Flyers-Pens in talks about outdoor game

philly97flyer

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/12556301.html

As a Flyers fan, this would take the rivalry to a whole new level. Imagine 50-60,000 Flyers fans at one end, and about 50-60,000 Pens fans at the other in the bitter cold. Penn State is right in the middle of Philly and Pittsburgh, so I think there would be a huge showing from both cities. No doubt the game would be a sellout. What do you guys think?

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

The pinnacle of all outdoor games to me would still be a Wild-Stars matchup at the Gophers' new TCF Bank Stadium in 2009. All other possible scenarios for an outdoor game pale in comparison.

Red Wings-Avalanche in either Comerica Park (Detroit) or Invesco Field (Denver) could come close.

The pinnacle of all outdoor games to me would still be a Wild-Stars matchup at the Gophers' new TCF Bank Stadium in 2009. All other possible scenarios for an outdoor game pale in comparison.

Habs-Leafs at Molson Stadium, or Flames-Oilers at either McMahon or Commonwealth would have that game beaten easily.

1zqy8ok.gif

I think it would be a good idea, seeing as the game would efinately sell out (yes, even at Beaver Stadium) and provide each owner with 3x as much reveune they get from a normal game. Couple that with the fact that I'd probably go, and you've got yourself a good hockey setting.

nhlvquebec2mw0.pngnhlpittsburghmo1.pngmlsnewenglandei8.pngnflbaltimoreff1.pngncaaohiostatepx4.png

Interesting Baseball fact: In 1960: Baltimore, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh had 2 AAA affiliates, while Los Angeles had 3 teams...and the New York Yankees had the Kansas City Athletics.

Interesting Hockey fact: In 1974, the Buffalo Sabres draft Taro Tsujimoto of the Toyko Katanas with th 183 pick in the draft. It was later revealed that Taro didn't exist, but Taro is still listed as an offical draftee of the Buffalo Sabres in their Media Guide.

I just don't get the whole novelty of playing an indoor game outside. Let me guess...we can bust out those "tite baby blue uniz cuz they rawk." :(

Ca$H Grab alert...

Well there is a history of hockey outdoors. I believe the Olympic Hockey tournament (as well as the World Championships) were played outdoors up until the 1960's. Yea it's a cash grab but it's a cool cash grab.

Red Wings-Avalanche in either Comerica Park (Detroit) or Invesco Field (Denver) could come close.

Nah, that rivalry's lost some steam, whether fans of either club want to admit it or not. I'm in favor of one game per year to rotate around the league--but in terms of U.S. cities, Minny-St. Paul would be the quintessential venue, no matter who they host. Nobody can top it for the combination of cold weather and overall hockey voracity.

I'm calling it:

Predators v. Thrashers at Neyland Stadium.

:P

The day that 100,000 people in the Deep South converge upon a football stadium to watch a hockey game will be the day after I fly to Mars, colonize it, migrate at least 5,000 people, and turn Mars into New New York, all in the same day. :grin:

But seriously, that'd be awesome. I'd go if that could actually happen.

I'm calling it:

Predators v. Thrashers at Neyland Stadium.

:P

The day that 100,000 people in the Deep South converge upon a football stadium to watch a hockey game will be the day after I fly to Mars, colonize it, migrate at least 5,000 people, and turn Mars into New New York, all in the same day. :grin:

But seriously, that'd be awesome. I'd go if that could actually happen.

I'd buy tickets and go.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

OK, lets say this becomes an annual thing, where else could games go:

Pens-Flyers @ Penn State (107,282)

Leafs-Habs @ Percival Molson Stadium (25,000) or Roger Centre w/ roof open (53,000)

Wild-anyone @ New TCF Bank Stadium (50,200)

Some combination of Rangers, Isles, and Devils @ New Yankee Stadium (53,000), Citi Field (45,000), or Meadowlands Stadium (current: 80,242 - future: 82,500)

Avs-anyone @ Invesco Field (76,125) or Coors Field (50,449)

Wings-anyone @ Comerica Park (41,070) or Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor (136,373)

I'm surprised more teams haven't tried to put something like this together. Hockey would be amazing to watch outdoors with professional teams going toe to toe.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

OK, lets say this becomes an annual thing, where else could games go:

Pens-Flyers @ Penn State (107,282)

Leafs-Habs @ Percival Molson Stadium (25,000) or Roger Centre w/ roof open (53,000)

Wild-anyone @ New TCF Bank Stadium (50,200)

Some combination of Rangers, Isles, and Devils @ New Yankee Stadium (53,000), Citi Field (45,000), or Meadowlands Stadium (current: 80,242 - future: 82,500)

Avs-anyone @ Invesco Field (76,125) or Coors Field (50,449)

Wings-anyone @ Comerica Park (41,070) or Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor (136,373)

You could also throw a few more onto my list:

Bruins host @ either Gillette Stadium, Alumni Stadium, or Fenway Park.

Blackhawks host @ Soldier Field

Bluejackets host @ Ohio Stadium

Archived