Rating the AFC Helmets

random_ax

My criteria.....

I am judging them as if they are all expansion teams and we are seeing the logos for the first time in 2008. This would preclude anyone from liking a logo just for tradition sake. Does it represent the name of the team and look cool?

CLEVELAND BROWNS ..... I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have a Cleveland Browns in 2008 if they just started a franchise so this one is hard. They would name it the Cleveland Cobras or Rhinos etc. But since the brownie elf wouldn't fly on an NFL helmet and I hate the dawg stuff.... I'd say they pretty much can't do much with the name Browns....

Grade: B

CINCINNATI BENGALS ..... I admire the way they went with the tiger stripes vs the more traditional leaping tiger that adorns the shoulder....

Grade: A

PITTSBURGH STEELERS.... I'm not a big fan of the one-sided helmet and the use of a logo that is also in my fridge. Wouldn't mind them going with the golden throwback helmet either. Since we aren't thinking tradition here, maybe they could've gone with something a little more creative.

Grade: B

HOUSTON TEXANS...Absolutely hate the name. Only Texans would consider Texans a team name. You don't see Floridians or Michiganders or ...okay, the WFK had the Hawaii Hawaiians.... I had heard they were going to be the Houston Toros which would have made more sense with the logo. Putting aside my hatred of the name, the logo rocks.

Grade: A

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS... I like the understated use of the arrowhead opposed to using something more like the Illini Chief's head.

GRADE: A

OAKLAND RAIDERS... Love the swaggering pirate with the football helmet and crossed swords all in beautiful black and silver.

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS... Big fan of powder blue (or is that collegiate blue?) and the gleaming white helmets

DENVER BRONCOS....So glad they ditched the previous snorting stallion. Love the current logo.

MIAMI DOLPHINS.... I like that they made the dolphin look meaner a few seasons ago...but can't they ditch the goofy helmet that the dolphin is wearing....yikes!

GRADE: A-

BUFFALO BILLS...as much as I like the charging bison, I kinda like the standing bison more. Above all, I wish they had kept the Buffalo Bisons name instead of Bills. But the current logo is cool

NEW YORK JETS......I didn't mind the previous look and I still like the current "retro" look. Could you do more with the name "Jets"?

GRADE: A-

BALTIMORE RAVENS.... I have liked all the Raven logos but I like the current one the best.

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS..... Very cool logo even with the teal tongue

GRADE :A

TENNESSEE TITANS.... what can you do with the name Titans. I was always partial to Copperheads. But the flaming T works.

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS... one of the best logos in sports...simple but a great way to depict Colts.

GRADE : A

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS.... really like the current logo vs the old one. The "Elvis on Mt Rushmore" look is a very solid logo.

==========================================================================

1. Cincinnati--A+ (Love the stripes. Unis are kinda ugly though. Oh well.)

2. Jacksonville--A+ (I really like solid black helmets.)

3. Baltimore--A (Srsly, I do. Dunno why everyone hates the Ravens look. As a fan, I love it. Took off the plus because the B in the logo is annoying. )

4. Indianapolis--A (Classy but modern. Elegant yet tough.)

5. Denver--A (Prefer the new logo and colors over old. Sorry. :()

6. New England--B (Can someone explain just what exactly the logo is suppose to be? Even still, it manages to look good....I guess that's what happens when you go 16-0-0....)

7. Pittsburg--B

8. Cleveland--B (Looks good to me...)

9. San Diego--B (I both hate and love them at the same time. Sometimes the white helmets look good with the unis. At others, all the white drives my crazy.)

10. Oakland--B

11. Houston--B

12. Miami--B-

13. Kansas City--B- (It works.)

14. NY Jets--C (Makes me claustrophobic. SIM-PLI-FY)

15. Tennessee--C- (*Yawn*)

16. Buffalo--D (what are you doing)

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: The best in the AFC, by far. A++

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS: Simple, to the point ... just great. A+

CINCINNATI BENGALS: I always did like those tiger stripes. I know a lot of people don't, but I give it an A

PITTSBURGH STEELERS: I, too, am not a fan of the one-sided logo, but tradition is the equalizer. A-

DENVER BRONCOS: A great logo that would be higher had the Broncos not ditched their previous, better snorting horse. A-

HOUSTON TEXANS: Great logo, but it's too big on the helmets. A-

BUFFALO BILLS: Too bad the rest of the uniform isn't as good as this. A-

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS: Great logo, but that teal tongue ... B

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS: I love the bolts, but those white helmets are just wrong. B-

MIAMI DOLPHINS: So many things wrong here. C

OAKLAND RAIDERS: Too damn busy. C

TENNESSEE TITANS: It's uncluttered, and it has the three stars of Tennessee. But it could be SO much better. C

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: So many things wrong -- 1, The helmets should be blue instead of silver. 2, Elvis fought in the Revolutionary War? C

CLEVELAND BROWNS: The only reason it isn't an F is because of tradition. C-

NEW YORK JETS: Likewise, the only reason it isn't an F because of tradition. But the Jets also have the problem of having such a busy logo that you can't tell what the heck it is. D-

BALTIMORE RAVENS: The worst in all of the NFL, mostly because of the B on the bird. F

wow, i want to go to your school NO C's, D's or F's.

