NASL Revival

mantleisthebest7

Hey y'all!

Hows it goin with everybody? I hope you guys are having great holidays and I wish you all a merry Christmas, Haunakah, or whatever holiday you may celebrate (no jokes itended, I seriously mean it). Anyways, I came across the NASL (North American Soccer League) logos page on sportslogos.net, and I became interested. I knew that this was the league that Pele played in for the New York Cosmos. I started to wonder, "what if the league survived, or was evenb brought back?" So, I got off my keester, got the names and stuff for some of its teams and began a revival project. Now, its not every team that ever was, but its the ones I found to be best to work with, whether it ws by team longevity, popularity, or jus the overall depth of the logo (like Boston...you'll see). Anyway, im about 1/3 of the way done, and I thought id go ahead and get a start on posting these. Now, some have sponsors, and some don't. NOTE ABOUT THE SPONSORS: I have very minimal sponsor logos (I am in the process of getting some), so I did most of the sponsors logos by hand (or using the text tool in paint). I have no intention in anyway of interfering with copyright laws and such, and have no intention of plagurising the company. Please know this. Anyway, below you will see the featured uniforms and will have thier team name listed with them. I decided with some teams to use european identities (FC, Athletic, City, etc.) to replace the teams former name. This practice was very minimal, as it has been done so far with only two of these 10 (so far) featured teams. I changed Colorado from "Caribous" to "Athletic", and Detroit from "Express" to "FC". About the logos, I have not made larger versions of them as of yet, For I did most of them by hand on the uniform template itself. Some teams, like Boston, Cleveland, and Edmonton, feature the same logo used in their NASL days. Well, without further due, here is the beginning of the revival of the NASL:

(all uniforms manufactured by Nike)

Atlanta Chiefs

Sponsor: TBS

l_218d8ecc9ea9d06419334e87e4116521.jpg

l_a82624bba9a9b88b5e85a5b6d417fea8.jpg

Baltimore Bays FC

Sponsor: none

l_4dff38cb76c8cea3bf012153a3bf7afb.jpg

l_23a75e201baf58eaae7285bbe54dafb8.jpg

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

They look good, only critique would be that some of the jersey design features (truncated stripe over the shoulder) seem to be repeated a little too often. Template does look a little familiar though - haha.

plmiddlesbrough.pngncaancarolina.pngligue1lyon-1.png

Could somebody please find Ja Rule so I can make sense of all this?!?! Help me Ja!!!

Boring template, unimaginative designs and patsox-esque pixel cleaning quality.

Sorry, it had to be said.

With that said, it would be best if you would go to Colours of Football and look at the templates in use by the kit manufacturers these days. You can go from there without any problems. In addition, try to make sure you have sponsors for all of them, and when it comes to sponsors, don't go for the obvious sponsors. Getting something a bit more obscure (Arby's for Atlanta would be great, for example) would be a bit more pleasing, but that's because I revel in the obscure.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Yeah I apologize about the quality of the pics - I use myspace for the pics and they convert them to .jpg all the time without me wanting to.

I also apologize about possible repititions on the unis - I had Nike as the manufacturer and I dont know of many designs they use, so I kinda stuck to either that or a blank uni. I tried to divide them a bit with customized stripes (Baltimore for example), but i'll see if with the upcoming ones I can "varietize" it a bit more.

Thanks for the comments and thanks Fred T. Jane for the link! Anymore comments are definetely welcome.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

Yeah I apologize about the quality of the pics - I use myspace for the pics and they convert them to .jpg all the time without me wanting to.

I also apologize about possible repititions on the unis - I had Nike as the manufacturer and I dont know of many designs they use, so I kinda stuck to either that or a blank uni. I tried to divide them a bit with customized stripes (Baltimore for example), but i'll see if with the upcoming ones I can "varietize" it a bit more.

Thanks for the comments and thanks Fred T. Jane for the link! Anymore comments are definetely welcome.

Photobucket is the answer.(!!!)

As for the jerseys, I am liking them. I like the logos and jersey designs, but I do think the jersey #s could be changed a bit and the typed-in-Paint sponsor logos(i.e. General Motors) could be livened up a bit. Otherwise, though, good job so far. I like these.

not too bothered about the presentation of the concepts, if youve only got paint thats good enough for me. i really like the choice of colours, each team seems to have a really distinct identity. i dont even mind the overuse of certain templates, as like i said the colours are distinct enough, and i'll assume nike has bought the rights to kit out your whole league! three things though:

- some of the kits (especially the white shirt, white shorts, x colour socks) look good here, but i think would not work on the player, on the pitch. maybe im wrong, but try and imagine them in action as well as on the page (or screen).

- certain teams away kits need changed. its not that they dont work from a design point of view, its that theyre not different enough from the home version. cleveland and boston are ones ive noticed that would probably need darker colours introduced. also, something ive seen a lot of recently is teams changing their shorts and socks to avoid clashing, even when theyre at home. i think this would be more up to you and how you see the leagues identity as a whole, but id think about making sure that each part of the away kit was in contrast to the same part of the home kit (see your colorado design for example).

- finally, some of your designs are so close to existing iconic designs that there could be some confusion. i can see why with your boston away shirt, but the atlanta and detroit away kits just scream man utd and holland. i know theres no copyright on team colours, and that by now probably every combination of colours and designs has been used by somebody somewhere, but id be careful about how close you get to the colours of the worlds biggest football club!

wow, i didnt realise i typed so much. i guess i really love football concepts, and this ones pretty good!

IMO (in my opinion) this is a very good set of uniforms - taken back in time with a flair for the new uniforms.

I think you've done a wonderful job - I like your themes/sponsers with the cities. I agree the "paint" version is not

the best format, but still a wonders series of jerseys.

Some would say, "Why waste time on old teams, teams that will never be?", but IMO, the creativity that you have put into this

project asks, why not. You've definitely put some thought and effort into this project - I pat you on the back and say "Well done".

I look forward to seeing your next project - the MISL??? Go KC Comets!!!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

I think you've done a solid job, quality isn't the best, but you do seem to be better than patsox.

Except for a few (Rovers, Tornado, and Stokers) all the concepts seem to be that same thing only in different colors. Look at other teams who use nike and see what other kinds of things you can do with your concepts.

However, I must say, the Rovers and Stokers concepts look pretty good to me, and it looks like your using the colors well. Keep it up, and remember to try and mix things up. Or else your league would look boring aesthetically.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

I think you've done a solid job, quality isn't the best, but you do seem to be better than patsox.

Except for a few (Rovers, Tornado, and Stokers) all the concepts seem to be that same thing only in different colors. Look at other teams who use nike and see what other kinds of things you can do with your concepts.

However, I must say, the Rovers and Stokers concepts look pretty good to me, and it looks like your using the colors well. Keep it up, and remember to try and mix things up. Or else your league would look boring aesthetically.

Thanks for the comments, kewp! I'll explain the part in bold. I made the jerseys after what they wore in thier NASL days, or in Dallas' case a modernization of it. Sorry if it seems repetitve or anything, i was just trying to revitalize thier NASL looks. But anyway, thanks for the comments!

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived