmet stripe) and then from the regular season of '67 or '68 - gorgeous old gold and it all matches although they'd already changed the number font:

expneworleans.jpgKilmer_pass_side.jpg

Within a couple of years they were wearing this - the helmet and pants don't quite match but it's close enough; the sewn-on gold numbers are gone in favor of cheap black screen-printed numbers:

kilmer.jpg

This is probably from '76 or '77 since that's when Hank Stram brought out the black pants. Note the pants stripe (the style of which I like) vs. the sock stripe and the helmet doesn't match either of 'em.

AABF025~Archie-Manning-Photofile-Posters.jpg

Sorry, nothing they do would surprise me. Well, except adopting the concept Bucco_B and I did - pretty sure that's not in the cards. B)

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Merchandising = $$$. Teams are going to constantly change their look and logos to generate merchandise sales. It's about money, money rules all. As long as teams try to stay current and change their identity, in return their "new" look will surely become dated... and change.

One glaring difference is that those teams didn't win Super Bowls in those uniforms.

...and the Broncos. Twice. First against the Pack; second against the Falcons. In back-to-back years.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I'm curious, why do some people think that the current Patriot logo is or will be dated? I just don't see it. I think the previous logo was incredibly dated, and was in desperate need of a change. This one has got legs IMO. It will age nicely.

If there is a logo that looks dated right now, then it would be the Bills. They need a change worse than anyone.

The one logo that will be dated if it isn't already is the Titan logo. I've never completely liked it for some reason, and almost everyone I know thinks it needs to be changed to a much simpler look. Their uniforms look dated as well.

I'm curious, why do some people think that the current Patriot logo is or will be dated? I just don't see it. I think the previous logo was incredibly dated, and was in desperate need of a change. This one has got legs IMO. It will age nicely.

If there is a logo that looks dated right now, then it would be the Bills. They need a change worse than anyone.

1. I agree about the Pats logo. I think it's a pretty timeless type of logo IMO. In fact, I like Patriots uniform set as a whole except for the Silver tops which i'm glad they'll be discontinuing.

2. As for the Bills....It's not dated it's traditional. That logo has been with the team since the mid 70s! I don't think I could ever get used to a Bills uniform set without the running Buffalo logo.

The one logo that will be dated if it isn't already is the Titan logo. I've never completely liked it for some reason, and almost everyone I know thinks it needs to be changed to a much simpler look. Their uniforms look dated as well.

To me, the Bills logo is pretty much timeless. It wouldn't be out of place 10 years from now, just like it wasn't 10 years ago. It's the rest of the uniform that blows.

The Patriot one, aside from being constipated or a in state of general squintiness, is actually a decent logo. Nothing earth-shattering, nor would I do more than shrug my shoulders if it ever got jettisoned. A real workmanlike logo that neither inspires awe or induces vomiting. My hatred for it comes from the fact it replaced Pat Patriot, one of the most distinctive logos i've ever seen for a pro sports team, and probably the first logo I ever fell in love with.

The Bills do need some help whatever that maybe , as for the Browns I wouldn't be unhappy if they would had some copper or something maybe change the number font or something , it's been a good few years these Browns have worn what the former browns wore , hell they moved up and got some good styling for having the colors they do , and it's time that the BROWNS make their own identify . The Jets are about due for a change , Miami could use a few changes , but no throwbacks this is not your daddy's dolphins these suck . im sure there are more .

#DTWD #GoJaguars

Y'know, you bring up an interesting idea: Making the Browns' helmets metallic. Hmmmm...that would be interesting. Not sure how it would look, but may spice it up a bit without completely losing the classic look.

I'm sure how it would look, as the NFL at one time marketed metallic versions of all NFL team helmets. It'd look like :censored:.

In Buffalo's case, they need to dump the red helmets and either go back to white or adopt a different color (blue or silver). Joe Ferguson's been gone for 20+ years, so there's no need to keep the red in the helmets anymore.

nav-logo.png

Y'know, you bring up an interesting idea: Making the Browns' helmets metallic. Hmmmm...that would be interesting. Not sure how it would look, but may spice it up a bit without completely losing the classic look.

I'm sure how it would look, as the NFL at one time marketed metallic versions of all NFL team helmets. It'd look like :censored:.

In Buffalo's case, they need to dump the red helmets and either go back to white or adopt a different color (blue or silver). Joe Ferguson's been gone for 20+ years, so there's no need to keep the red in the helmets anymore.

Actually the Browns helmet was the "dazzle" or "pearl" finish for about 2-3 years prior to last year's change back to plain orange. While not the "metalic" or "chrome" finish (like the Giants) it did have a bit of sparkle to it like Green Bay's current yellow helmets.

Actually the Browns helmet was the "dazzle" or "pearl" finish for about 2-3 years prior to last year's change back to plain orange. While not the "metalic" or "chrome" finish (like the Giants) it did have a bit of sparkle to it like Green Bay's current yellow helmets.

I guess what I'm saying is that they should go with a more metallic look similar to, if not a bit more than what the Giants have.

I wouldn't be opposed to the Bills using the throwbacks all the time but instead of the standing buffalo on the helmet they can use the running buffalo.

Aw hell....Why not wear the unis they wore when Joe Cribbs was around?

CribbsBuf.jpg

The Bills need an entirely new helmet logo. Both the standing and streaking varieties are lacking, but I could tolerate the streaking buffalo much more than the standing buffalo. Way too static for today's NFL.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived