Vancouver Canucks Jersey front

AndrewPF

Hey guys, i made a Vancouver Canucks concept that, in reality is not done yet. I got as far as a rough sketch of the front of the jersey when i reallized that i should check with some of you design gurus to make sure it's ok at this point.

I used Speedy's vector template with Inkscape to make it. Thanks to Gingerbreadmann for the Inkscape tutorial, I really appreciate it. I recolored the logo in paint.net. The logo itself is from CC's page, of course.

All there is is the front of a jersey, with a logo and no numbers. Like I said, it's not done yet.

Basically, what i did was, I used the color scheme from 1980/81 - 1996/97 with the Stick and Rink logo. I didn't know how it would go over, so i decided to stop where I was and see if the idea would go over well.

Keep in mind, it's not 100% done yet. Not even 50% Without further talking, here it is. Opinions on the idea are encouraged. C&C appreciated.

image2226.png

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

To answer the question posed in your headline (does it have potential)...yes. Is it evident in this state?, no. It's too rough to even say what you're trying to go for with this design. I like the attempt at the recolored stick and rink logo. The jersey is too plain, too much black. Overall it's sloppy and unfinished. I hate to keep bringing up patsox as an example, but posting unfinished, half a**ed concepts is what got everyone on his case. Clean it up, finish it up, then look for some comments. Decent start though.

To answer the question posed in your headline (does it have potential)...yes. Is it evident in this state?, no. It's too rough to even say what you're trying to go for with this design. I like the attempt at the recolored stick and rink logo. The jersey is too plain, too much black. Overall it's sloppy and unfinished. I hate to keep bringing up patsox as an example, but posting unfinished, half a**ed concepts is what got everyone on his case. Clean it up, finish it up, then look for some comments. Decent start though.

Thank you. Thank you. You're a good man. That's exactly what i was looking for. I was just seeing what people thought of the idea. I didn't know if toying with the sacred Stick and Rink was taboo.

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Even if it is-- Who cares?! Post it anyway. Sports are entertainment. Granted, it's extremely glorified entertainment, but entertainment nonetheless. Anyone who gets offended by a logo tweak(especially a hypothetical one) should have the ability to communicate erased from their brain.

Sigs are for sissies.

Thank you. Thank you. You're a good man. That's exactly what i was looking for. I was just seeing what people thought of the idea. I didn't know if toying with the sacred Stick and Rink was taboo.

any logo or uniform can be toyed with. Might get flamed but thats the nature of the business.

heres what i see wrong:

A) Stick and Rink does not look right in skate logo colors. when i see stick/rink i immediately think Green/Blue.

B) kill the side panels and the yellow splotches above them. they are two elements that are eyesores on the current rbk designs for some teams. there again 60% of the league have eyesores for uniforms. :mad:

C)V on the arms, I see wanting incorporate the V on the arms but it seems a bit cliche since alot of concepts use the arm v's to begin with.

in other words hit the reset button and try again. :D

I would go with first green and blue and try a more traditional design for that particular logo. modern elements is going to clash with that logo. now if you want to go modern jersey elements like side panels, striping, etc then use the orca logo and go with the previous orca colors.. One of my main gripes with the current design is they used green and blue with the orca. If they were changing colors then the orca needs to go because it is out of place on their faux-throwbackeque design. Which kinda look like a bad college jersey.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

any logo or uniform can be toyed with. Might get flamed but thats the nature of the business.

heres what i see wrong:

A) Stick and Rink does not look right in skate logo colors. when i see stick/rink i immediately think Green/Blue.

B) kill the side panels and the yellow splotches above them. they are two elements that are eyesores on the current rbk designs for some teams. there again 60% of the league have eyesores for uniforms. :mad:

C)V on the arms, I see wanting incorporate the V on the arms but it seems a bit cliche since alot of concepts use the arm v's to begin with.

in other words hit the reset button and try again. :D

I would go with first green and blue and try a more traditional design for that particular logo. modern elements is going to clash with that logo. now if you want to go modern jersey elements like side panels, striping, etc then use the orca logo and go with the previous orca colors.. One of my main gripes with the current design is they used green and blue with the orca. If they were changing colors then the orca needs to go because it is out of place on their faux-throwbackeque design. Which kinda look like a bad college jersey.

Thanks a lot. Good critique, really gave some good guidance. The "V"s were actually an attempt at sticks, a la the stick and rink.

koizim said:

COYS and Go Sox

As I understand it, the Canucks use Green Blue and White because these are the colours of the city.

As the flag of the city shows.

cityflagcol.gif

So I don't see how they would go back to Black, Red & Yellow.

However, I quite like where you're going with those colours, as I always did like the old look.

Here's a take on it, based on Ottawa's template, using Illustrator.

bf-Canucks.gif

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Thanks for the props about the tutorial man! I think it has potential. IMO, a little too black but some more yellow on the sleeves would liven it up. I like it. Don't even worry about the logo, it looks fine as it is. It just needs an accompanying uni.

Cut him some slack. He asked my how to do things using Inkscape, so I, being a novice too, did my best to give him a tutorial on how I did my browns redo a week or two ago. It's his first concept, and I'm not the greatest teacher, so we're both learning as we go. Especially since it's a first concept. I agree somewhat about half-assed concepts, but this is NOT half-assed and just lighten up a bit. I'm not mad, just explaining the situation.

Good start, though! Just keep rolling with it.

I have to agree with some people here, the colours kind of kill it. I think the blue/green is so much more synonymous with Vancouver now that the red, yellow, and black just don't work anymore. When they originally changed the colours it was to reflect the sort of 'on fire' brand of hockey the Canucks were trying to introduce. It wasn't until Bure's arrival that it really showed. Blue/green is just too west coast to change.

I think the design itself is good so far, you have something here, but the colours I can't get around.

duck_sig.jpg

think its a bit rough but generally quite cool. im not one for that much tradition, so i dont mind the colour change, and i actually think it works really well as a jersey. one thing: the balance of yellow and red isnt right for me, change that about a bit (more red i think) and i think youll have a very decent concept!

Archived