College Bowl Game Names

TBGKon

And what you're seeing with all the corporate name-raping of most if not all of D-1--uh, excuse me--FBS bowl games is exactly what one write over on espn.com as well as someone in this forum somewhere noted about the difference between the upper level (FBS) and the not-as-upper division (FCS):

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

To me..it's kind of a daggone shame the NCAA is able to exploit the lives of college-aged kids like this, make all kind of money off them...but then just as SOON as one of those same kids does something as minor as "takes a ride in a limo owned by an alum or booster of such-and-such school", the NCAA wants to levy all kinds of sanctions against that kid and, sometimes, the school itself. Kinda ass-backwards, if you ask me. (And suddenly...the whole idea of "paying college athletes" that got pitched arounf a couple years ago doesn't sound all that crazy to me anymore...)

...Oh by the way...my personal favorite of the "corporate names"--as well as the instance in which I saw the end for historically named and RECOGNIZEABLE bowl games: the Insight.com Bowl, which, if I'm not mistaken, used to be known as the Humanitarian Bowl, played on the SmurfTurf up in Boise, Idaho.

Oh--and whoever it was that chimed in on Mobile, AL, being the birthplace of Mardi Gras...BRAVO!!! The City of Mobile thanks you. (The place is like 40 minutes west of my hometown and sorta-kinda-direct rival, Pensacola, FL.) You're right...the whole shebang started in Mobile, but New Orleans is much more well-known for it. Mardi Gras, in terms of revelry and patronage, is actually almost just as big as in the Big Easy without half the trouble. And suddenly, I REALLY miss home now...

...OH--and if the GMAC Bowl ever does get renamed, I think the Port City Bowl would be a very good name, if not the Bowl By the Bay. (There's already a piece of Mobile known as "Down the Bay" or "By the Bay" depending on who you talk to up in the place also known (for a far less celebrated reason) as "Cotton City".

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

And what you're seeing with all the corporate name-raping of most if not all of D-1--uh, excuse me--FBS bowl games is exactly what one write over on espn.com as well as someone in this forum somewhere noted about the difference between the upper level (FBS) and the not-as-upper division (FCS):

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

To me..it's kind of a daggone shame the NCAA is able to exploit the lives of college-aged kids like this, make all kind of money off them...but then just as SOON as one of those same kids does something as minor as "takes a ride in a limo owned by an alum or booster of such-and-such school", the NCAA wants to levy all kinds of sanctions against that kid and, sometimes, the school itself. Kinda ass-backwards, if you ask me. (And suddenly...the whole idea of "paying college athletes" that got pitched arounf a couple years ago doesn't sound all that crazy to me anymore...)

Compare the average student to one on a football (or most any athletic) scholarship, and you'll see that the athlete's got a pretty sweet college ride that the average student would kill to have.

I'ma throw some dees and my idea for a new sponsor/name for the GMAC Bowl...the Rich Bowl.

100 creamerbucks to the first one to figure this out ;)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I'ma throw some dees and my idea for a new sponsor/name for the GMAC Bowl...the Rich Bowl.

100 creamerbucks to the first one to figure this out ;)

There's a reason I ain't mention Rich Boy when I was talking about "Cotton City"...and you just uncovered it.

Now GIMME MY DAMN MONEY!!!

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Actually, bucco_B, the current Insight Bowl was formerly known as the Insight.com Bowl and even before that known as the Copper Bowl. The Humanitarian Bowl was once known as the MPCComputers.com Bowl, then just as the MPC Computers Bowl. This year it went back to the name Humanitarian Bowl.

LibertyBowl.png

OK, here's my spin on this endeavor.

NEW NAMES

New Orleans Bowl = Bayou Bowl

New Mexico Bowl = Land of Enchantment Bowl

GMAC Bowl = Gulf Coast Bowl

Papajohns.com Bowl = Southern Steel Bowl or Magic City Bowl

Car Care Bowl = Hornet Bowl

Las Vegas Bowl = Sin City Bowl

Texas Bowl = Lone Star Bowl

REVERTED NAMES

Hawaii Bowl = Aloha Bowl

Insight Bowl = Copper Bowl

Champs Sports Bowl = Tangerine Bowl

Chic-fil-A Bowl = Peach Bowl

Capital One Bowl = Citrus Bowl

LibertyBowl.png

People seem to forget that Orlando's oldest bowl game was actually originally known as the Tangerine Bowl, and only became the Florida Citrus Bowl thanks to an early case of corporate whoring.

I actually believe that when the now Champs Sports Bowl moved from Miami to Orlando a few years or so ago, it was the Mazda Tangerine Bowl

People seem to forget that Orlando's oldest bowl game was actually originally known as the Tangerine Bowl, and only became the Florida Citrus Bowl thanks to an early case of corporate whoring.

I actually believe that when the now Champs Sports Bowl moved from Miami to Orlando a few years or so ago, it was the Mazda Tangerine Bowl

You're right - when the game moved the new operators didn't have a corporation to whore the name out to, so they dusted off Tangerine Bowl from the original game and used it for the other one as well.

nav-logo.png

I'd say that the only good corporate bowl names be based off of regional sponsorship.

For example, change the Emerald Nuts Bowl to the Ghiradelli Chocolate Bowl

Or, change the New Orleans Bowl the Zatarain's Bowl

VmWIn6B.png

I don't necessarily mind corporate sponsorship of bowl games, per se. Having the Hall of Fame Bowl sponsored by Outback or the Charlotte Bowl sponsored by Trojan Condoms is fine by me. What I don't care for is the usurpation of bowl games' names as part of the process:

Peach Bowl? Gone. Now the illustrious Chick-Fil-A Bowl.

Hall of Fame Bowl? Not any more. We've got the Outback Bowl!

Copper Bowl? What was that? Oh, yeah, that's now the Insight Bowl!

Tangerine Bowl? Oh, you mean the Florida Citrus Bowl... no, wait, the CompUSA Florida Citrus Bowl. What? Oh, my mistake! The Ourhouse.com Florida Citrus Bowl... huh? The Capital One Florida Citrus Bowl? Oh, sorry. Just the Capital One Bowl.

Jesus it'd be laughable if it weren't so sad.

nav-logo.png

Archived