My thoughts exactly.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Steelers: A+ (can't go wrong with tradition)

Browns: A+ (see Steelers)

Colts: A+ (once again, tradition untouched)

Texans: A+ (simple and effective)

Chargers: A- (New bolt would've looked good on blue shell)

Ravens: A- (I still like the old winged shield)

Bengals: A (I don't see any change in near future)

Jaguars: B (Could still work with the silver shell and stripes from unused prototypes)

Jets: B (Wouldn't mind seeing Gameface on helmets)

Dolphins: B (Navy blue wasn't needed)

Broncos: C (total Nike overkill, even for '97)

Bills: C (Dark blue and nickel gray weren't needed)

Titans: C (good, but still has potential to be a great design)

Chiefs: D (too plain)

Raiders: F++ (self explanatory)

Patriots: F+++ (cheaters won't prosper in '08)

Steelers: A+ (can't go wrong with tradition)

Browns: A+ (see Steelers)

Colts: A+ (once again, tradition untouched)

Texans: A+ (simple and effective)

Chargers: A- (New bolt would've looked good on blue shell)

Ravens: A- (I still like the old winged shield)

Bengals: A (I don't see any change in near future)

Jaguars: B (Could still work with the silver shell and stripes from unused prototypes)

Jets: B (Wouldn't mind seeing Gameface on helmets)

Dolphins: B (Navy blue wasn't needed)

Broncos: C (total Nike overkill, even for '97)

Bills: C (Dark blue and nickel gray weren't needed)

Titans: C (good, but still has potential to be a great design)

Chiefs: D (too plain)

Raiders: F++ (self explanatory)

Patriots: F+++ (cheaters won't prosper in '08)

so... because they cheated, the helmet is the worst in football?

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: The best in the AFC, by far. A++

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS: Simple, to the point ... just great. A+

CINCINNATI BENGALS: I always did like those tiger stripes. I know a lot of people don't, but I give it an A

PITTSBURGH STEELERS: I, too, am not a fan of the one-sided logo, but tradition is the equalizer. A-

DENVER BRONCOS: A great logo that would be higher had the Broncos not ditched their previous, better snorting horse. A-

HOUSTON TEXANS: Great logo, but it's too big on the helmets. A-

BUFFALO BILLS: Too bad the rest of the uniform isn't as good as this. A-

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS: Great logo, but that teal tongue ... B

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS: I love the bolts, but those white helmets are just wrong. B-

MIAMI DOLPHINS: So many things wrong here. C

OAKLAND RAIDERS: Too damn busy. C

TENNESSEE TITANS: It's uncluttered, and it has the three stars of Tennessee. But it could be SO much better. C

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: So many things wrong -- 1, The helmets should be blue instead of silver. 2, Elvis fought in the Revolutionary War? C

CLEVELAND BROWNS: The only reason it isn't an F is because of tradition. C-

NEW YORK JETS: Likewise, the only reason it isn't an F because of tradition. But the Jets also have the problem of having such a busy logo that you can't tell what the heck it is. D-

BALTIMORE RAVENS: The worst in all of the NFL, mostly because of the B on the bird. F

I don't understand why people freak out about the teal tongue. Red is not part of the color scheme. Have you ever seen a blue lion, a silver human, a blue buffalo, a red, white and blue bull? It is ridiculous to bring up.

YOU CAN WORK WITH YOUR COLOR SCHEME BEFORE REAL LIFE COLORS!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not like they made the tongue purple. Now that would make no sense.

I don't understand why people freak out about the teal tongue. Red is not part of the color scheme. Have you ever seen a blue lion, a silver human, a blue buffalo, a red, white and blue bull? It is ridiculous to bring up.

YOU CAN WORK WITH YOUR COLOR SCHEME BEFORE REAL LIFE COLORS!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not like they made the tongue purple. Now that would make no sense.

Teal may be one of the Jaguars' colors, but it just looks wrong as a tongue.

It's not about seeing blue lions or yellow ram horns or blue buffaloes. It's totally about that tongue and it looking wrong.

I get to play Mr. Blackwell! Let the bitchiness commence:

New England Patriots A. Flying Elvis rocks.

Buffalo Bills D. Never liked the change to red helmets.

New York Jets. A-. Nice throwback--Parcells' legacy to the Jets.

Miami Dolphins D. The redesigned Dolphins helmet stripped this team of its character.

Pittsburgh Steelers A. Love the steelmark. Solid and it says it all.

Baltimore Ravens F. They went with three possible designs, had the fans vote and then picked this ugly piece of crap.

Cleveland Browns B. Give them points for tradition.

Cincinnati Bengals C-. Take that tiger's head and put it on a black helmet and stop copying the Browns, dammit. Or the striped B. or SOMETHING.

Tennessee Titans

Jacksonville Jaguars D-. A hasty redesign after the car company objected to the original mark left us with this ugly helmet with a yawning cat. Eccch.

Indianapolis Colts A. Another simple classic.

Houston Texans B+ I didn't like this one 'til I realized that when the linemen lean forward, the blood red horns point straight at the opponents. Nice.

Kansas City Chiefs B. Looks good on the field but ehhh.

Oakland Raiders A+. Simple. Classic. Awesome.

San Diego Chargers B-. Good redesign. Put the numbers back on the helmet and it's an A.

Denver Broncos D. The severed horse's head always makes me think of "The Godfather."

How about those...

Mets?

Packers?

Rangers?

Knicks?

Titans?

Owner of the New York Night Owls 1999 champions in the All World Football League.

No grades, just a preferential order...

( 1) Houston - An instant classic that could serve the team well for the next quarter century without getting old.

( 2) Oakland - Tradition keeps this baby from ever being modified, and that's unquestionably a good thing.

( 3) Cincinnati - A classic, unlike their abomination of a uniform.

( 4) New England - 'Flying Elvis' or no, this helmet will be with us for a long, long time to come.

( 5) Jacksonville - The most attractive black-shell helmet in NFL history, would be too busy with stripes. Just right.

( 6) Indianapolis - Tradition keeps this baby from ever being modified, and that's probably a good thing.

( 7) New York - An attempt to resurrect glory days now looks outdated. Still classy, but in need of a full revamp.

( 8) Denver - This one's starting to show its age. May be revered today thanks to two SB's, but may also be gone in five years.

( 9) Kansas City - Tradition keeps this baby from ever being modified, and that's probably a good thing.

(10) Cleveland - Tradition keeps this baby from ever being modified, and that's probably a good thing.

(11) San Diego - An okay helmet, but for me it just doesn't jibe with the rest of the look.

(12) Miami - A good looking helmet in the 1970's and 80's. Going into the 2010's? Not so much.

(13) Pittsburgh - Ranks this low only because of that uglyass number font.

(14) Tennessee - Liked this when it first came out, but it has gotten old. Fast.

(15) Baltimore - The raven looks awkward, is placed too high on the helmet, and that 'B' is simply godawful.

(16) Buffalo - the red, put in place so Joe Ferguson could distinguish his receivers from other AFC East teams, should've went when Joe did.

nav-logo.png

Over/under on the time it takes for this thread to degenerate into a homeristic love/hate preferential debate/list...? ^_^

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Cincinnati--A (Always liked the Stipes. A true Helmet innovation)

Jacksonville--C (Has lost some luster over time. Maybe the full-body Jag needs a look)

Baltimore--D- (The shield would make a better helmet logo. The purple spike stripes are bad, as they blend in with the black shell. Not well designed)

Indianapolis--A+ (Simple, and beautiful. Gets the plus for the gray facemasks)

Denver--F (Has failed the test of time. Was decent when first introduced, then became boring, now is just plain bad.)

New England--B (It's no Pat D. Patriot, but the Flying Elvis is a good logo, and now that it is associated with the great Pats teams, it isn't going away)

Pittsburgh--A (Iconic. The fact that this logo is the one used by U.S. Steel [i believe] makes it all the cooler.)

Cleveland--A+ (Again, Iconic. No frills, nothing fancy. The Browns are one of the last links to the games glorious golden past. I love it)

San Diego--C+ (Would get an A if the numbers were on the side)

Oakland--A (God, this helmet is just bad-ass. It's like the Hell's Angels patch of the NFL)

Houston--A+ (Couldn't have executed a logo for the nickname 'Texans" any better. The dark blue shell fits the whole look)

Miami--C- (The logo is fine, but the sripes bother me. They need to ditch the dark blue. Makes no sense, and doesn't fit. Never liked it.)

Kansas City--A (Simple and beautiful.)

NY Jets--B (Very good modo-retro. Would have liked to seen a modernization of the 1963 jet logo, but as is, it's a nice helmet)

Tennessee--B- (it's not bad. The spike stripes need to be cut. Maybe have a blue-red-blue stripe. The logo isn't bad.

Buffalo--F (Throwbacks. Now. Please. Thank You.)

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I'll go ahead and give the Browns an "F" (especially since tradition isn't a consideration.) If an expansion team came into the NFL today and had a plain helmet, people would be up in arms.

Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Boston College, Army, Navy, Penn State, Alabama... all teams without a logo on their helmets yet it doesn't seem to be nearly as big a deal as the Browns not having a logo on their helmet.

I am curious to hear the answers to this question, why does a football team have to have a logo on it's helmet? For everyone who bitches about the Browns helmet I am curious, why exactly is a logo necessary? I'm sure that all the detractors must have a great explanation for why a Browns helmet is such an affront to all that is sacred in sports attire.

While we're pondering the logo question...

My ratings by division.

East:

New England: Very generic look. C-

Miami: Great helmet. One of the best. A+

Jets: Classic look. A

Buffalo: A decent helmet that could be good with a few less stripes. Wasted on awful uniforms. B-

Their alternate helmet is perfect. A+

South:

Tennessee: Ho-Hum. Not awful not great. C+

Jacksonville: See Tennessee. C+

Indianapolis: Sheer perfection. A+

Houston: Great look. Great logo. A

North:

Cleveland: It's boring, it's orange with brown and white stripes, it's plain, and it has a gray facemask. It's perfect. A+

Pittsburgh: Another perfect helmet. A+

Baltimore: God awful. F

Cincinnati: It's nothing if not unique. It gets big points for originality. A

West:

San Diego: It's half pregnant. Either go all the way with the retro look or stick with blue. C

Kansas City: Perfect. A+

Oakland: See Kansas City. A+

Denver: Great color scheme. Decent logo. Ridiculous stripes. B-

BB52Big.jpg

I prefer rankings over grades

1) Cincinnati Bengals. Original, recognizable, what a helmet should be

2) Cleveland Browns. Original, recognizable, isn't number one because of that gray facemask. Go back to white.

3) Jacksonville Jaguars. One word: sharp. Love that logo.

4) Houston Texans. Great logo, my favorite logo and it looks awesome on the side of a helmet.

5) Oakland Raiders. Cool helmet with euro-like shield makes for a helmet that represents an attitude that the team carries.

6) Indianapolis Colts. I'm not a fan of gray facemasks but in this case it looks better than white did and alot better than blue did.

7) Kansas City Chiefs. Classic, wish there was some yellow on it, but it's too late to change now and the arrowhead KC is a great logo

8) New York Jets. Clean and symmetrical

9) Miami Dolphins. Way too cluttered. Gets a pass because it kept some tradition but needs to lose the dark blue in the stripes

10) Denver Broncos. Ever notice how the tapered stripe is the horse's mane? That should be worth something

11) Pittsburgh Steelers. Even their logo is a cheater, they plagiarized the steel industry. And only on one side of the helmet is so obnoxious.

12) New England Patriots. That red facemask kills it. The logo seems to be designed specifically for the side of a football helmet as is comes from the back to the front and works really well on a helmet, but the red facemask seems so out of place to me that it might as well be green. It looked best when the facemask was gray.

13) Baltimore Ravens. I actually don't mind the logo, but those stripes. Lose the stripes and go with just a black helmet.

14) San Diego Chargers. The white helmet looks so empty and open, a number would fill that space nicely.

15 Tennessee Titans. The goofy stripes don't match a thing of the uniform, a good logo but stripes that match the white pants stripes would go a long way to improve this helmet.

16) Buffalo Bills. Too many stripes and the buffalo is royal blue while most of the uniform is navy causing it to stick out like it was a color error or something

PvO6ZWJ.png

Baltimore: Like the striping, black works good, but the logo is too cheesy, especially with the B right in the middle. Using their old unused Raven Head Profile would be better. 7/10

Buffalo: I like the current logo over the old standing Buffalo. Switch back from red to white and simplify the striping. 8/10

Cincinnati: Perfect, unique and very cool. 10/10

Cleveland: I don't care, there should be a logo on the helmet. Put the "B football" logo on there and it's good. 6/10

Denver: Change the navy to royal blue, put the old stripe in place of the current and it's great. 8/10

Houston: Nothing wrong with it, it's great as is. 10/10

Indianapolis: Make the horseshoe a little more modern/detailed and it's good. 9/10

Jacksonville: Just fine as is, maybe a stripe w/ teal would look good, but it's fine as is. 9/10

Kansas City: Everything is good, the arrowhead shape should be modernized a little. 9/10

Miami: Love the design, logo, however, the stripe is too complicated and the helmet on the Dolphin is lame. 7/10

New England: Not good at all, the logo is lame, silver doesn't fit and navy shouldn't be there. Almost a complete overhaul is needed. 3/10

N.Y. Jets: In need of a better logo and preferably a kelly green helmet. 5/10

Oakland: Good, nothing needs to be changed. 10/10

Pittsburgh: I like the logo on one side, logo needs to be modernized, change the gray to a steel gray color. 8/10

San Diego: Current white helmet doesn't work, just, no. The previous navy one was PERFECT! 5/10

Tennessee: Another perfect design, great. 10/10

Archived