2008 Sports Predicitions

Ez Street

I did this for my blog today. Sorry about the local sports crap you don't care about. I'm ready to hear how stupid my predicitions are.

Orange Bowl (1/3/2008): Kansas over Virginia Tech

Kansas wins, much to the displeasure of Mizzou fans who are stinging from their narrow loss to Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl. Mangino validates his numerous Coach of the Year awards and helps his team gain further exposure.

BCS Title Game (1/7/2008): LSU over Ohio State

YAWN, until College Football pulls their collective heads out......I will not care.

Super Bowl XLII (2/3/2008): Indianapolis over Dallas

The Colts repeat as Super Bowl champs, two weeks after they stun the world by knocking off the Patriots in the AFC title game. The Colts received no credit until they slayed the beast of New England, while gaining back all the bandwagoners of a year ago. Indianapolis has no problem disposing of a Dallas team that merely survived the lack-luster NFC playoffs.

Daytona 500 (2/17/2008): Jimmie Johnson

Two straight Nextel Cups, and there is no stopping Jimmie Johnson. He cruises to his 2nd career Daytona 500 victory, furthering his dominance in NASCAR. Johnson will be the Sprint Cup favorite all season long, even if he does have to drive that damn Car of Tomorrow.....which I guess now is Car of Present.

Final Four (4/5/08 - 4/7-08): Kansas, UCLA, Georgetown, USC

65 teams down to only four, and the two who will play for the Championship are Georgetown and UCLA. In the end Georgetown prevails, Roy Hibbert becomes a bigger name as he jockies for a better NBA draft position. Kansas falls to UCLA, again, this time in the semi-finals. At least "Aw Shucks" Roy isn't there.

Frozen Four (4/12/2008): Colorado College, Clarkson, Denver, Michigan

Michigan takes home the Frozen Four Championship after defeating Colorado College in the final.

The Masters (4/13/2008): Phil Mickelson

Lefty continues his every other year trend, winning his third Green Jacket.

NAHL Robertson Cup (May 2008): Topeka RoadRunners over Man. Valley Phantoms

The home town boys play up to their potential and get the invite to St. Louis for the Robertson Cup Championship. The RoadRunners knock off Mahoning Valley, who finishes second for the second year in a row. The St. Louis Bandits get the bronze medal by defeating North Iowa in the consolation game. Topeka brings the Cup back home and galvanizes the fan base.

Stanley Cup Finals (June 2008): Ottawa Senators over San Jose Sharks

After losing the Stanley Cup last season to Anaheim, the Ottawa Senators reclaim the Cup for Canada. San Jose's effort to keep the "Holy Grail" in California will be valiant, but in the end, Ottawa will prove to be too much. Daniel Alfredsson walks away with the Conn Smythe trophy after his stellar performance in the playoffs.

NBA Finals (June 2008): Phoenix Suns over Boston Celtics

The Suns were destined to win once they eliminated the San Antonio Spurs in the Western Conference finals. Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, and Kevin Garnett can't stop Steve Nash, Shawn Marion, and Amare Stoudemire. The Celtics are just the next Boston team to be over-hyped.

APFL Championship (July 2008): Kansas Koyotes over Conore Storm

It's the APFL, it wouldn't be a season if the Kansas Koyotes didn't end up with the Cup at the end of the year. Kansas puts away Conroe early and cruises to title number.....uh....6?

ArenaBowl XXII (7/28/2008): Chicago Rush over Dallas Desperados

Two of the best teams in Arena Football will face each other in the ArenaBowl. The Chicago Rush, who made plenty of key offseason moves, capture their second ArenaBowl.

Kansas City Royals (9/28/2008):

The Royals finish the season at 79-83, a ten game improvement from last season. Detroit cruises to a division title, while Cleveland challenges for the Wild Card.

World Series (10/22/08 - 10/30/08): Boston Red Sox over Arizona Diamondbacks

Yawn, another Red Sox World Series.......and I officially turn off ESPN for the last time. ESPN is in essence NESN, and the transition between Red Sox talk to Patriots talk is seamless.

Sprint Cup (November 2008): Tony Stewart

Tony Stewart regains the NASCAR Sprint Cup Championship, in a Toyota for that matter, defeating a closely contested Chase for the Cup. "Smoke" edges out Matt Kenseth & defending champion Jimmie Johnson for the Cup. Jeff Gordon, Clint Bowyer, Carl Edwards, Dale Earnhardt Jr, Kasey Kahne, Kevin Harvick, Greg Biffle, Martin Truex Jr, and Denny Hamlin round out the Chase.

MLS Cup (November 2008): New England Revolution over Chivas USA

Ok, so fans in Boston can finally celebrate a championship in 2008. So what if it only an MLS title, they should feel lucky. The Revolution finally win an MLS Cup after making the finals for the past two seasons. Chivas will still make me think of Chives when I see their name.

Border Showdown (11/29/2008): Kansas Jayhawks over Missouri Tigers

The 10-2 Kansas Jayhawks face the 10-1 Missouri Tigers at Arrowhead. A shot at the Big 12 title game is on the line again, with Kansas taking the victory this time. KU faces Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship game the next week.

Big 12 Championship (12/06/2008): Oklahoma Sooners over Kansas Jayhawks

The Oklahoma Sooners defeat the Kansas Jayhawks to win the Big 12 Championship. Kansas accepts a bid to once again play in the Orange Bowl. KU will face Boston College from the ACC.

Kansas City Chiefs (December 2008):

The Chiefs finish the season a disappointing 6-10, making it two straight years with a losing record. Carl Peterson is really on the hot seat with the fans, while team Owner Clark Hunt gives him the "kiss of death" with a vote of confidence.

BCSNC: Ohio State shocks LSU...and it's not even close

SB XLII: Patriots beat Packers 49-40

Daytona 500: Dale Jr. wins first time out for Hendrick

NCAA Final Four: Memphis completes perfect season downing Texas

NCAA Final Four(Women's): UConn routs Purdue

Masters: Tiger romps

Stanley Cup: Red Wings over Penguins in 7

NBA Finals: Spurs sweep Celtics

Tour de France: Some unknown spaniard wins

WSOP: Unknown Internet qualifier wins Main Event

World Series: Tigers sweep (Insert irrelevant National League team here)

Sprint Cup: Carl Edwards flips to win the Chase

MLS: Dynamo beat Revolution(Lather, Rinse, Repeat)

Tennis: Federer (FINALLY) wins Grand Slam

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

NFL 2008 Super Bowl Pats vs. Green Bay --- Brett Farve tears up the Pats secondary and the Pats go 17-1. Green Bay your NFL Champs.

MLB 2008 - Brewers vs. Indians --- Selig announces he will resign at said World Series as the Indians sweep the Brewers.

NBA 2008 - Phoenix finally completes the task against Cleveland

NCAA - LSU 2008 in for 2009's championship game -- Oklahoma vs. Florida -> Florida Wins

Arena - Philly plays San Jose -- Philly wins

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

Detroit Red Wings win Stanley Cup, possibly with Mats Sundin in the line-up after the Leafs trade him there for a 1st Round pick and a prospect. Sundin then retires and on opening night the Leafs honour his #13.

I want Mats to get a cup!

untitled-6.jpg

BCS: Ohio State def. LSU

SB XLII: New England Patriots def Dallas Cowboys

NCAA Final Four: North Carolina, Memphis, Georgetown, Marquette (North Carolina def. Georgetown)

Stanley Cup: Detroit Red Wings def New York Rangers

NBA Finals: Boston Celtics def Phoenix Suns

World Series: Detroit Tigers def. Chicago Cubs

BCSNC: LSU beats OSU 35-20

SB XLII: Indianapolis beats Seattle

Daytona 500: Jeff Gordon

NCAA Final Four: Memphis, UNC, Kansas, & UCLA: Memphis beats UNC in an epic final

NCAA Final Four(Women's): Tennessee upsets UConn

Masters: Tiger, duh

Stanley Cup: Detroit over Ottawa in 6

NBA Finals: Boston beats San Antonio in 7

World Series: Boston beats Detroit in 7...oh wait, thats just the ALCS... Boston beats Atlanta in 6

Sprint Cup: Jimmy Johnson

MLS: DC United beats Houston

Other News:

- Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens retires

- Brett Farve finishes second in the MVP

- Appalachian will win their fourth consecutive FCS National Championship

- Travelle Pryor will go to Michigan, and the Wolverines will win 8 games.

