Hartford Civic Center Renamed

koizim

The Hartford Civic Center, formerly known as the Veterans Memorial Coliseum, has a new name. It shall now be known as the XL Center.

For those of you not from the Tri-State area, the XL Center is situated in Hartford, CT and is the home of the Hartford Wolfpack and, for half of the season, the UConn Huskies basketball program. It was also the part-time home of the Celtics from its opening in 1975 until 1995, when the Fleet Center, now known as the TD Banknorth Garden, was constructed. In addition, it played host to the Hartford Whalers until they skipped town for Carolina.

The company that bought the naming rights to the HCC, XL, is sells insurance. This raises the question, "Has anyone ever heard of XL Insurance?" I thought that it was the parent company of XXL Magazine (thank you, Wikipedia for setting me straight).

The XL center? Sounds too much like the Wild's arena, the Excel Center.

The only difference is that the arena in St. Paul, MN has 'Xcel Energy' before Center; therefore, avoiding the confusion between that and the arena formerly known as HCC.

That's what I thought it was called after I heard about it. Sadly, I've never even heard of the alleged 'XL Insurance' and I live in West Hartford.

The only difference is that the arena in St. Paul, MN has 'Xcel Energy' before Center; therefore, avoiding the confusion between that and the arena formerly known as HCC.

Also, the Xcel's the one with an NHL tenant.

Ouch...yeah, I said it.

Technically speaking, yes. BUT, a majority of everybody calls it the Xcel Center.

Technically speaking, yes. BUT, a majority of everybody calls it the Xcel Center.

Well, really, most people just call it "The X."

The company that bought the naming rights to the HCC, XL, is sells insurance. This raises the question, "Has anyone ever heard of XL Insurance?"

So far, it looks like I'm the only one. Of course, that may be because I spent 4.5 years working for a surety bond/insurance company.

Archived