Cleveland Browns

gingerbreadmann

I was reading this thread: http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?sh...mp;#entry878927, and I got inspired. I thought, I could really go places with this! And why not try out my new download, Inkscape?

So I did. And here is the result(please understand it's not perfect; I have NEVER worked with vector graphics before and I learned on the fly with this one)

browns.png

I lightened up the orange a bit, and gave it a bit more modern look, while preserving more old school shoulder stripes. C&C!

Oh, and I have to say, I was very impressed with Inkscape. I will definitely be using it more often and (trying) to get better. Thanks!

What do you mean by that, bucs and Old School? The colors are virtually the same as they have now and I only change them because of suggestions. Are you saying the colors are bad? What about the unis?

We're fellow Boston boys, so I'll be forgiving...

Those colors are *not* "virtually the same" as what they use now. The brown is a completely different shade, and they don't use that macaroni-and-cheese yellow that you have in there...they use a very bold orange. The design itself is decent, but I don't think the Texans' font on the numbers is the way to go. The Browns are very, very traditional and therefore need to evoke that feeling when you see their uni's. Try a varsity font, possibly with a serif. I do, however, like where you're going with the shoulder stripes. They could swing those.

What do you mean by that, bucs and Old School? The colors are virtually the same as they have now and I only change them because of suggestions. Are you saying the colors are bad? What about the unis?

no.

These are the team colors for the browns:

http://www.ssur.org/research/TeamColors/Fo...RC_9999_SOL.jpg

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

It looks like Wyoming went pro. Thats too much of a gold look to me.

I think youve done good work, but the only reason I dont like it is because its the Browns. You can never change the Browns unless its thier 50's throwbacks with the numbers on the helmets. That is the only exception. Dont get me wrong, its good work, its just that it cant be done.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Somehow I get that you may have been trying to go for something of an old-school style "washed out" type look. I may also be totally wrong about that.

I will say this here, though: minus the orange side panels, on looks alone it wouldn't be a bad-looking Browns jersey. Still looks a good bit old-school. However, I don't think the Texans number font would be the way to go. Something a bit more "blocky" might give this the Rust Belt look so many Clevelanders and everyone else is used to (which, on a tangent, is a pretty good reason why the Steelboyz seriously need to consider ripping those italicized Futura numbers off and stitching bolder, stronger, more upright-looking numbers back on). As far as the colors go, me personally, I'd like a more vividly contrasting color pairing, something like a deeper, richer brown and a bit more vibrant orange, for effect and visual "pop".

As for this being your first time using Inkscape--or vectors, period--I must say that is a mighty fine job for a rook. Only way to improve is with practice and sticking at it. It can be done. (I taught myself how to use Illustrator before I even knew what type of program it was, so it's possible.) I've never used Inkscape, but I don't doubt many of the tools, processes, and functions work somewhat similar. Keep playing around with it...you'll get better, I promise.

And welcome to the world of vectors!!

(One of these days, I'll chalenge myself to create something using something other than a vector program... :P )

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

When I said that the colors were virtually the same I was referring to my updated ones. Specifically this one:

browns3.png

Now I see more of what you guys are saying; I think I had the screen angled up so they looked darker. I just guessed the colors from my head; I did it on the fly and I guess I was a bit off(and looking at it from a different angle, literally). In any case, thanks so much for your suggestions and comments. I will post a more detailed reply and update a bit later, but for now thanks for looking at this and for the compliments and suggestions.

That color is not Browns orange. Not even close.

I realize that now, as explained above.

We're fellow Boston boys, so I'll be forgiving...

Those colors are *not* "virtually the same" as what they use now. The brown is a completely different shade, and they don't use that macaroni-and-cheese yellow that you have in there...they use a very bold orange. The design itself is decent, but I don't think the Texans' font on the numbers is the way to go. The Browns are very, very traditional and therefore need to evoke that feeling when you see their uni's. Try a varsity font, possibly with a serif. I do, however, like where you're going with the shoulder stripes. They could swing those.

Okay, okay. They're not the same. I don't think the brown was very different at all though and I looked at SSUR's team colors(thanks coast2coast, I forgot about those) and it was only a bit lighter(I darkened it below). About the font, I love the Texans font and I think it will look good almost anywhere, but I decided to follow that advice and changed it below. First I went with the Rams, but that's also curved. Then the Vikings, which is too fat, and then the simple Varsity Block and I am happy with how it came out, though I still like the Texans better but agree with the traditional part.

It looks like Wyoming went pro. Thats too much of a gold look to me.

I think youve done good work, but the only reason I dont like it is because its the Browns. You can never change the Browns unless its thier 50's throwbacks with the numbers on the helmets. That is the only exception. Dont get me wrong, its good work, its just that it cant be done.

I changed the "gold." I agree about the Browns, but as I said in the intro, this is inspired by the rumor that they could get new jerseys.

Somehow I get that you may have been trying to go for something of an old-school style "washed out" type look. I may also be totally wrong about that.

I will say this here, though: minus the orange side panels, on looks alone it wouldn't be a bad-looking Browns jersey. Still looks a good bit old-school. However, I don't think the Texans number font would be the way to go. Something a bit more "blocky" might give this the Rust Belt look so many Clevelanders and everyone else is used to (which, on a tangent, is a pretty good reason why the Steelboyz seriously need to consider ripping those italicized Futura numbers off and stitching bolder, stronger, more upright-looking numbers back on). As far as the colors go, me personally, I'd like a more vividly contrasting color pairing, something like a deeper, richer brown and a bit more vibrant orange, for effect and visual "pop".

As for this being your first time using Inkscape--or vectors, period--I must say that is a mighty fine job for a rook. Only way to improve is with practice and sticking at it. It can be done. (I taught myself how to use Illustrator before I even knew what type of program it was, so it's possible.) I've never used Inkscape, but I don't doubt many of the tools, processes, and functions work somewhat similar. Keep playing around with it...you'll get better, I promise.

And welcome to the world of vectors!!

(One of these days, I'll chalenge myself to create something using something other than a vector program... tongue.gif )

Thanks for this long response. let me start with the side panels and font. I put side panels on to modernize it. Not overly modernized, just a small bit. As I said above, I really like the Texans font but in the end I went with the varsity block. I fixed up the colors a bit, hope they look more vibrant now. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "washed out," but you're probably right.

Thanks I just basically read the tutorial on filling objects in and drew straight lines; I'm not gonna mess with Bezier curves just yet. I've never used AI, but I imagine they're similar too. I will definitely keep working at it... thanks again for your reply.

It's messing with my eyes. Without the orange, it makes the brown look wrong. Or maybe it's not the right bowrn.

Haha, you're probably right. I hope the new colors look better. Speaking of new colors...

Here are the updated concepts, with three options:

browns4.png

This one I forgot to darken the brown, and I used Vikings number font, but its main purpose is to show how it would look with darker stripes and lighter side panels. I kind of like it.

browns5.png

Here is the main concept, but with everything darkened to (hopefully) more closely match their actual scheme. and using Varsity block #s.

browns6.png

This is the same thing, but with side panels removed as bucco suggested.

Thanks for all the comments thus far, and keep them coming!

gingerbreadmann

The third one just posted isn't too bad. Try it with the Vikings numerals and Vikings letters, the serifed ones. (come w/ eriqjaffe's font package). I think serifed letters would look better because they'd almost perfectly match the wordmark, that they use now.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Archived