Tom Brady's jersey

Chazberg

I realized a while ago (while playing Madden actually) that with the signing of Kyle Brady last summer, the Patriots now have two Bradys on the roster, and so Tom's jersey really should read "T. BRADY". It does in Madden but doesn't in reality, and both his and Kyle's just say "BRADY". I'm assuming this is just because of Tom's iconic status, and because the addition of the T to such a recognizable and popular jersey would be too jarring. It reminds me of the preseason a few years ago when Brian Urlacher's little bro Casey tried out for the Bears at fullback, so #54's jersey said "B. URLACHER" for the preseason. It looked really weird.

Anyway can anyone confirm this/think of another case of multiple players with the same name not having a first initial?

*I also will be a little happy if someone brings up Andra and Andre Davis :D

As has been covered here before, the NFL does not require a first initial. In fact, before last season, they clarified their rules to encourage no initials and to outright ban more than one letter, after the Full-Name-on-Back incidents of a few years ago.

Back when A-Rod and Pudge both played for the Texas Rangers they both only had "Rodriguez" on their backs. The reason for no initial was because fans were smart enough to know which one was which.

Apparently Jays fans couldn't tell the difference between David and Vernon Wells in 1999...

712e_1.JPG

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Back when A-Rod and Pudge both played for the Texas Rangers they both only had "Rodriguez" on their backs. The reason for no initial was because fans were smart enough to know which one was which.

Apparently Jays fans couldn't tell the difference between David and Vernon Wells in 1999...

712e_1.JPG

It's really odd to see that on a baseball jersey...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

As has been covered here before, the NFL does not require a first initial. In fact, before last season, they clarified their rules to encourage no initials and to outright ban more than one letter, after the Full-Name-on-Back incidents of a few years ago.

Are you sure it was before the 06 season? Tank Johnson still had "Tank Johnson" on the back of his Bears jersey last year.

As for the topic, during Bryant Young's first few seasons, he was "the other Young". He had B. Young on his jersey, while Steve only had Young. That was for the 95 season. I don't know for sure, but I think I remember a year where they both had only the last name on the jerseys.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

When Ritchie Regher played for the Flames, his brother, Robyn, didn't have an initial.

I am trying to remember if Richie did...for some reason I remember Ri. Regher on the nameplate.

Same thing with the Niedermayers. In fact I hardly ever see the initials in hockey or baseball or basketball, it's pretty much limited to football, which I guess is what I was trying to keep the focus on.

I agree that it's a pretty pointless practice, when you have guys with different numbers, and usually different physiques/races/positions etc., nobody's gonna get them confused. I think they should try to limit the initial to cases where both players play the same phase-offense/defense/special teams, or even just the same position. Also, like others have said they need to keep it two one initial, the whole name thing or even the partial name thing like the Ravens used to have ("JA. LEWIS", "JE. LEWIS") looks absurd and unprofessional. When Todd and Tank Johnson played for the Bears they used the whole names. Who's gonna confuse a skinny white safety with a huge black D-lineman??

I actually raised this same issue a couple of months ago because of several Saints players: Fred Thomas used to have "F. Thomas" but now I think he just has "Thomas," Pierre Thomas has only ever had "Thomas" while Hollis Thomas has "H. Thomas." I was educated as to the rule allowing teams to "initialize" or not depending on preference.

And as a poster pointed out then, before they wore names on jerseys, the whole team could have been named Johnson and it wouldn't have mattered. That's why they wear NUMBERS.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Also, like others have said they need to keep it two one initial, the whole name thing or even the partial name thing like the Ravens used to have ("JA. LEWIS", "JE. LEWIS") looks absurd and unprofessional. When Todd and Tank Johnson played for the Bears they used the whole names. Who's gonna confuse a skinny white safety with a huge black D-lineman??

It IS absurd! That's why it's so great. It says "TANK JOHNSON" on it. (Or did.) Was he ahead of BEEF ROCKMORE on the depth chart?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived