2007 Logo Trends

Webhamster

none of these logos seem particularly of the design zeitgeist from where i work?

there does seem to be a discrepancy between eurpean and american design

with regards to identity. from my experience working within both markets,

european (and in my particular experience, the uk companies) seem a little faster on the uptake

when it comes to wider stylistic changes. the 1970s orthodoxy seems to have been

shaken off by many of the large public sector institutions and well known corps. (ie british telecom, railtrack,

oil companies most of the banks etc) in favour of the softer 'cuddly' logos in the artical posted.

at the same time in the usa, the established brands seem more protective of recognisable

marks. as someone from neither europe or america im not trying to say us design is behind

the curve, but that european companies seem more open to brand changes of this manner.

although a bit of an anomoly, i suppose the london 2012 logo might be an example of a

corporate mark of great significance that is truely off the wall. whatever you think of it.

having said that i would still be surprised if anybody from the states finds any of these

logos particularly groundbreaking? nes pas?

anybody who is into this sort of stuff could do worse than check out the los/dos and tres logos

series. there are some awesome ideas in those things.

I do agree with you, fraser, that European companies are more open to branding that is a little less than conventional, and that European firms are pushing the envelope a bit. But that's been a trend between Europe and the US in more than just branding, it's with everything. Americans are a very conservative breed - we like things we recognize, and we're fiercely loyal when it comes to the brands we buy. So no, none of the brands are exactly bursting with amazingness, but i think they're just trying to find solid examples of the design trends going on this year.

I've found this site to be a good review of new brands, both in the US and abroad: http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/

OD_Signature.jpg

I don't know, but it seems that if the subject matter and execution of these logos create 23 different, identifiable 'trends' that there really is very little 'trendiness'. It simply means that you're able find a handful of logos that are similar to one another in some way.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I don't know, but it seems that if the subject matter and execution of these logos create 23 different, identifiable 'trends' that there really is very little 'trendiness'. It simply means that you're able find a handful of logos that are similar to one another in some way.

i think the overall adjustment has been the movement away from the strong 1970s bold minimal corporate styles. these i always

associate with airlines:eg. lufthansa, british airways, air france, klm and i guess panam, and aa. primary, bold colours and slick

logos.

variations of this bold style hung around untill the beginning of the decade really.

over this way it was companies like phone network 3 and bp who were the first big guys

to introduce the soft and cuddly/ organic 'greener' logos more prevelant today.

here is a funny example of what im talking about (gone awry)

abbey is a big bank/ building society over here in the uk. for years they had a conservative

building society-ish sort of logo. then a couple of years back they obviously decided it wasnt

cuddly enough and brought out the second down. within a year, they realised theyd overshot the mark

and now we have something between.

i guess this highlights the idea that there isnt the same attachment to the old brand over here

to the extent that companies are happy to do something as crazy as this.

AbbeyOld_New1.jpg[

i think the overall adjustment has been the movement away from the strong 1970s bold minimal corporate styles. these i always

associate with airlines:eg. lufthansa, british airways, air france, klm and i guess panam, and aa. primary, bold colours and slick

logos.

variations of this bold style hung around untill the beginning of the decade really.

over this way it was companies like phone network 3 and bp who were the first big guys

to introduce the soft and cuddly/ organic 'greener' logos more prevelant today.

here is a funny example of what im talking about (gone awry)

abbey is a big bank/ building society over here in the uk. for years they had a conservative

building society-ish sort of logo. then a couple of years back they obviously decided it wasnt

cuddly enough and brought out the second down. within a year, they realised the yd overshot the mark

and now we have something between.

i guess this highlights the idea that there isnt the same attachment to the old brand over here

to the extent that companies are happy to do something as crazy as this.

AbbeyOld_New1.jpg[

Abbey changed to the bottom logo as they were taken over by Santader. Though it was needed as the multi colours idea was shocking. Santander have very stricy guidelines on how to brand, i have recently done some work with a company doing there "Branding Bible" and it is over 80 pages and contains everything on how logos should be placed on ads (printed, TV, Digital), sizing of the logo, fonts for letters, layouts and everything that you could possibly think off to make sure the abbey branding is the same as the Santander worldwide branding.

Also on other redesigns, my UK best and worst is@

Worst JJB: New jjb_logo.jpg Old logo%20JJB.jpg

I know the old one wasn't the best but using that font is shocking.

Best: Morrisons, A clean update that brings in the green on Somerfield and creates teh Fresh look they were going for. Also looks a lot better on the shos to:

Old@ morrisons_logo.jpg New: logo_morrison_2007.gif

Also like the new KFC colonel, very nice update. and the new premier league logo and font pack

logo.png

Archived