Doosh's NFL 2008 Redesign

MattMilone

So rather than littering the boards with all my team concepts, why not put them all in one place? Any who, I probably won't post these concepts in any particular quickness. When I have time or get an idea, I'll through another team up. The whole purpose of my designs is to be a realistic as possible: i.e., it's really a self-test of my ability to brand and innovate while making creation that are within the realm of possibly being a real brand one day. Also, C&C is huge for me because I'm an aspiring graphic designer, so for me C&C is the same as training myself to interpret what an employer wants and apply that to a design. Ok, so without further ado, here is the first concept in this thread: The Buffalo Bills.

Buffalo Bills

My first real goal with the Bills was fixing their color issues. I decided to use the "normal" or "piping" blue from their current set as the primary. Keeping the same red that's been used since forever (I think they've never changed, but I could be wrong) and felt those two colors, and just those two (no silver, or almost-black-blues). From the design of the jersey, I wanted to recall the old school Bills, almost similar to the current Bills throwback. Now the jerseys are blue heavy, but I think the white pants and helmet stop the home uniform from appearing over saturated. The away set then, I was in fear of being too white. That lead to the blue pants, but I'm still shaky on exactly how they look. Thus, I included an "alternate" set to display the all white, or "Abodimal Snowmen" set. Alrighty then, I present The 2008 Buffalo Bills, v2.

BuffaloBills.jpg

BuffaloBillsHelmet.jpg

BuffaloBillsHome-2.jpg

BuffaloBillsAway-2.jpg

BuffaloBillsAlt-2.jpg

The only thing I'd like to see now, is the pants match the jersey stripes, I think the jerseys would flow better. Why don't you try that and see how it works.

Otherwise, great job.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

You should use a more modern, yet simple number font. The athletic generic font makes any uniform plain or boring.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Moving on to team number two (2/32), I present the . . .

2008 Chicago Bears.

Inspiration) The Bears are one of those teams who just embody the tough blue-collar attitude. Their success derives all the way back to 30's and 40's, up through the 60's and 70's, and the domination of the league continued in the 80's. Since the NFL came into existence, the Bears have been winning. So overall, the style and feel of Bears needed to stay the same, it needed to keep close to it's fan base (who stretches from people in their 80's and onward). The real heart of this concept came from an old image of a Bears helmet, the ones that were plain dark blue with a pure white "C" on it (found here). Then, comparing the old classical burnt orange jerseys to the ones, I figured I needed to blend the old feeling of the jerseys, the real strength and power of the blue, with the new sleeker style the NFL is moving toward.

Execution) I used the more traditional blue (a very slight difference from the current Bears navy) and the normal Bears orange. I wanted to rid of the three orange stripes on the home, and use an orange-white-orange striping instead. Also, I put the TV numbers on the shoulder, allowing all three stripes to be on the sleeve (thanks to Billy B for the suggestion), and I think it's more efficient for the tight style cuts used my most players. For the numbers and the pants stripes, this was really the one thing that was really different and could really piss people off: using TWO strokes on the numbers, the inner-most using the jersey color stroke, and the outer using the classical color stroke (i.e. think Chargers 2004 uniform numbers). I think it works, but many may not. I guess I'll just have to see how it turns out . . . As far as the helmet, I've added thin stripes to the top, and used the old school white "C", rather than the orange and white one. (NOTE: Helmet not yet posted, but it'll be up by tonight)

Presentation) I now present Version One of the 2008 Chicago Bears:

ChicagoBearsHome.jpg

ChicagoBearsAway.jpg

C&C is very very appreciated.

Moving on to team number two (2/32), I present the . . .

2008 Chicago Bears.

Inspiration) The Bears are one of those teams who just embody the tough blue-collar attitude. Their success derives all the way back to 30's and 40's, up through the 60's and 70's, and the domination of the league continued in the 80's. Since the NFL came into existence, the Bears have been winning. So overall, the style and feel of Bears needed to stay the same, it needed to keep close to it's fan base (who stretches from people in their 80's and onward). The real heart of this concept came from an old image of a Bears helmet, the ones that were plain dark blue with a pure white "C" on it (found here). Then, comparing the old classical burnt orange jerseys to the ones, I figured I needed to blend the old feeling of the jerseys, the real strength and power of the blue, with the new sleeker style the NFL is moving toward.

Execution) I used the more traditional blue (a very slight difference from the current Bears navy) and the normal Bears orange. I wanted to rid of the three orange stripes on the home, and use an orange-white-orange striping instead. Also, I put the TV numbers on the shoulder, allowing all three stripes to be on the sleeve (thanks to Billy B for the suggestion), and I think it's more efficient for the tight style cuts used my most players. For the numbers and the pants stripes, this was really the one thing that was really different and could really piss people off: using TWO strokes on the numbers, the inner-most using the jersey color stroke, and the outer using the classical color stroke (i.e. think Chargers 2004 uniform numbers). I think it works, but many may not. I guess I'll just have to see how it turns out . . . As far as the helmet, I've added thin stripes to the top, and used the old school white "C", rather than the orange and white one. (NOTE: Helmet not yet posted, but it'll be up by tonight)

Presentation) I now present Version One of the 2008 Chicago Bears:

ChicagoBearsHome.jpg

ChicagoBearsAway.jpg

C&C is very very appreciated.

Sorry, but these are sacrilegious. You've basically removed the most unique and recognizable elements of the uniform, and added an extra stripe to the pants and jersey numbers. I don't really see how this is an update. Also, what's with the all-navy home socks? I'm not diggin' these. I may be a lil biased but I think even non-Chicagoans agree their unis are timeless. I understand that you're updating everyone, but I would have gone in another direction completely than trying to tweak what they already have.

Maybe it's that your monitor is off, or maybe it's mine, but honestly the difference in the Bears primary is so slight I don't think anyone should be able to notice. The difference is literally +2 R in the RGB. It's almost identical when viewed next to the current color found via Chris' site. Also, as far as the GHS, I didn't add it to the right side because it would only be visible on the flat template, and all you would see is a little G and half a H. Not an oversight, more a case of a practicality. If you all really want it in there just for reference, to see how it look, I'll go back and throw it in.

I honestly think it needs a block font for numbers and letters, because right now the Bears' uni reminds me a bit too much of Auburn's.

EDIT: Btw, if you plan on doing a complete redo of the Fins' uniform (please do, it's a new era and it needs to be done), I have a couple ideas I'd like to share with you.

cttdolphins2.png

They look good, but I don't necessarily think it's an improvement. I do like that you kept their number font, though you've got to add George Halas' initials to it! I'm a HUGE fan of the Bears' current unis, and it'd take a lot to improve them, in my opinion.

Additionally, I've got some ideas circulating in my head for a Bengals redesign, when the time comes. *hint, hint*

Sigs are for sissies.

I honestly think it needs a block font for numbers and letters, because right now the Bears' uni reminds me a bit too much of Auburn's.

EDIT: Btw, if you plan on doing a complete redo of the Fins' uniform (please do, it's a new era and it needs to be done), I have a couple ideas I'd like to share with you.

Wait, block numbers would make look pretty much exactly like Auburn's uniforms. I like the number font they currently use.

As for the concept, it does look like Auburn. It's hard to redesign a team that has pretty much looked the same since before we remember.

I personally like the design. The only thing I don't like about it is the strong resemblance to Auburn.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Archived