- The Patriots will not trade their top pick.

- ESPN is renamed WLBSPN (We Love Boston Sports Programming Network).

- Hawai'i will struggle lacking Colt Brennan at the helm.

- Michael Beasley is the first pick of the draft by the New York Knicks.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

BCS Championship: LSU def. Ohio State

Super Bowl XLII: New England def. Dallas

NCAA BB: North Carolina def. Texas

Stanley Cup Finals: Detroit def. Ottawa

NBA Finals: San Antonio def. Boston

World Series: Boston def. San Diego

Golf: Tiger wins 2 majors

Tennis: Federer wins 3 majors

Other predictions:

Roger Clemens "retires" for a couple months, only to be signed by the Yankees again.

Barry Bonds finally admits steroid use, then rats out several former teammates.

NFL Network doesn't end up on basic cable, causing riots from several fans. The NFL won't listen, though (unless there is a Pats game and they're undefeated).

The Patriots nearly go 19-0 again....

......and all the sports world mourns outside of Boston.

Another major league pitcher dies (it seems like one dies almost every year now).

Despite fans calling for resignations or firings, Matt Millen, Isiah Thomas and John Ferguson Jr. will all still have their jobs.

Also, Gary Bettman and Bud Selig will both have their jobs (and hockey and baseball fans will complain once again).

espnsig.gif

Locally:

Georgia -- Will defeat Hawaii tonight in the Sugar Bowl. Then will go 11-1 next season, defeat Auburn in the SEC Championship Game.

Braves: Will win the East Division and reach the World Series in Bobby Cox's final season managing the team.

Falcons: Struggle to win 6 games in the next season, gaining another high draft pick.

Thrashers: Will finish 9th in the Eastern Conference and go under huge changes in the offseason. (I sure as hell hope I'm wrong about this.)

Hawks: Will make the playoffs, and sign a big-name free agent in the offseason.

Hawks/Thrashers ownership dispute: Will not be resolved.

Nationally:

BCS Champion: LSU

Super Bowl champion: Green Bay

NCAA Basketball champion: North Carolina

Stanley Cup champion: Detroit

NBA champion: San Antonio

World Series champion: Detroit

St. Louis....

Cardinals go into rebuilding mode, finishing 73-89

Rams enter what could best be described as a "lost" year, with an ownership interregnum following Georgia Frontiere's passing in May of 2008. A sale of the team is announced in December, but not before Linebaka coaches them to a 4-12 season. His dismissal is announced in early January 2009.

Blues finish 2nd in the Division, and lose in the First round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Nebraska football....

Bo Pelini coaches the Cornhuskers to a 7-5 regular season as they continue to rebuild. Their postseason ends with a loss in the Independence Bowl, giving them a final record of 7-6.

Illinois Basketball....

Illinois finishes 7th in the Conference, and plays in the NIT. Bruce Weber narrowly escapes being run out of town on a rail by the Chicago media.

Bradley Basketball....

Bradley finishes 6th in the MVC, and fails to play in the postseason.

Nationally....

Most sports fans continue to grow sick of ESPN.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

BCS: LSU over OSU

SB XLII: Green Bay over Indy

NCAA Final Four: UNC, UCLA, G-Town, Villanova (Georgetown takes the title)

Stanley Cup: Vancouver over New Jersey

NBA Finals: Boston def San Antonio

World Series: Chicago (NL) over Detroit

LOCAL:

Sabres:#6 seed and beat Carolina and Ottawa before losing in the Conference Finals for the 3rd straight year, to New Jersey

Bills:10-6, wild card #5 seed and lose to Cleveland in the Wild Card Round.

