MLS Rebrand: New York

heernumurr

I just plain don't like the whole "Red Bull takes over sports" idea. Somewhere as important as New York should have something better. I went back to the old MetroStars colours, although i wasn't too keen on that name either. So here they are, New York City Football Club. Yes, NYCFC... But that unfortunate acronym aside, i thought it would be good to try and give them a traditional badge in a modern style, like the kind way Arsenal has gone with theirs. So i went for something simple with the city seal.

With the shirts, I stayed with red bull as a sponsor to try and show that you can have the logo on the shirt without destroying a whole team's identity. Well, tell me if i succeeded and anything else, lots of C&C please!

::::UPDATE::::

New yellow third shirt added

nycsheet2.png

Man that looks sweeeet. I've always thought the least RB could have done was keep the metroish unis and this just reenforces that idea. Crest is beautiful. Unis are nice but I'd like to see an away kit other than white b/c its just too prevalent throughout the league.

Still, it looks good. Real good.

Love the idea of ditching the "Red Bull NY" name, and I'm liking the crest, but I would lose the first 'C' from NYCFC. NYFC, or even better, FCNY, like the fire department, only soccer. Actually, that may be an idea for a crest... take the FDNY's patch thing and it's style, and put a soccer ball on it or something to make it unique. I don't remember exactly what it looks like, but I know they have one. Anyway I do like the kits, just tweak the name and it's perfect!

Love the idea of ditching the "Red Bull NY" name, and I'm liking the crest, but I would lose the first 'C' from NYCFC. NYFC, or even better, FCNY, like the fire department, only soccer. Actually, that may be an idea for a crest... take the FDNY's patch thing and it's style, and put a soccer ball on it or something to make it unique. I don't remember exactly what it looks like, but I know they have one. Anyway I do like the kits, just tweak the name and it's perfect!

i'd never even thought of the fire department thing. its a really good idea, but im not such a fan of english speaking teams putting the "fc" at the start. plus chicago really has got the monopoly on fire department imagery in the mls.

went for the New York City Football Club idea cuz i think it goes well with the traditions of football (especially all the "Cities" in english football), and even though its a bit of a mouthful, i think it would catch on with the fans in much the same way as TFC has in toronto.

I think the red numbers might be a little hard to see on the black shirts, but other than that, don't change a thing.

And yea, NYCFC is a mouthful, but if we're gonna go with europoser names, New York City fits right in with Manchester City, Birmingham City, etc.

I like this alot.

I defiantly liked the old Metro stars uniforms better, and your right to go with NYCFC, like illwauk said, it fits right in with clubs like Mancester City...ect.

I will say this in regard to red bull though. At least the name is a little different with the European flavor to it still, seems like every club is ___________(insert city name) FC. Kinda boreing.

I would like to see something along the lines of GTA United (greater Toronto area) or New England united, you know....some variety...but that's me starting to trail off the point now.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

i'd never even thought of the fire department thing. its a really good idea, but im not such a fan of english speaking teams putting the "fc" at the start. plus chicago really has got the monopoly on fire department imagery in the mls.

Oh yeah I forgot about Chicago...

I will say this in regard to red bull though. At least the name is a little different with the European flavor to it still, seems like every club is ___________(insert city name) FC. Kinda boreing.

I would like to see something along the lines of GTA United (greater Toronto area) or New England united, you know....some variety...but that's me starting to trail off the point now.

i agree that some variety is good, and i love the tradition of nicknames in american sports, but if the MLS is to keep going down the more traditional football route (which i think it should) it has to adhere to those traditions. "United" has almost exclusively been used when one or more clubs have merged, hence the name. "Athletic" was usually used when a club played other sports (mostly cricket), and so on. So i think its good for MLS teams to go along these lines, but with reason and not just for the sake of it.

I've always liked the name New York Empire or something. Kinda sounds european-ish.

Anyway, I love that you went back to the Metrostars look. I don't really like NYCFC, but it does fit in with Manchester City and all that. I'm on the fence about the name.

I also agree that the white away is a tad boring, and there are too many of them in MLS. Go with yellow maybe?

I love the concept and totally agree that Red Bull should be the SPONSOR and not the team's IDENTITY. Two completely different things there. Great job!

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

totally agreed with everyone about the white away shirt, so i added some variety with the yellow third shirt. kept it quite simple, but changed the sponsor to a wordmark for extra visability on the road. still like the white one though, so i left it in and you can decide which one works best as the primary away shirt.

C&C on the new shirt please!

I like the yellow with the red. Reminds me of the old Liverpool aways. I personally like the yellow one since it seems more unique. Plus I'm not sure there's been a yellow and red shirt in the MLS before. Could be wrong though. Nice update.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

• 3 months later...

i like ditching the name red bulls, but i still like that logo. The first jersey is suprisingly good, i someone were to say, I put the red bull logo on a black and red striped jersey, i would puke, but somehow you pulled it off.

I'm personally a fan of the current Red Bull red, white, and blue but I still like these a lot. One thing I will never understand is why people, not specifically you, give teams the "football club" tag when they play in the MLS- Major League soccer. I say we change the name to "MLF" and the National Football League to the "NAFL". :D

The use of the city seal on the badge would never fly in the modern era of sports marketing. At least not in this form. First, because amongst American municipalities, New York City is known to be extremely proactive in protecting the marketability of anything to do with its "brand". There is every reason to believe that the city would want to negotiate a cut of merchandising if its official seal was going to be used on a Major League Soccer franchise's badge. Second, because the seal - as it appears in your design - would not be easy to legibly produce at smaller sizes, particularly in embroidered applications.

• 4 weeks later...

While I doubt that Red Bull would change the colors, since they match the color scheme of the can, I really like the yellow kit with the logos watermarked behind the name. Great concept.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Archived