NFL 2008--are there any jersey/logo changes pending?

wman

The Bills need an entirely new helmet logo. Both the standing and streaking varieties are lacking, but I could tolerate the streaking buffalo much more than the standing buffalo. Way too static for today's NFL.

To me, the standing buffalo is the best, most well thought out design wise. The streaking buffalo is just too 80s. I know someone mentioned it is timeless but the motion stripe, IMO, dates it pretty clearly. Maybe the streaking buffalo without the 80s stripe would be ok but I fear that it is too 2000s, too similar to all of the other streaking, speading mascots on helmets. (Broncos, Texans, Jaguars, Panthers, etc. etc. etc.)

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm curious, why do some people think that the current Patriot logo is or will be dated? I just don't see it. I think the previous logo was incredibly dated, and was in desperate need of a change. This one has got legs IMO. It will age nicely.

If there is a logo that looks dated right now, then it would be the Bills. They need a change worse than anyone.

The one logo that will be dated if it isn't already is the Titan logo. I've never completely liked it for some reason, and almost everyone I know thinks it needs to be changed to a much simpler look. Their uniforms look dated as well.

The Pats' logo is dated because it is a sharp, steel faced character. Even if he isn't supposed to look like a robot, he does because his face is silver. I actually think the jerseys are ok, other than that awful font I have hated from the beginning. Even if the uniforms stick around with minor changes, the logo will probably be changed somewhere down the line.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Why didn't the tricorner hats from the first year or two of the Boston Patriots stick around? That was the only time they ever got their helmets right.

OTM on the Titans looking very much like a product of the times. The tapered helmet stripe, the two-tone blue, the futuristic numerals. Maybe just the T in a circle without the blue flames would hold up better down the road.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Bills need an entirely new helmet logo. Both the standing and streaking varieties are lacking, but I could tolerate the streaking buffalo much more than the standing buffalo. Way too static for today's NFL.
The streaking buffalo is just too 80s.

It was rolled out in 7 years before the '80s...

...just sayin... B)

OTM on the Titans looking very much like a product of the times. The tapered helmet stripe, the two-tone blue, the futuristic numerals. Maybe just the T in a circle without the blue flames would hold up better down the road.

I'll have to disagree. The colors work perfectly and the circle with the T and 3 stars is to represent a symbol similar to the one of their state flag. Without the flames, it would not be strong enough to be a primary logo. But they could chance one thing and that is to reverse the navy and powder blue. I'd say the overuse of navy is the only thing that makes it look like a "product of the times".

Very true. Seemed like everybody(Rams, Bills, Broncos, Patriots, Chargers and probably a billion other teams across the other leagues and in the colleges) went to navy for no other reason than because everyone else was.

Sigs are for sissies.

• 2 weeks later...

Uniforms I can't STAND....

1. TENNESSEE TITANS. Enough w/the powder blue. While I "get" reaching back for franchise history - guess what - Tennessee fans don't give a rip about Houston Oiler lore, and Houston football fans hope Bud Adams suffers a horrific and untimely demise with a thresher. Lose the powder blue and the "dated" uniform numbers and blue on light blue, or light blue on blue stuff. It's horrid, and sophomoric.

2. BUFFALO BILLS. Frankly, I was never a fan of their Jim Kelly-era look, either... too many damned stripes on the helmet and the jerseys looked like NY Giants 80s' era toss-aways. The throwbacks are cleaner, and Buffalo's a no-nonsense market, a la Cleveland, anyhow. Go with tradition and watch your fans embrace it.

3. CINCINATTI BENGALS. WTF. What's up with all the disjointed striping? Dude, the Kenny Anderson-era uniforms were, to me, TIMELESS. Please, for God's sakes... shed the clown suits your team wears now and go back in tim e abit.

4. My beloved ATLANTA FELON, uh, er, FALCONS. Mr. Blank, FUBU called; they say stealing their jersey design is "whack," and now it's out-dated and forever tied to your convicted quarterback Keep the helmet logo, make it just a little smaller, and try again w/a more timeless jersey and number design, please.

4. ARIZONA CARDINALS. They're not bad, really. That bird would just look better on a helmt with some color to it; otherwise it's just a Louisville Cardinal helmet to me.

Other'n that, some suggestions...

CAROLINA PANTHERS - ditch the teal jerseys. Hideous.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - ditch the all-black pants. Makes one think of leotards on ballerinas.

NY JETS - The look isn't horrible; but sure could use a slight shake-up of some sort. How about ANY reference to an actual "jet" on the uniform somewhere?

DETROIT LIONS. Barry Sanders era. 'Nuff said.

Detroit Lions: I'd like to see change to the Billy Sims era where the numbers were silver outlined in white. Lions Sims Era Jersey Honestly, the black trim isn't that bad right now, but I know most here hate it. With that said, as long as Matt Millen is there, black will be part of the uniform.

ll-sims.jpg

New Orleans Saints: Get rid of the leotard black pants. Add stripes to them at least.