SU Football: 3 wins

UB Football: 7-5, 2nd in MAC East, lose to Rutgers in the International Bowl in Toronto

SU BBall: Make NCAA tourney as #9 seed and lose in 2nd round to #1 seed

NU BBall: Win MAAC tourney and get a #15 seed, get blown out by #2 seed

UB BBall: Lose in MAC Tourney semis

Canisius BBall: 9 wins

StBona BBall: 2nd last in A-10

saBS.png

I forgot to add, my teams' predictions for 08....

USC: Mens' BB will once again make a little noise in the tourney.

IU: BB makes Sweet 16 and possibly Elite 8.

Colts: Don't repeat, but come back even stronger next season.

Dodgers: Win NL West, get beat by Padres in NLCS

Kings: Finish dead last in the NHL, acquire some nice young stars in offseason only to once again finish last.

Lakers: Lose to Suns in the 2nd round (the Suns still own us when it counts)

espnsig.gif

Super Bowl: You heard it here first, Sean Taylors memory guides the WASHINGTON REDSKINS to their 4th Super Bowl Title over Indy.

World Series: Detroit Tigers over the LA Dodgers

NBA Title: umm...Boston?

Stanley Cup: Ottawa will choke once again in the Finals against Calgary, who on an MVP effort from Jarome Iginla will win the Stanley Cup.

MLS Cup: DC United will gain retribution over the Chicago Fire in the MLS Playoffs and defeat the LA Beckhams to win #5 (if they keep Gomez).

Locally

Redskins: would it surprise you to see the 'Skins win it all?

Wizards: lose in the 1st rd vs Cleveland, again.

Caps: behind a 60 goal effort from Ovechkin will gain the 6th seed in the East and lose in the first rd in the playoffs.

Nationals: 81-81 season, a success considering the pitching which will once again be an issue.

Terps basketball: Will make the final round of the NIT.

G'town: Final Four bound.

DC United: MLS Cup and SS winners once again (if they keep Gomez)

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

BCS: LSU squeaks out a win 38-36

SB XLII: Jacksonville def. Dallas

NBA: Suns def. Orlando

NHL: Vancouver def. Ottawa

MLB: Tigers def. Dodgers

Final Four: UCLA def Tennessee (Georgetown, Arizona St)

Frozen Four: Colorado College def New Hampshire (North Dakota, UMass)

Daytona 500: Greg Biffle

Sprint Cup: Carl Edwards

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Gazing into my crystal ball I see....

BCS Championship: The Buckeyes shock the world and easily beat LSU. (just a gut feeling and I see I wasn't the only one in this thread who thinks it will happen)

NFL Playoffs:

NFC:

The Redskins claw their way in only to get smoked by Seattle.

Dallas loses their first playoff game.

Green Bay wins the NFC.

AFC:

The Jaguars are everyone's "sleeper" but they lose to Pittsburgh.

The Patriots pulverize everyone in their path on their way to the Super Bowl.

Super Bowl: In a rematch of 1996 The Patriots turn the tables and beat The Packers 35-21 (the reverse of the score of their first Super Bowl meeting.)

In the aftermath of New England's 19-0 season ESPN's Chris Mortensen accidentally sodomizes Chris Berman when they crash into each other in the hallway as they are racing to the studio to be the first to ask "Is this Patriots team the greatest team in the history of sports? And is Boston the greatest sports city ever?" Boston hating reaches an all-time high. The CCSLC mods give up and create a new forum called "The Bile Room" which is devoted exclusively to ripping on Boston fans.

Daytona 500: Dale Jr. wins in his first race for Hendrick. It will be the lone bright spot in a season that finally exposes Jr. for the average driver that he really is. He will no longer be able to blame his equipment. At some point he'll say that it's no wonder he's doing so poorly because Gordon and Johnson get so much preferential treatment. He'll say they don't like him because he's "not one of them" referring to the fact that they aren't from the south like he is.

The Dale Jr./Hendrick partnership will be a disaster.

NHL: The playoffs are off the charts great. Sadly no one notices.

NCAA Basketball: North Carolina gets Roy Williams another ring.

NBA: Who cares? I'll take Detroit.

MLB:

AL Playoff teams: Detroit, Angels, Red Sox, wildcard: Cleveland

NL Playoff teams: Mets, Cubs, Padres, wildcard: Arizona

The Red Sox repeat beating the Mets to continue "Boston's revenge tour." Peter Gammons renounces his U.S. citizenship and swears his undying allegiance to Red Sox nation.

ESPN debuts "ESPN-NY-NE." The new networks slogan is: :censored: it. You know it and We know it so here it is.

The Yankees finish third and miss the playoffs. Tampa Bay finally finishes within 5 games of .500.

Nascar: Roush Racing takes their turn at the top and Matt Kenseth wins the cup. Toyota will win a couple races.

These predictions are completely off the cuff. I will not be held to them at a later date (unless they're correct of course.)

BB52Big.jpg

Mine:

I, too, like Ohio State.

New England wins the Super Bowl, which results in several temporary suspensions on this forum.

The Pistons or Spurs will win the NBA Championship this year.

I haven't watched enough college basketball to have a clue about who is good, but I do know that Syracuse will make the Sweet Sixteen and a team from the Big East will win the whole thing.

I wish I knew anything about hockey.

The NL representative will beat Seattle in the World Series.

The Buffalo Bills will surprise everyone in the 2008 football season, winning 13 games.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

BCSNC: Ohio State over LSU

SB XLII: Colts repeat, defeating the Packers, 34-27

Daytona 500: Jeff Gordon

NCAA Final Four: Wisconsin, Arizona, Memphis, Kansas (Winner: Wisconsin)

Masters: Tiger Woods

Stanley Cup: Avalanche over Devils in 7

NBA Finals: Nuggets over Pistons in 6

World Series: Mariners over Rockies in 7

Sprint Cup: Jeff Gordon

Tennis: Andy Roddick wins at least one grand slam (probably the US Open)

The Red Sox repeat beating the Mets to continue "Boston's revenge tour." Peter Gammons renounces his U.S. citizenship and swears his undying allegiance to Red Sox nation.

I understand the sarcastic humor intended here, but Gammons is Massachusetts-born and bred. He currently lives on Cape Cod, and started his professional journalism career at The Boston Globe.

He swore his allegiance to Red Sox Nation long ago.

:P

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I understand the sarcastic humor intended here, but Gammons is Massachusetts-born and bred. He currently lives on Cape Cod, and started his professional journalism career at The Boston Globe.

He swore his allegiance to Red Sox Nation long ago.

:P

Really? Pete was born in Massachusetts and worked at the Boston Globe? No way. I would have never guessed. It's not like he's got a clear Red Sox bias or anything. It's nice to know that Boston fans at least aren't going to pretend that Gammons has any journalistic ethics or anything. Perhaps I should have added the word "publicly" as in he finally confirmed what everyone already knew. Kinda like Rosie O'Donnel or Ellen Degeneres when they "came out."

You Boston fans sure are quick. :D

BB52Big.jpg

BCS: Ohio State stuns LSU in overtime

SB XLII: Patriots over Packers

Daytona 500: Some unknown who has never won a big race before...Dave Blaney

NBA Finals: Boston over Phoenix

Stanley Cup: Red Wings over New Jersey

World Series: Indians over Brewers

MLS Cup: New Engalnd over Los Angeles (Have a feeling NE finally wins one)

Oh, and a big name sports figure returns from retirement. Don't know who, but I bet one does.

nhlvquebec2mw0.pngnhlpittsburghmo1.pngmlsnewenglandei8.pngnflbaltimoreff1.pngncaaohiostatepx4.png

Interesting Baseball fact: In 1960: Baltimore, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh had 2 AAA affiliates, while Los Angeles had 3 teams...and the New York Yankees had the Kansas City Athletics.

Interesting Hockey fact: In 1974, the Buffalo Sabres draft Taro Tsujimoto of the Toyko Katanas with th 183 pick in the draft. It was later revealed that Taro didn't exist, but Taro is still listed as an offical draftee of the Buffalo Sabres in their Media Guide.

Archived