Penguins want third jersey.

risio

"The Penguins are expected to make a formal request with the league to wear a third jersey next season. Team officials are so pleased with the look of the retro-themed uniforms the club will wear in the AMP Energy NHL Winter Classic on New Year's Day that the Penguins will seek permission to make that design their alternate look"

Trib article

At the very end of the page.

Great news! Didn't the Penguins make an attempt to use these jerseys as thirds a few years back?

In other words the Penguins are very pleased with the idea of not having to wear the crap Rbk Edge jerseys they have been forced to wear and will seek out any means necessary to avoid them next season.

It's still going to be an edge jersey...

The NHL should go back to allowing the clubs to have an alternate jersey.

I don't know why, but I just think it's a better look for the teams and the league.

Under the current agreement, I think it's up to reebok, since they became the company responsible for all NHL uniforms. You never know, teams have convinced Reebok to get them some looser jerseys, maybe they can get some alts in bfore the 3 year period expires

The rules may have been amended since last I heard, but I think that an official 3rd jersey(the heritage uniforms didn't count as official 3rds as far as I know) for the NHL has to use the primary color scheme, or at least be close(like the Sabres using royal blue alts last year while the other jerseys and logos used navy). Granted, there have been things like the red in the Mooterus jersey, or the silver in the McFarlance Oiler alt and Philly alt, but the main body color was still a part of the pre-existing scheme. But the pens using a double blue jersey while the home and roads both only use black and gold is another story. It seems like there was a lot of gray area surrounding this rule, but there is a definite distinction between the examples I have given of past alternates and this proposal . Does anybody know if this has changed or if I was misinformed from the get-go?

I don't know why, but I just think it's a better look for the teams and the league.

Under the current agreement, I think it's up to reebok, since they became the company responsible for all NHL uniforms. You never know, teams have convinced Reebok to get them some looser jerseys, maybe they can get some alts in bfore the 3 year period expires

I thought the main reason was to milk the fans to buy the new jerseys now and introduce thirds later to milk them even more? Hell, eveyone already knows I will be buying a pro Leafs alt the second it is released... cough...

As a Pens fan, I HATE THIS!!! I knew they would pull this stunt after they got it set up for the winter classic. There is not one ounce of blue in their current set and hasn't been for 28 years now. Bring back yellow and have a set similar to '84 with a white, black, and yellow alt.

In other words the Penguins are very pleased with the idea of not having to wear the crap Rbk Edge jerseys the have been forced to wear and will seek out any means necessary to avoid them next season.

Yes, but it will be the new and improved Edge 2 jersey...

I'm actually curious to see if the ones they wear on January 1st are actually cut in the exact same way as the "traditional" Edge jerseys. The ones they are selling on NHL.com obviously aren't, they look like the old templates. However, they are also replicas. Which would mean they are selling one style and playing in another if that is the case.

In other words the Penguins are very pleased with the idea of not having to wear the crap Rbk Edge jerseys the have been forced to wear and will seek out any means necessary to avoid them next season.

Yes, but it will be the new and improved Edge 2 jersey...

I'm actually curious to see if the ones they wear on January 1st are actually cut in the exact same way as the "traditional" Edge jerseys. The ones they are selling on NHL.com obviously aren't, they look like the old templates. However, they are also replicas. Which would mean they are selling one style and playing in another if that is the case.

They sold the old classics online, but they'll be wearing edge jerseys tomorrow night.

They probably will go back to alternate jerseys soon...but think of it this way...The average person typically buys one jersey at a time. Right now they have two to chose from, a home and an away. In the future, once everybody has bought a jersey, they'll release the alts and people will have the money ready to jump on it and buy them. Its all about money.

As a Pens fan, I HATE THIS!!! I knew they would pull this stunt after they got it set up for the winter classic. There is not one ounce of blue in their current set and hasn't been for 23 years now. Bring back yellow and have a set similar to '84 with a white, black, and yellow alt.

count me as another Pens fan who thinks this is retarded. goddammit.

As a Pens fan, I HATE THIS!!! I knew they would pull this stunt after they got it set up for the winter classic. There is not one ounce of blue in their current set and hasn't been for 23 years now. Bring back yellow and have a set similar to '84 with a white, black, and yellow alt.

count me as another Pens fan who thinks this is retarded. goddammit.

Count me as a Pens fan who thinks you are an idiot for using the term retarded... goddammit...

as for jersey... i like it, always have when the penguins were researching its use during the NHL heritage run and then decided against it because of the extra costs that goes with different colour helmets, pant shells, socks, etc... i flipped when i found the jersey and bought it... the pens came into the league as the double blue whats wrong with them embracing that... why cant a team return to its roots, the jays are doing it, the riders did it, hell the winnipeg blue bombers have those make your eyes bleed gold monstrocities... and im not big on the entire throwback craze

just a quick note on the throwback thing too... my brother is in a sports marketing class and they had a special guest mark cohon commish of the cfl he let it slip that every team in the league next year will have a throwback alternate... to follow the riders and bombers example...

The rules may have been amended since last I heard, but I think that an official 3rd jersey(the heritage uniforms didn't count as official 3rds as far as I know) for the NHL has to use the primary color scheme, or at least be close(like the Sabres using royal blue alts last year while the other jerseys and logos used navy). Granted, there have been things like the red in the Mooterus jersey, or the silver in the McFarlance Oiler alt and Philly alt, but the main body color was still a part of the pre-existing scheme. But the pens using a double blue jersey while the home and roads both only use black and gold is another story. It seems like there was a lot of gray area surrounding this rule, but there is a definite distinction between the examples I have given of past alternates and this proposal . Does anybody know if this has changed or if I was misinformed from the get-go?

I can't speak to the NHL rules, but that sounds a lot like what the NFL does.

Third jerseys need to incorporate the team's current color scheme unless they are part of a total throwback uniform.

So, in baseball terms (just to confuse the issue with another sport entirely), the Brewers' Friday throwback uniforms would be okay in the NFL, but the Royals' powder blue alts wouldn't.

Perhaps the NHL has a similar rule, which would let the Pens wear the powder blues as an alt, so long as they wore matching pants and socks.

As a Pens fan, I HATE THIS!!! I knew they would pull this stunt after they got it set up for the winter classic. There is not one ounce of blue in their current set and hasn't been for 28 years now. Bring back yellow and have a set similar to '84 with a white, black, and yellow alt.

As a throwback for say 4 or 5 games I have no problem with any of the old school blue uni's but I wouldn't want to see them as a third jersey they would wear a few times a month.

What I wish the Pens would do is use the template from the uniforms they wore yesterday and just replace the colors with Black and Gold(either version).

What they shouldve worn at the Classic and still be wearing now (at LEAST as an alt.):

NewBitmapImage-1.jpg

(going by how buffalo is wearing the same jerseys here as in the classic [even with different socks] it wouldve still been a very well-dressed game.)

Archived