Atlanta Falcons: I like the helmets. Get rid of the ridiculous jerseys. Clean 'em up.

Jacksonville Jaguars: Replace the black with teal numbers on the road jersey.

Denver Broncos: Orange jersey!

New York Giants: I don't know why it bugs me, but the lack of any blue on the road jersey bothers me. They had this right a few years ago (blue trim on it), but changed to red and white only.

Buffalo Bills: They went with a red helmet back in the day because every one else in the division had white helmets. Times have changed. Revamp! Go with the throwback uniforms and some form of the running buffalo on a new helmet.

Cincinnati Bengals: Lose the side panels on the jerseys.

Seattle Seahawks: White pants with home and road uniforms.

Washington Redksins: I'd like to see yellow pants added and use of the dark jersey more often. As long as Gibbs is there, this won't happen.

Philadelphia Eagles: Gray pants.

Uniforms I can't STAND....

1. TENNESSEE TITANS. Enough w/the powder blue. While I "get" reaching back for franchise history - guess what - Tennessee fans don't give a rip about Houston Oiler lore, and Houston football fans hope Bud Adams suffers a horrific and untimely demise with a thresher. Lose the powder blue and the "dated" uniform numbers and blue on light blue, or light blue on blue stuff. It's horrid, and sophomoric.

2. BUFFALO BILLS. Frankly, I was never a fan of their Jim Kelly-era look, either... too many damned stripes on the helmet and the jerseys looked like NY Giants 80s' era toss-aways. The throwbacks are cleaner, and Buffalo's a no-nonsense market, a la Cleveland, anyhow. Go with tradition and watch your fans embrace it.

3. CINCINATTI BENGALS. WTF. What's up with all the disjointed striping? Dude, the Kenny Anderson-era uniforms were, to me, TIMELESS. Please, for God's sakes... shed the clown suits your team wears now and go back in tim e abit.

4. My beloved ATLANTA FELON, uh, er, FALCONS. Mr. Blank, FUBU called; they say stealing their jersey design is "whack," and now it's out-dated and forever tied to your convicted quarterback Keep the helmet logo, make it just a little smaller, and try again w/a more timeless jersey and number design, please.

4. ARIZONA CARDINALS. They're not bad, really. That bird would just look better on a helmt with some color to it; otherwise it's just a Louisville Cardinal helmet to me.

Other'n that, some suggestions...

CAROLINA PANTHERS - ditch the teal jerseys. Hideous.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - ditch the all-black pants. Makes one think of leotards on ballerinas.

NY JETS - The look isn't horrible; but sure could use a slight shake-up of some sort. How about ANY reference to an actual "jet" on the uniform somewhere?

DETROIT LIONS. Barry Sanders era. 'Nuff said.

I didn't know the panthers wore teal jerseys?

Detroit Lions: as long as Matt Millen is there, black will be part of the uniform.

I can't understand why that man still has a job. He took a perennial playoff team and turned them into a laughingstock.

And when he's gone, the black ought to go the way of Lisle Blackbourn's greenish-blue Packers uniforms.

Detroit Lions: as long as Matt Millen is there, black will be part of the uniform.

I can't understand why that man still has a job. He took a perennial playoff team and turned them into a laughingstock.

And when he's gone, the black ought to go the way of Lisle Blackbourn's greenish-blue Packers uniforms.

Because Jerry Jones alter ego "General Moron" is currently the gm of the lions. hell he needed a job, thankfully Jerry jones other ego "Genious Manager" fired the General Moron along side campo after 3 5-11 seasons.it was long overdue IMO. i just feel bad that the lions was the next stop for General Moron. Honestly lions fans don't deserve a General Moron ruining the team. If you have to get rid of General Moron, don't send him back to dallas if you must send him to Arizona where it would at least be business as usual. i'm perfectly content with Genious Manager right now and general moron in detroit. We don't need to be temping his other ego with a trip back to dallas so he could dine at the finest mexican restraunts, eat steak at steak and ale and have a beer at Billy Bobs in Fort Worth.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I rather doubt Saban ordered a change for Miami. He was perfectly content with the mono-whites, to the point that no Miami fan (not even the traditionalists) want to see it against for a decade. Whatever the Fins do, I hope no vestiges of past era's uniforms remain, I want to see a complete and total restart for my beloved team.

cttdolphins2.png

I proudly have a large "FIRE MILLEN" sign hanging in my cube at work that has been there for a few years. I work a few hundred yards from the Lion's Training Facility and have to drive by it every day. You would not believe the utter disdain for Millen in this town. I think his record is now something like 31-82 during his tenure. Unreal.

As for the Lion's black...no one here seems to mind it and actually the fans seem to like it. It was weird seeing Barry Sanders honored a few weeks ago as he took the field in the current jersey. As mentioned, I like the old school Billy Sims/Dexter Bussey era (late 70s/early 80s) with the silver numbers outlined in white in my post above.

