Miami Marlins

smith03

Pantone, it may be in the style guide. But the writing is on the walls. This team is moving farther and farther away from the color teal everyday. You see it in the uniforms, you see it on the tickets, promotions, stadium banners, ads on TV and in the newspaper. Every season now it (the color orange) has crept in more and more in the place of where teal should be used. The style guide may not show it, but as of right now, orange, black and silver are the 'colors of preference' of the Florida Marlins.

I wouldn't be surprised to see teal dropped altogether from the official style guide when the team relocates to Miami.

Again, that's all fine and dandy...but until they actually start putting Orange into the uniforms, it's going to be a secondary color.

Why are you all argueing with me about this? I list colors not only based on the Style Guide, but what is actually worn on-field. I couldn't give a crap if they sell an Orange cap, or a plaid shirt, the colors are going to be listed as they are being used.

I'm not arguing this with you.

I was just stating what the trend has been down here the last several years.

The fact that Samson said that speaks volumes about what the current regime thinks of the color teal, especially going forward.

That's all I'm saying.

But go ahead post another color sheet if it'll cement your e-all-knowingness. :rolleyes:

1997 | 2003

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see anything about the Marlins site that suggests they are eliminating teal in favor of orange. In fact there's more teal there than anywhere else. I see the sunset and palm trees that must be part of their "You Gotta Be Here" promotional campaign, but right in the middle of that slogan is the big, round teal Marlins logo serving as the O in "YOU." Just because pocket schedules and tickets are orange and black doesn't mean anything has officially changed. The White Sox added forest green one year and red another to all of their promo material and neither of those colors ended up being official.

And marlinfan, posting color sheets is more credible than what was heard on the radio. Anyone got that interview on a site? The radio station maybe? I'd like to hear the context. As presented here, David Samson allegedly said "the Marlins colors are black and orange." There is no disputing that is false. He is wrong. If he said "they will be black and orange," that's different. If he said they are "black and silver," fine. But you only need eyes to see there is no orange in what the Marlins wear.

Believe what you want, but in no way are the Marlins colors black and orange. And if Samson really said that as quoted, he has more issues than Marlins fans already thought. If Samson says the sky is brown, he's wrong about that, too.

And anyone who has followed the stadium issues in Miami will tell you, don't believe it until you see it. This has been going on for years upon years.

I don't see anything about the Marlins site that suggests they are eliminating teal in favor of orange. In fact there's more teal there than anywhere else. I see the sunset and palm trees that must be part of their "You Gotta Be Here" promotional campaign, but right in the middle of that slogan is the big, round teal Marlins logo serving as the O in "YOU." Just because pocket schedules and tickets are orange and black doesn't mean anything has officially changed. The White Sox added forest green one year and red another to all of their promo material and neither of those colors ended up being official.

And marlinfan, posting color sheets is more credible than what was heard on the radio. Anyone got that interview on a site? The radio station maybe? I'd like to hear the context. As presented here, David Samson allegedly said "the Marlins colors are black and orange." There is no disputing that is false. He is wrong. If he said "they will be black and orange," that's different. If he said they are "black and silver," fine. But you only need eyes to see there is no orange in what the Marlins wear.

Believe what you want, but in no way are the Marlins colors black and orange. And if Samson really said that as quoted, he has more issues than Marlins fans already thought. If Samson says the sky is brown, he's wrong about that, too.

And anyone who has followed the stadium issues in Miami will tell you, don't believe it until you see it. This has been going on for years upon years.

Finally - someone who understands what I was trying to say.

Thanks.

I for one hope the Fish keep the teal (or aquamarine, or turquiose, of whatev--"Marlin Blue") color they have now moving forward. I remember long ago there was a rumor circulating about the Marlins, upon actually rebranding themselves the Miami Marlins, would move over to a black and orange base set. I said it then, and I'll say it again: the LAST thing MLB needs--as well as the Baltimore Orioles and San Francisco Giants--is another black and orange team. We already have enough blue and red teams in MLB; the Marlin Blue is unique. (Although, one must wonder, would the Fish mix in enough orange with the teal to make it matter? If so, then at least their NFL and MLB squads would match colors somewhat...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Finally - someone who understands what I was trying to say.

Thanks.

I know your frustration, PANTONE. i recently got into it on the Vikings fan board a few weeks ago, as the question was asked about what the colors truely were, so i showed them your swatches. This one guy was convinced it was wrong, because it looked different on his computer screen than on his jerseys in his closet. The whole explaining of color transfer to different materials argument was futile.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

I know your frustration, PANTONE. i recently got into it on the Vikings fan board a few weeks ago, as the question was asked about what the colors truely were, so i showed them your swatches. This one guy was convinced it was wrong, because it looked different on his computer screen than on his jerseys in his closet. The whole explaining of color transfer to different materials argument was futile.

