Afl & nike announce partnership...

Brian in Boston

Arena Football has officially announced a three-year "national partnership" with Nike. Nike will serve as the AFL's official supplier in the Glove, Footwear and Performance Wear categories.

No surprise with regard to the gloves and footwear, as Nike has been providing AFL teams with those items for at least a couple of seasons. However, the addition of a partnership in the Performance Wear category is obviously a boon for Nike as they attempt to build their compression garment business.

What I found particularly interesting was a quote from Glenn Horine, the Arena Football League's Executive Vice President in charge of AFL Properties. Horine said, "This is another step forwrad in developing a world-class Arena Authentics program both on and off the field."

So, how long before an AFL franchise is suiting up in a Nike-designed-and-manufactured uniform, bearing a Nike-developed logo?

Brian in Boston

So, how long before an AFL franchise is suiting up in a Nike-designed-and-manufactured uniform, bearing a Nike-developed logo?

Hopefully soon.... I generally like Nike designed uniforms and identity.

Too bad they had to screw up Oregon's latest uniforms.

I'm looking forward to anything that the AFL can do to get their merchandise into more mainstream retail avenues.  I can't find any AFL logowear anywhere in St. Louis, even at the shops that have huge and diverse inventories of authentics, replicas and logo'd sports merchandise (Sports Fan Attic in particular - and that place has just about everyting).

I'm looking forward to anything that the AFL can do to get their merchandise into more mainstream retail avenues. I can't find any AFL logowear anywhere in St. Louis, even at the shops that have huge and diverse inventories of authentics, replicas and logo'd sports merchandise (Sports Fan Attic in particular - and that place has just about everyting).

You said AFL will likely be back here by '06 or '07 right?

The chatter that I have heard from guys who are involved in the local sports scene is that there is interest from the AFL in bringing arenaball back to St. Louis.  The success of the Rams clearly has a lot to do with it.  One of the reasons the AFL failed the first time around was because the team had a lease at Kiel (now Savvis) and couldn't fill a 20,000 seat arena.  Therefore, the plan is to wait until the new SLU arena in Midtown is complete and that will be in 2006.  That arena will only hold 13,000 people and shouldn't be so hard to fill or at least come close.  It will be good for SLU in that they will have another paying tenant and good for the redeveloping Midtown area.  Since the AFL now starts in February, the team would be a secondary tenant for the first 4-5 weeks of the season while the Billikens wrap up their season, and that likely means they will be restricted to Friday night and Sunday afternoon home games for the first part of the season, but that shouldn't be a huge issue.

If they do come back to STL, I certainly hope that they do better with their logo and team name.  Although I loved going to Stampede games, I never really embraced the name or the logo.  Their U of Maryland knockoff uniforms weren't bad though.

Wow I tell you with this deal the NBC deal soon people will have to take the league seriously.

If this continues I may need to launch an AFL section on my site.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Yeah they dont show any highlights of the AFL on Sportscenter at all.

Its time that Sportscenter starts focusing on sports and less on schtick we dont need to see things like Bud Hot Seat.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

I've said it once and I'll say it again: screw ESPN.

Their new focus is clearly on the entertainment side of sports (with these stupid drama shows and reality shows about being a Sportscenter anchor)... and Cold Pizza, for crying out loud, covers pretty much everything. Correct me if I'm wrong, but ESPN2 is a SPORTS channel, right? Then, why are they covering the latest movie stars' breakups on their morning talk show?

Blah... ESPN sucks.

That is true Nitro their new direction is not a good one. Look at an old Sportsecenter they show em on ESPN Classic ocassionally and they were much better.  You had a few catch phrases and it worked but now it seems forced half the time.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Well... in fairness guys, ESPN has always stood for the "Entertainment and Sports Programming Network".

Brian in Boston

Not anymore - according to ESPN.com:

WHAT DOES ESPN STAND FOR?

It doesn't stand for anything, but the story is this...When ESPN started in 1979 we were the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network (thus, ESPN). However, the full name was dropped in February 1985 when the company adopted a new corporate name --ESPN, Inc.--and a new logo. We are a subsidiary of ABC, Inc., which is a wholly owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Co. The Hearst Corporation has a 20 percent interest in ESPN.

Back on topic:

Yeah, I wish they showed highlights of AFL action.  I've really caught the bug again.  I just hope that the Bradley Center figures out what they want to do, and someone steps up to bring back the Mustangs.

It's where I sit.

Archived