I proudly have a large "FIRE MILLEN" sign hanging in my cube at work that has been there for a few years. I work a few hundred yards from the Lion's Training Facility and have to drive by it every day. You would not believe the utter disdain for Millen in this town. I think his record is now something like 31-82 during his tenure. Unreal.

As for the Lion's black...no one here seems to mind it and actually the fans seem to like it. It was weird seeing Barry Sanders honored a few weeks ago as he took the field in the current jersey. As mentioned, I like the old school Billy Sims/Dexter Bussey era (late 70s/early 80s) with the silver numbers outlined in white in my post above.

Yeah, I don't know a whole lot of lions fans who hate the black either. I don't mind it actually, and I think they needed it more and did a much better job adding it than the 49ers, but not many people on this board seem to agree with me there.

MegatronSig2.jpg

...As for the Lion's black...no one here seems to mind it and actually the fans seem to like it. It was weird seeing Barry Sanders honored a few weeks ago as he took the field in the current jersey. As mentioned, I like the old school Billy Sims/Dexter Bussey era (late 70s/early 80s) with the silver numbers outlined in white in my post above.

Yeah, I don't know a whole lot of lions fans who hate the black either. I don't mind it actually, and I think they needed it more and did a much better job adding it than the 49ers, but not many people on this board seem to agree with me there.

Probably has something to do with the fact that, though the Lions were in the League first, there's also another cat team in the NFL that has black in its scheme along with its blue and silver...along with Matt Millen's attempt to "Raiderize" the lions. I myself don't exactly hate it, but it really does seem kinda forced onto the home/away uniforms...and I don't even think the black 3rd/alts were anywhere close to necessary. But that's just me. However...prior to reading this, I really wasn't aware that most Lion fans, to hear you two say it, don't mind the black and may even embrace it a little. Guess that's a bit refreshing.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The only rumour I've heard is about a possible Browns change. The source is a Penthouse (Jan 2008) interview with Kellen Winslow Jr.
"You know what? We're in the process of changing that. Next year, your gonna see some new uniforms for the Cleveland Browns. This is really a big part of what Braylon Edwards and I have been talking about for a long time. It may be something similar to what the Broncos have. It's time for a change. Sometimes people live in the past in Cleveland. That's fine, but this team is trying to build an identity and start up something new."

Make of it what you want...

If they do that I think Browns fans are going to be pissed. I don't think they will change them since they just changed them this past year making look more like the old uniforms worn by the Browns.

Barry Sanders in the afforementioned new Lion's jersey and what the old one looked like....(and my apologies...I did not mean to hijack this thread. I now return you to our regularly scheduled uniform discussion...)

Barry_Sanders.jpgBarry_Sanders_Old.jpg

In Buffalo's case, they need to dump the red helmets and either go back to white or adopt a different color (blue or silver). Joe Ferguson's been gone for 20+ years, so there's no need to keep the red in the helmets anymore.

Sure there is. It's called uniqueness. Six teams currently wear white helmets (ARZ, IND, MIA, NYJ, SD, TEN). Six teams currenttly wear blue helmets (CHI, DEN, HOU, NYG, SEA, STL). And five teams currently wear silver helmets (CAR, DAL, DET, NE, OAK).

The Bills are one of only two teams that wear red helmets (Kansas City being the other). Oddly enough, those are the only two teams left with white facemasks. The Bills need to stick with red!

To me, the standing buffalo is the best, most well thought out design wise. The streaking buffalo is just too 80s. I know someone mentioned it is timeless but the motion stripe, IMO, dates it pretty clearly. Maybe the streaking buffalo without the 80s stripe would be ok but I fear that it is too 2000s, too similar to all of the other streaking, speading mascots on helmets. (Broncos, Texans, Jaguars, Panthers, etc. etc. etc.)

Considering it was around almost 8 years before the 80s, how do you figure it being an "80's stripe"??

In Buffalo's case, they need to dump the red helmets and either go back to white or adopt a different color (blue or silver). Joe Ferguson's been gone for 20+ years, so there's no need to keep the red in the helmets anymore.

Sure there is. It's called uniqueness. Six teams currently wear white helmets (ARZ, IND, MIA, NYJ, SD, TEN). Six teams currenttly wear blue helmets (CHI, DEN, HOU, NYG, SEA, STL). And five teams currently wear silver helmets (CAR, DAL, DET, NE, OAK).

The Bills are one of only two teams that wear red helmets (Kansas City being the other). Oddly enough, those are the only two teams left with white facemasks. The Bills need to stick with red!

Considering it was around almost 8 years before the 80s, how do you figure it being an "80's stripe"??

The Redskins should be added to this list, even if their official color is burgundy. Burgundy is still a shade of red, last time I checked....although Redskins fans will be quick to correct you if you say RED and Gold.

I agree that red is unique, but I doubt they'll stick with it. I think if they took the jumping Buffalo and changed it from blue to white, removed the streak and slapped it on a red helmet there might be something there. Other than that I can't imagine any other type of logo that would work on a red helmet.

Archived