Business card design

mcrosby

way back when i made a request for someone to help me come up with an idea for my dad's tile company

well i've progressed and i made my own, this is after about a night of work and i've come up with a few options, if anyone has any opinions please voice them

and please dont destroy me for using copperplate, my dad chose the font, won't budge from it, i've tried many, so unless you've got one he likes, it's whats going to happen

mctilexp7.jpg

Definitely lighten up the tile background. There's not enough contrast between the text and the tiles. If you convert it to grayscale you will definitely see how the lack of contrast hurts legibility.

Add spaces around the bullet between Granite and Marble. Better yet, change the bullet (and period after LLC) to a diamond shape. It's a subtle change that ties everything in together even more.

Remove the parentheses around the area code. Everyone knows it's the area code before the phone number. Just use dashes or periods.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

he's the only one with the cards, i was wondering if the white space in the corners of the card was too much, any ideas?

and

here's the updated version

asdfxw6.jpg

1. I'd reduce the opacity of the background image even more. It's competing too much with the other stuff.

2. Look into losing the pattern tiles and replace with a solid color. It may be difficult for others to tell that it's a pattern. Try printing the card at 100% to be sure.

3. Check your spacing. You have a lot of space on the left side of the card, and not as much on the right (maybe reducing the size of your tile image will help).

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

those look cool gordie, i showed my dad, he still likes mine, but i think he's just partial to his son.

i wasnt really looking for someone to design somethign for me, just suggestions, but thanks a bunch, i really like the direction you went with all of the designs, especially the last one

anyways...any more suggestions, comments, criticism, good jokes, whatever

The lack of contrast is a problem. The colors look washed out and the text is too crowded. You should try and talk your dad into 2-sided cards. Full color logo only on one side, tiles-only watermark background with the contact info over the logo on the other. Do that so you can layout the contact info better.

Just my 2¢

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

The lack of contrast is a problem. The colors look washed out and the text is too crowded. You should try and talk your dad into 2-sided cards.

I don't know if this is true for all of them, but if you've ever used a business card scanner, two-sided cards are a pain in the ass. They might look prettier, but if all someone is doing is scanning them into Outlook, they either will grumble that they have to manually enter your information, or grumble that they're wasting their time and throw the card in the trash.

Just something to keep in mind.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Speaking of printing, I recently used overnightprints.com. The results were surprisingly good and I think they're inexpensive ($30/250 and you can find free shipping coupons). Might be a good option for these.

jeffsig.gif

glgsig.gif

thanks everyone, we've got someone to print for us, so thats not a problem, but my dad wants to stick to one side, he uses the backs of cards a lot of the time to write on before he gives them to people (cell phone, prices, times, directions to tile places) all that stuff, he likes doing that, keeps things personal i guess

Archived