Not to mention the fact that I'm guessing his monitor was more than likely not calibrated correctly. That makes a HUGE difference in how the colors will look.

Honestly, my monitor is OK, but not properly calibrated (I've asked for a Huey for Christmas!). Purples especially look a little bit too Blue on my monitor.

The color swatches I use will accurately depict on-screen how the Solid colors should look when printed with Pantone inks. In the sRGB color space. With a calibrated monitor.

I can produce these same swatches in the Adobe RGB (1998) color space as well, or using the sRGB IEC6 1966-2.1 Color Space.

I may not know nuthin' 'bout birthin' no babies, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can about colors and how they apply to fabrics, printing and monitor reproduction.

Why are you all argueing with me about this? I list colors not only based on the Style Guide, but what is actually worn on-field. I couldn't give a crap if they sell an Orange cap, or a plaid shirt, the colors are going to be listed as they are being used.

Pantone, I really didn't mean to argue with you about anything, merely to raise the larger question of what constitutes a team's colors, the colors they say they use or the colors they actually use, which often are significantly different things. This difference can exist both in terms of the actual color values used and in terms of the definition of primary versus secondary colors. Thanks to corporate suits who know even less about using color than they do about running a baseball team making marketing decisions about color use, it can sometimes be a messy world out there where the signs and uniforms meet the public. I really didn't mean to assert any kind of "Pantone is wrong about anything" statement.

In a larger, philosophical sense, I'd say that the Marlins colors are black and silver right now. Sure, there's teal in there, and a smidgen of orange, but black and silver dominate with teal used mainly for fine detailing. And that's too bad, because a dominant teal with black and silver would look terrific, and any use of orange and teal would only be to the good. But I hope they don't go to anything like black with orange highlights, a la the Orioles and Giants. If the Fish wanted to go to orange as a primary color, like the Astros back in the day, with black highlights, I'd be OK with that. But that means orange caps, and I don't see this franchise being that bold. Alas.

20082614447.png

Pantone, I really didn't mean to argue with you about anything, merely to raise the larger question of what constitutes a team's colors, the colors they say they use or the colors they actually use, which often are significantly different things. This difference can exist both in terms of the actual color values used and in terms of the definition of primary versus secondary colors. Thanks to corporate suits who know even less about using color than they do about running a baseball team making marketing decisions about color use, it can sometimes be a messy world out there where the signs and uniforms meet the public. I really didn't mean to assert any kind of "Pantone is wrong about anything" statement.

In a larger, philosophical sense, I'd say that the Marlins colors are black and silver right now. Sure, there's teal in there, and a smidgen of orange, but black and silver dominate with teal used mainly for fine detailing. And that's too bad, because a dominant teal with black and silver would look terrific, and any use of orange and teal would only be to the good. But I hope they don't go to anything like black with orange highlights, a la the Orioles and Giants. If the Fish wanted to go to orange as a primary color, like the Astros back in the day, with black highlights, I'd be OK with that. But that means orange caps, and I don't see this franchise being that bold. Alas.

Exactly. There seems to be a matter of semantics at play here. Officially, yes, the teal is still part of the Marlins package, and prominently so (at least IMO). However, if we're going officially, then the Jacksonville Jaguars have almost 20 different logo variations and wordmarks - yet i've only seen about three or four ever used. What's still listed as "official" in the style sheets may not be the most current indicator of what's actually going on with the franchise's color/logo schemes.

What I think that marlinfan was trying to say was that the powers in charge of the franchise are definitely going about scuttling teal from the color combos. Yes, it hasn't officially been etched in stone, but the signs are there - and when the team president point blank responds with a "our colors are black and orange", then the writing's on the wall here. The teal's on its way out - not officially, of course, but we can see the signs.

Is this good or bad? Who knows. I don't want to see another Oriole/Giant clone out there - but are they bold enough to make orange the primary?

To throw my two cents into this. I happened to get a new monitor and calibrated it and all, and I just happened to check this thread to see what y'all were talking about. I then saw Pantone throw the colors up there and decided to grab my all teal Marlins cap and compare it to what Pantone had listed. As a graphic designer I understand, the difference between screen and printed colors, so I'd understand that the colors would be off. What caught me as interesting is the thread color in the stitching of the Marlin pretty much matches the Marlin Blue, where as the rest of the cap is more of a darker green teal. I just found it interesting the the stitching is actually pretty close to the screen color of what they call Marlins Blue. :D

Archived