Houston Astros uniform history

ANGELCAT-IDA61

I know the Astros ran a complete uniform overhaul after bidding farewell from the Astrodome after the 1999 season, and it looks like they have established an identity with the brick red/black/limestone/and graphite colors on their current uniforms they have been wearing for nearly a decade,with a few changes on their alternate jerseys,which I hope will remain the same for years to come. They have made a few uniform modifications prior to that from 1994-1999 Navy/metallic gold combo with that electronical-like wordmark and their traditional orange and navy set from 1974-1993, with the elimination of the multi-colored jersey after the 1986 season. It does not seem the Astros made many uniform modifications, since changing their teamname in 1965. Does anyone have photos of The Astros uniforms from 1965-1974? If so, can someone please post them?

The Astros used a single design from 1965 through 1974, which they modified in 1971, and tweaked slightly in 1972.

In 1971, the orange was emphasised, as the jersey lettering was changed from blue-on-orange to orange-on-blue, and the star on the home jersey was changed from blue to orange. Likewise, the caps and socks were also changed from blue to orange.

Beginning in 1972, the button-down jersey was replaced by a zipper-front jersey, and the sleeves gained a set of orange-white-blue stripes. Also, the belted pants were replaced by waistband pants that had a blue-white-orange stripe pattern on the waistband.

1965-1970

nl_1970_houston.gif

(In 1969, the left sleeve patch was replaced by the Major League Baseball logo that all teams wore to honour Baseball's centennial.)

nl_1971_houston.gif

1972-1974

nl_1972_houston.gif

1965-1970 uni: Joe Morgan and Sonny Jackson, Sports Illustrated cover, June 6, 1966

si06061966_1.jpg

1971 uni: For a shot of Johnny Edwards in the 1971 uni, on his 1972 Topps card, click here.

1972-1974 uni: Lee May

May_Lee_01.jpg

By the way, I the best source I know for comprehensive uni info is a site run by the Hall of Fame called Dressed to the Nines. It uses the graphics from the great book by Mark Okkonen called Baseball Uniforms of the 20th Century.

I also miss stirups and the old Astro shooting star. I grew up in the Houston area when they wore those and I loved them. They never should have ditched them for those awful multi-stripe crapo unis they adopted back in, what, 1976, I believe.

Should have kept the dark blue caps as well.

Yeah, these unis were absolutely incredible, one of the best throwbacks of all time. Most of my family lives in the Houston area, so the Astros are my hometown team away from home. I agree wholeheartedly when I say bring these back! Hey, I should start a concept.......

Archived