Logos You Didn't Know They Had

fonz

I find the DC mark to be more relevant to this club than the W. I think the W should be the one put to pasture, in regards to the current incaranation of this club.

Naah, i'm the opposite. I find the "W" to be the better logo since it has the history behind it.

Here's the rub, though - the Walgreens' W has almost no history behind it....

Almost No History > No History

That being said, the curly W has been injected with a history it didn't earn because it was used throughout the hiatus between the Senators' departure and the Nationals' arrival. Even though it was only used by the Senators for about 8 years (IIRC), it is treated as if it was in use for about 40 years. That false history helps fuel the perception that it is an iconic symbol of Washington baseball.

As for "Washington" vs. "DC", in my experience, someone living in Bethesda, Silver Spring, etc. may say they live in Washington to an out-of-towner. However, I've never known anyone living outside the District to say they are from "DC" or "the District." Therefore, I think it is fair to say that, at least in theory, the W represents a broader geographic area than the DC (even if they actually represent the same place).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps, but not enough on its own to overcome a flawed design.

That is a completely different discussion.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

2325.gif

The Nationals are slowly putting the "DC" mark out to pasture, in favor of emphasizing the curly "W" instead. I would expect the alternate uniforms with the "DC" on them to go away in a season or two, as well...

pMLB2-1769367dt.jpg

i hope not cuz I LOVE the DC interlocking logo. It's cool.

You love being cryptic, huh? ^_^

I'll bite....Please explain.

What's so "flawed" about it?

I'll bite on this. What is so "flawed" about it is that it barely looks like a capital W. It looks more like a strange Z followed by a lopsided lowercase e. If you took the loop out of the middle, it wouldn't be so bad.

I'll bite on this. What is so "flawed" about it is that it barely looks like a capital W. It looks more like a strange Z followed by a lopsided lowercase e. If you took the loop out of the middle, it wouldn't be so bad.

Yeah, that's one major problem with it.

Here's another:

walgreens_logo_lg.jpg

:P

I don't agree.

If the best you can say about it is "it has a little history", and that history is mostly bad, and it's a mediocre design at best, then I think the original formula "Almost No History > No History" is false.

Sometimes it's better to start fresh. Unfortunate that Washington knew this in 1961 (when they gave us a bad new design) but not in 2005.

I don't agree.

If the best you can say about it is "it has a little history", and that history is mostly bad, and it's a mediocre design at best, then I think the original formula "Almost No History > No History" is false.

Sometimes it's better to start fresh. Unfortunate that Washington knew this in 1961 (when they gave us a bad new design) but not in 2005.

Fair enough. I certainly agree on the last point.

• 1 month later...
I find the DC mark to be more relevant to this club than the W. I think the W should be the one put to pasture, in regards to the current incaranation of this club.

Naah, i'm the opposite. I find the "W" to be the better logo since it has the history behind it.

That being said, the curly W has been injected with a history it didn't earn because it was used throughout the hiatus between the Senators' departure and the Nationals' arrival. Even though it was only used by the Senators for about 8 years (IIRC), it is treated as if it was in use for about 40 years. That false history helps fuel the perception that it is an iconic symbol of Washington baseball.

As for "Washington" vs. "DC", in my experience, someone living in Bethesda, Silver Spring, etc. may say they live in Washington to an out-of-towner. However, I've never known anyone living outside the District to say they are from "DC" or "the District." Therefore, I think it is fair to say that, at least in theory, the W represents a broader geographic area than the DC (even if they actually represent the same place).

I've lived in Bethesda my whole life, and I always say I'm from DC, without any hesitation.

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

I've lived in Bethesda my whole life, and I always say I'm from DC, without any hesitation.

Didn't you used to be some big Orioles fan?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Didn't you used to be some big Orioles fan?

I'm still a bit of an Orioles fan, but I find the Nationals to be far more organized and willing to win than the Orioles have been for the last 11 years. It's not so much the winning - it's the fact that I can enjoy watching a team without laughing about how pathetic they are.

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

To adults, I'm from Washington. To the kids/teens, I'm from D.C., and I still got my Nike Boots on.

(Now for the Faceoff round. Five points for either the song or artist; 15 for the combo.)

isn't that by some DC dude named Wale? could be spelled the regular Whale, i'm not sure, but i thought it was Wale. Read about it on some site a couple days ago actually, thats the only reason i know it, i'll forget it again in a couple days. i'm guessing the song is called nike boots, but i don't know for sure, though i could just look it up, but thats cheating. a clean 5 points is better than a dirty 15.

edit: think i read about him here- http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.6545...with-interscope

and clicked on some link to listen to his stuff.

Archived