ny football giants in white at home

nybatt

interesting observation about the football giants this morning. it is the usual custom for the giants offense to wear corresponding jersey colors at practice that they will wear that weekend.

I just saw highlights of the giant offense in white practice jerseys at wednesday's workout. I have not read/heard of the jints (rhymes with pints) wearing their road whites on saturday, BUT they are 6-0 in them this season AND will be wearing them for the playoffs at tampa next weekend.

it would be great to see the giants in white at home, the first time since sep. 2000 when they wore white against the cards due to temps. in the upper 80's.

Moreover, why would they do that? It's not as if there's a Cowboys-like curse on any particular Pats uniform.

I guess if they'd do anything, they might wear the red alts ... which is quite logical for a team nicknamed "Big Blue" ...

If the white jerseys happen Saturday, it's probably for reasons of superstition. The Giants are 7-1 on the road (white jerseys mainly), 3-4 at home (non-white jerseys exclusively). The one road loss was at Dallas in Week 1 and the Giants were wearing blue. So they're unbeaten in white this season.

The Saints did something similar in 2000. They were 7-1 on the road, 3-5 at home. They wore black at home all season and lost the regular-season finale at home against the Rams wearing black. The next week in the wild-card round against the Rams in N.O., the Saints wore white and won the first playoff game in franchise history. The next season, the Saints wore white jerseys at home for the first six home games of the year. Not sure why, but they switched back to black at home for final two games of the '01 season.

And just two years ago, the Steelers (who normally wear black at home) chose white in the Super Bowl as the home team because they had won their three playoff games wearing white jerseys.

Wouldn't they have had to have set up their jersey arrangements before the season?

My understanding is that NFL teams have up to 24 hours to notify the NFL of any uni changes prior to the game. Which kind of makes the whole process of setting up a uniform schedule prior to the season a little stupid, doesn't it?

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Wouldn't they have had to have set up their jersey arrangements before the season?

My understanding is that NFL teams have up to 24 hours to notify the NFL of any uni changes prior to the game. Which kind of makes the whole process of setting up a uniform schedule prior to the season a little stupid, doesn't it?

That might be a new rule. But last year, the Saints originally told their opponents they would wear white at home. However, the players wanted to wear black, so the Saints had to get permission from the opponents to change. After the first two home games, the Saints went back to black, except for the Cincinnati game in November because the Bengals would not agree to the switch.

That might be a new rule. But last year, the Saints originally told their opponents they would wear white at home. However, the players wanted to wear black, so the Saints had to get permission from the opponents to change. After the first two home games, the Saints went back to black, except for the Cincinnati game in November because the Bengals would not agree to the switch.

Where did you hear this? This is the first I've heard of an 'away' team having any say-so in what uniform they want to wear, since the home team gets to choose. The only game I can think of was that Chargers-Broncos uniform snafu in 2003, when it was the league that forced the Broncos to wear white at home, I think.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

it would be great to see the giants in white at home, the first time since sep. 2000 when they wore white against the cards due to temps. in the upper 80's.

Although it technically was a road game, the Giants wore white against the Saints in September 2005 after Katrina when the Saints payed their first 'home' game at Giants Stadium.

Where did you hear this? This is the first I've heard of an 'away' team having any say-so in what uniform they want to wear, since the home team gets to choose. The only game I can think of was that Chargers-Broncos uniform snafu in 2003, when it was the league that forced the Broncos to wear white at home, I think.

There was a story in the (New Orleans) Times-Picayune on it at the time. The reason the opponents got a say-so was because the Saints decided to change colors after making their initial declaration. The graph below is from Wikipedia. Now Wikipedia is wrong on some things, but I'm using the reference here because I saw it in the New Orleans paper last season.

"The Saints originally planned to wear white jerseys at home for the 2006 season, but during the season, the players voted to wear the black jerseys at home. Since the team had informed the NFL office that they planned to wear white jerseys at home, each of the Saints' remaining home opponents would have to agree to New Orleans' request. The Cincinnati Bengals did not agree to the switch, leaving the Saints to wear white for that game."

There was a story in the (New Orleans) Times-Picayune on it at the time. The reason the opponents got a say-so was because the Saints decided to change colors after making their initial declaration. The graph below is from Wikipedia. Now Wikipedia is wrong on some things, but I'm using the reference here because I saw it in the New Orleans paper last season.

"The Saints originally planned to wear white jerseys at home for the 2006 season, but during the season, the players voted to wear the black jerseys at home. Since the team had informed the NFL office that they planned to wear white jerseys at home, each of the Saints' remaining home opponents would have to agree to New Orleans' request. The Cincinnati Bengals did not agree to the switch, leaving the Saints to wear white for that game."

So I guees we can assume, that New England agreed to the switch so the Giants can wear white at home.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Giants wear white at home. It's kind of a nice change of pace (and it's probably going to feel like a road game with all the Patriots fans there anyway). We've won the last 2 times white was worn at Giants Stadium (September 2000 against Arizona and September 2005 against New Orleans), and we're 7-1 on the road. Carolina did something like that in 2003 against Dallas in the Playoffs too I think.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Giants wear white at home. It's kind of a nice change of pace (and it's probably going to feel like a road game with all the Patriots fans there anyway).
The Patriots might as well agree to the jersey switch, to the home blues. The way those tickets are selling on eBay, it's going to be an unofficial Patriots home game on Saturday night....
There prob gonna put on the whites because all the giant fans sold there tickets to pat fans so its gonna seem like a away game anyway.

CCSLC must be on repeat...

Ya know, I heard a lot of Giants fans are selling their tix to Pats fans, so it'll probably feel like a Patriots home game anyway....

Seriously though. The Pats have worn the blue 10 times this season, and scored 31 or more points in all but 2 of those (20, 28). They've also won those 10 games by an average of 20.7 points.

as a giant season tickey holder I WILL be at the stadium (in my road jersey, by the way!)

it is a little disturbing that many tickets have been sold/scalped, but who am I to tell anyone what type of fan they should be.

regardless, I'm still hoping to see "my" squad in their road whites!!

Archived