Shakhtar Dontesk

plamenj

and the logo explained here: link

Yeah, in Ukranaian. :P I know, there's an English version, it just took me a minute. Not a bad backstory for the logo.

They have a great logo history on their site. Handy of them to provide an .eps of the new logo....

I like this one. A lot. The crossed hammer and pick works for "miners" without going overboard. Nice gas flame, as well.

Can anybody who knows Cyrillic explain why the team name is spelled variously «Шахтер», «Шахтaр», «Шахмeр» and «Шахмар» on the same page? You can see it in the crests as well:

3.gif5.gif249.jpg6.gif

Can anybody who knows Cyrillic explain why the team name is spelled variously «Шахтер», «Шахтaр», «Шахмeр» and «Шахмар» on the same page?

In Cyrillic, the T and the M are equivalent, believe it or not. What we think of as an "M" is actually a cursive T.

What the vowel change is about I couldn't begin to guess, though.

Can anybody who knows Cyrillic explain why the team name is spelled variously «Шахтер», «Шахтaр», «Шахмeр» and «Шахмар» on the same page? You can see it in the crests as well:

3.gif5.gif249.jpg6.gif

No idea, they say "Shakhter", "Shakhtar", "Shakhmer" and "Shakhmar", in the order that you typed them. I have a rudimentary knowledge of Cyrillic and no previous knowledge of this football club...but I think it might have something to do with changes from Russian to Ukrainian (Ukrainian was heavily Russified during the Soviet era, when the early logos would have been in use) ... I also know there have been some language/spelling reforms in Russian, not sure about Ukranian. That's my guess as to why there's a discrepancy in the logos.

And isn't it great when Cyrillic says funny things when read using English letters? YAY WAXTAP! GOOO WAXTAP! :D

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Can anybody who knows Cyrillic explain why the team name is spelled variously «??????», «????a?», «????e?» and «??????» on the same page?

In Cyrillic, the T and the M are equivalent, believe it or not. What we think of as an "M" is actually a cursive T.

What the vowel change is about I couldn't begin to guess, though.

You're correct about the "T" and "M"...after taking two years of russian in college...it was something I never understood...most of our cursive capitals and lower case letters look similar...but then again...we grew up only knowing the Germanic/Roman alphabet...

..I'm unsure about the vowel change...quite odd.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

I'm confused about the "T" and "M" thing...I got a little into studying Russian a few summers ago, I always understood that they came from the Greek letters Tau and Mu, and every orthography I ever looked at had T and M seperate. How/when are they used in similar ways?

I'm confused about the "T" and "M" thing...I got a little into studying Russian a few summers ago, I always understood that they came from the Greek letters Tau and Mu, and every orthography I ever looked at had T and M seperate. How/when are they used in similar ways?

Russian, Ukranian, and all the languages that use the Cyrillic alphabet have both T and M sounds. It's just that the cursive way of writing the Cyrillic T looks like an M. (The cursive M in Cyrillic also looks like an M, just more like the print M than the cursive M, if that makes any sense, which it probably doesn't)

PATSOX would be ПАТСОКС :D

Russian, Ukranian, and all the languages that use the Cyrillic alphabet have both T and M sounds. It's just that the cursive way of writing the Cyrillic T looks like an M. (The cursive M in Cyrillic also looks like an M, just more like the print M than the cursive M, if that makes any sense, which it probably doesn't)

PATSOX would be ПАТСОКС :D

So they're written similar but pronounced differently? That doesn't account for them being used interchangeably in the logos...unless I'm really missing something.

And isn't it great when Cyrillic says funny things when read using English letters? YAY WAXTAP! GOOO WAXTAP! :D

MACTEP!

MOCKBA! Oh, wait...

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

OCE got it right:

Lowercase italic T looks like m. Lowercase regular T looks like a small T. Lowercase M looks like a small M. They get messed up in different fonts...

Actually fans (being ethnically Russian) have been complaining about the missing Шахтeр version of the new logo.

• 1 year later...

I just wanted to bump this old thread to mention that Shakhtar have won the final UEFA Cup before the competition becomes the Europa League.... GO WAXTAP! :D

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived