Sign in to follow this  
Commish2

WLAF. XFL and the USFL

I was excited for the XFL at first, but was then a little disappointed after watching a couple of games. I was still willing to give it a shot, and I was extremely mad they cancelled it after one year, without even making some changes to give it another shot. That was the worst part, not even trying.

I know from talking to one of the previous owners in the USFL, most of the ownership was against the move that would have put the league directly in competition with the NFL. But because Trump was the anchor owner they felt they had to go head to head. Also, if the courts would have awarded more then a $1.00 this would have helped the league survive--.

Everyone points to the move to the fall, but the USFL was in trouble long before that.

I actually really loved the XFL. I still have my Maniax jersey and hat from inuagaral season.

Everyone points to the move to the fall, but the USFL was in trouble long before that.

True, but had all the owners stayed the league's original course (as opposed to one, Ron Blanding in Denver, who was smart enough to get out and make a profit in the process), it's very likely the league would have survived to today. They over-estimated the desire for their product, they under-estimated the expectations of their market, they over-spent on talent in an effort to try and acquire "future NFL" level players, then they under-spent on the underpinning talent necessary to make them look good. In short, every time the owners of the USFL could've chosen a fork in the road - one direction toward salvation, the other toward ruin - they took the road to ruin. Every. Single. Time.

I actually really loved the XFL. I still have my Maniax jersey and hat from inuagaral season.

Nice! I wish I had gotten a Tommy Maddox LA Xtreme jersey. Yes I was kinda happy to be a fan of the one-time (and only) XFL Champs :P

True, but had all the owners stayed the league's original course (as opposed to one, Ron Blanding in Denver, who was smart enough to get out and make a profit in the process), it's very likely the league would have survived to today. They over-estimated the desire for their product, they under-estimated the expectations of their market, they over-spent on talent in an effort to try and acquire "future NFL" level players, then they under-spent on the underpinning talent necessary to make them look good. In short, every time the owners of the USFL could've chosen a fork in the road - one direction toward salvation, the other toward ruin - they took the road to ruin. Every. Single. Time.

Which goes to my earlier post about not sticking to their business plan. The USFL was the last true challenge to the NFL and had a lot going right for it. A little more patience on the part of the ownership and I agree they would have been around today (that is, of course, unless they would have forced a merger with the NFL).

Yeah, at first I didn't think much of the XFL but after a couple games I got into it. Eh I even went out and bought a bunch of the XFL trading cards. lol Still have a few autographed and jersey cards.

This is kinda OT to the post at hand, but someone mentioned how the nicknames of the teams were weird and the logos were whacked. But it's funny, I thought the Las Vegas Outlaws had some of the classiest uniforms of any team in any football league ever. Really was strange to see a team with such nice and classy looking uniforms in a league like the XFL, haha.

I know from talking to one of the previous owners in the USFL, most of the ownership was against the move that would have put the league directly in competition with the NFL. But because Trump was the anchor owner they felt they had to go head to head. Also, if the courts would have awarded more then a $1.00 this would have helped the league survive--.

Absolutely true - had the anti-trust jury not misinterpreted the judge's instructions in the case, odds are the USFL would've been awarded a pretty substantial judgment that would've kept them alive (and maybe even potentially crippled the NFL financially).

Speaking of owners, Hobo, believe it or not this evening I got an e-mail from one of them (not the one we've discussed previously), claiming errors in USFL.info and offering to provide me with correct, inside information. One of the best belated Christmas presents I've ever received. :)

Speaking of owners, Hobo, believe it or not this evening I got an e-mail from one of them (not the one we've discussed previously), claiming errors in USFL.info and offering to provide me with correct, inside information. One of the best belated Christmas presents I've ever received. :)

Good to hear...

Absolutely true - had the anti-trust jury not misinterpreted the judge's instructions in the case, odds are the USFL would've been awarded a pretty substantial judgment that would've kept them alive (and maybe even potentially crippled the NFL financially).

I can't stop thinking about how different the North American sports landscape would be if that would have happened. Ift he USFL had been successful in its lawsuit, it no doubt would've encouraged the formation of upstart leagues in every other sport. Then maybe, just maybe, the so-called Big Four leagues would actually have to (gasp!) give a :censored: about what their fans think of them in order to stay alive because there would be actual alternatives.

My thoughts exactly. I remember hearing that the period between 1983-85 in the NFL was really good, mainly because they now had a major opponent fighting against them. I hate how now there are no upstart leagues to watch, as the period between the 70's and 80's had quite a few (The WHA in Hockey, ABA in Basketball, and USFL and WFL in football).

I think the quality of play had a lot to do with the demises of the X, US, and W FLs, as well as the WLAF. I watched a few XFL games and it was like watching me and some of my friends playing against you and some of your friends. It was pretty crappy football, let alone entertainment.

As a boy, I remember watching old AFL games on TV. They were kinda rough, but there were some guys that could make things happen...Namath, Blanda, Hadl, Rentzel, Dawson, Buchanan, Kemp, even old "Wahoo" MacDaniel could turn in some excitement.

I think the USFL had some talent, but unfortunately it never got a chance to really show it.

Lack of talent = poor entertainment = no fans = no money = no league.

The only thing I remember from the XFL was in the inaugural game, the camera kept showing close-ups of the cheerleader's butts. I didn't watch another game.

And I'm pretty sure that's a microcosm of the XFL itself.