RAting the NFC Helmets

random_ax

Criteria is that the teams are all new this year so we aren't judging on tradition..just looks.

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES...I liked the previous wings better than the current ones but either way, the logo is good.

GRADE: A

DALLAS COWBOYS:... The lone star state....cool logoin either silver and blue or white and blue.

NEW YORK GIANTS...wither the current NY or previous GIANTS works for me, whta can you do to depict a giant?

ST LOUIS RAMS...the NFL's original helmet logo! Cool in any color scheme.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS.... one that Ididn't like at first but has grown on me.

CAROLINA PANTHERS..... cool cat.

TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS...I always liked Bucco Bruce and wish they could've kept him as a shoulder patch. But the current logo is even better than Bruce by far and the pewter is great.

ATLANTA FALCONS...what a difference a little tweaking makes...never liked the old logo...love the new one

DETROIT LIONS.... love the romping lion in Honolulu Blue

GREEN BAY PACKERS.... What can you do with Packers? The stylized G works.

GRADE : A

MINNESOTA VIKINGS....No viking EVER wore horns on their helmet...sorry, they didn't. Crossed battle-axes or even that Viking in profile (minus the horns) but can't praise the helmet.

GRADE: C+

CHICAGO BEARS...I'm a Bears fan all my life but the C..... what a lame logo. Sure,sure, sure, tradition but remember the criteria, the Bears just started in 2008...who would use a C if you could use something closer to the growling bear head on most of their merchandise????

GRADE: C

SAN FRANCISCO 49ers..... I think they could've worked some kind of pick-axe into the logo to honor the gold miners..something similar to the Gold Miners logo of the CFL.

ARIZONA CARDINALS.... Good solid logo, sure a Cardinal isn't all that scary a bird unless you're a sunflower seed but IF you had to name your Arizona franchise the Cardinals..it works. Obviously, we'd have Phoenix Firebirds or Phoenix Scorpions etc if they were a new team.

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS..... my favorite sports logo..... even better after the remake.....

WASHINGTON REDSKINS....I wish they had maintained the name Braves (Redskins began as the Boston Braves) but as Indian logos go, I think this one is a whole lot better than the Cleveland Indians. I know some people favored the old spear or R logo too.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Minnesota--A+

2. Philadelphia--A+ (Their wings along with Minnesota's horns look really good up there.)

3. Seattle--A+ (Solid logo. Solid shell.)

4. San Francisco--A

5. Green Bay--A

6. DC--A-

7. NY Giants--B+

8. Dallas--B+

9. Chicago--B

10. Carolina--B

11. Tampa Bay--B

12. New Orleans--B

13. Arizona--C (100% eh)

14. St. Louis--C (I just don't like the new colors.)

15. Detroit--C- (All of the added black brings it down. Would be an A otherwise.)

16. Atlanta--D- (Logo just sucks IMO. Solid black shell saves them from F--)

ST. LOUIS RAMS: The best helmet logo in the NFL, bar none. A++

MINNESOTA VIKINGS: No, actual Vikings didn't have horned helmets. But it's so much a part of our tought that it would look wrong for them not to have horns. Besides, these horns are classics, even with the tweaking. A+

NEW YORK GIANTS: Traditional and a good-looking NY. A

DALLAS COWBOYS: It's a star, but one of the most identifiable logos. A

GREEN BAY PACKERS: The stylized G is a classic. Would be an A, but something bothers me about it to give it an A-. Maybe because I'm a Vikings fan.

ARIZONA CARDINALS: I love that Cardinal, but not enough to give it an A. A-

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES: Good idea, but the curviture of the wings looks odd. Needs a little tweaking and it would be an A+. Give it a B

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS: Good logo for New Orleans; bad for a team named Saints. B

ATLANTA FALCONS: A great helmet, but will always be associated with Michael Vick. B

CAROLINA PANTHERS. Yes, a cool cat, but almost generic. Give the Panthers extra points for trying to look like North and South Carolina. B

DETROIT LIONS: A classic, but not as cool a cat as the Carolina Panthers. B-

CHICAGO BEARS: Great C, but would look MUCH better with a Bear in the middle of the C. B-

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS: I like it, but there are things in it that I can't pinpoint that bother me. B-

TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS: Better than Bucco Bruce, but too busy. C

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: Boring. But I can't imagine them in anything else. C-

WASHINGTON REDSKINS: Bad logo. Go to the spear. D

Panthers: A+ (Only design in franchise history and still looks cool)

Saints: A+ (Best in franchise history)

Bears: A+ (Good enough for a city rich with sports tradition)

Packers: A+ (Can't go wrong with tradition)

Cowboys: A+ (Lone Star used with great strength)

Bucs: A (Orange could easily be phased out)

Giants: A (Exceptional in tradition dept)

Rams: A- (Bring back original gold)

Seahawks: A- (Wouldn't mind return to old colors)

Eagles: A- (Exceptional modern adaptation of classic design)

Redskins: B+ (Bring on the spear)

49ers: B (Black wasn't needed)

Vikings: B (Black wasn't needed)

Lions: B- (Black wasn't needed)

Cardinals: C (too modernized)

Falcons: F+ (Burial of Vick era uniforms and return to old logo will raise grade)

Double Post.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Panthers: A+ (Only design in franchise history and still looks cool)

Saints: A+ (Best in franchise history)

Bears: A+ (Good enough for a city rich with sports tradition)

Packers: A+ (Can't go wrong with tradition)

Cowboys: A+ (Lone Star used with great strength)

Bucs: A (Orange could easily be phased out)

Giants: A (Exceptional in tradition dept)

Rams: A- (Bring back original gold)

Seahawks: A- (Wouldn't mind return to old colors)

Eagles: A- (Exceptional modern adaptation of classic design)

Redskins: B+ (Bring on the spear)

49ers: B (Black wasn't needed)

Vikings: B (Black wasn't needed)

Lions: B- (Black wasn't needed)

Cardinals: C (too modernized)

Falcons: F+ (Burial of Vick era uniforms and return to old logo will raise grade)

This isn't a direct comment, but I get really annoyed when people keep saying go back to these colors or that logos that was in existence before some of us were born. Stop living in the past. It's call the past/throwback for a reason. I do agree that some designs went a little overboard, but going back to something of the past isn't going change anything and if anything, must of those designs were very stale.

Panthers: A+- Just as prankster, said they've had these since the start of their existence, and it still looks good).

Rams: A+ (Very original and as the original poster said, the design looks good with about any color).

Seahawks: A+ (Great modernization).

Giants: A (Nothing Special, but Respectable).

Cowboys: A (See Giants).

Lions: A (Although I do agree that too many sports teams in general add black unnecessarily to the team designs, the lions former design was blad and the black outline gave it same definition and the colors (hawaii blue, black, and silver) look good together).

Eagles: A- (The overuse of black prevents an A+ grade).

Saints: B+ (Nothing special but not bad).

Falcons: B+ (The old logo? I never knew what is was. This design better).

Packers: B+ (See Giants/Cowboys. Only the yellow brings the grade down).

Cardinals: B (For a great logo modernization, the helmets are very plain. Maybe Red facemasks and helmet stripe?).

Buccaneers: B (The design is to busy but anything is better than the old Bucco Bruce Helmets).

Vikings: B- (The black is unnecessary).

Bears: C (Too Simple).

49ers: C- (For nice colors, the helmet logo hides what 49ers means and doesn't indicate any to the goldrush).

Redskins: D (I hate the athletic gold and burgundy and the logo isn't special. The spear helmet and the unis that came with them should return).

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

This isn't a direct comment, but I get really annoyed when people keep saying go back to these colors or that logos that was in existence before some of us were born. Stop living in the past. It's call the past/throwback for a reason. I do agree that some designs went a little overboard, but going back to something of the past isn't going change anything and if anything, must of those designs were very stale.

Redskins: D (I hate the athletic gold and burgundy and the logo isn't special. The spear helmet and the unis that came with them should return).

:D Sorry, just had to. What I really wanted to comment on, was that I agree the logo isn't the greatest, however, the colors are some of my favorites in the league. And I also agree about returning to the spear. The bad thing about that would be losing the helmet stripes, which I love.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

The helmets, by division. With snide Mr. Blackwell comments....

Philadelphia Eagles: A+. The Valkyries ride.

New York Giants A. A great throwback design whose blue matches the jerseys (finally!)

Dallas Cowboys A. The simple triple star reminds me of how much I hate Dallas. Glad they toned down the gunmetal blue for silver.

Washington Redskins B. Not a bad logo, just not a good team name--both traditional and racist. Just like the US.

Green Bay Packers A. Pass the cheese. Vince Lombardi got the Pack wearing this helmet-may it never change.

Chicago Bears B +. A C. That's what's on it--the University of Chicago C.

Minnesota Vikings C-. Never liked this look and the new detailing doesn't help.

Detroit Lions. D. Lose the black trim.

Atlanta Falcons. F. The cyberfalcon should be retired as it screams "Vick era." Go back to the traditional look, Atlanta, on a red helmet.

Carolina Panthers D. Love the logo, but the helmet with those weird stripes--kinda sucks and screams '90s.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers B. A major improvement but I sorta miss Bruce.

New Orleans Saints A+. Perfect logo for New Orleans, classy color combination and a nice muted gold. If only the team were better.

Seattle Seahawks F. The old helmet was one of my favorites. This is not an improvement.

San Francisco '49ers C+. They need to drop the black, go to the scarlet and gold of their salad days.

St. Louis Rams C. When you win a Super Bowl, guys, DON'T CHANGE THE UNIFORM.

Arizona Cardinals A. Arizona looks great which makes up for years of futility. They did a nice job on the redesign too by not going too far.

How about those...

Mets?

Packers?

Rangers?

Knicks?

Titans?

Owner of the New York Night Owls 1999 champions in the All World Football League.

Not only will I grade them, I will order them

1. Arizona Cardinals- A (Beautiful color scheme, fierce logo.)

2. Seattle Seahawks- A (Shell Looks amazing on gray Seattle days. great logo.)

3. New Orleans Saints- B+ (clean, good shell color)

4. Green Bay Packers- B+ (points for classic look)

5. St. Louis Rams- B+ (good idea, looks great in current colors)

6. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- B+ (pewter helmet is interesting, neat logo)

7. Minnesota Vikings- B (logo used well)

8. Philadelphia Eagles- B- (see above.)

9. Atlanta Falcons- C+ (doesn't wow me, logo not that impressive.)

10. New York Giants- C+ (zzzzz...)

11. Dallas Cowboys- C (classy, but i hate the Cowboys, and dont like the Star)

12. Detroit Lions- C (uninteresting)

13. Carolina Panthers- C- (great logo, but silver helmet is awful)

14. Chicago Bears- C- (boring)

15. San Francisco 49ers- C- (boringer)

16. Washington Redskins- D (dreadful color scheme, ugly logo)

What really makes a football helmet, in my opinion, is how it looks in it's environment.

Arizona's sharp logo and flashy colors fit a flashy offense with a brand new UFO-like stadium.

Seattle's logo and shell color looks incredible on a rainy Seattle day.

The Saints' helmet looks clean and iconic under the Superdome lights.

The Packers' helmet alone makes you think of snowy games at Lambeau Field.

No grades, just a preferential order...

( 1) Seattle - A very nice update in 2002 that will probably outlast the original from which it was based.

( 2) Philadelphia - The recent change in green color has helped their look noticeably.

( 3) Tampa - The Pirates in pewter helmets have among the most attractive headgear in the NFL.

( 4) St. Louis - The color change in 2001 revitalized what had become an old, tired look.

( 5) Green Bay - Lombardi's simple look has stood the test of time.

( 6) Washington - Tradition will keep this helmet relatively the same until they're no longer the Redskins.

( 7) Arizona - Could've done much better with their update by ditching white as helmet shell color, but nonetheless nice.

( 8) New Orleans - A nice helmet design. Period.

( 9) Atlanta - The logo has always seemed forced to me, and the black shell reminds me of the Jerry Glanville era.

(10) San Francisco - The change for the post-Montana era was a bad one, though for jerseys it was worse.

(11) Carolina - Too Cartoonish a logo. It needs to go.

(12) New York - "NY" for a team that plays its games in East Rutherford, New Jersey? Bah!

(13) Dallas - Tradition keeps this look alive, but what exactly about a blue star evokes the image of a Cowboy?

(14) Chicago - Tradition keeps this look alive. Sadly.

(15) Detroit - Hasn't had a total look overhaul, in helmet or anywhere else, in nearly 50 years, and it shows.

(16) Minnesota - Simply a tired design, despite several overhauls and tweaks over the years.

nav-logo.png

Can I just point out (as a Packers fan) that without the history, Green Bay would have one of the worst helmets in the NFL? Ever since someone at this board pointed out how asburd it would be for the Giants to only use an N or the Chiefs to use a K, it's bugged the hell outta me.

Not enough for me to press for a change, but still...

Maybe we can petition the city of Green Bay to change its name to Greenbay lol

By division. No order of preference.

EAST:

Dallas: Great helmet. As close to perfect as it gets. A+

Washington: Despite the offensive name and logo, it's a great helmet. A

Giants: Another classic look. A+

Philadelphia: A formerly great helmet falls victim to "update" (read: add black) fever. Already looks outdated. C+

SOUTH:

Tampa Bay: I used to like their helmets until I saw the ones the current design beat out. Not bad. Not great. Solid B

Carolina: Good looking helmet. They lose points for the goofy stripes. B

New Orleans: Classy never goes out of style. Great helmet. A+

Atlanta: More victims of the update and modernize movement. Looks like a fictional team from a movie or TV series. F

NORTH:

Green Bay: Another great helmet. What an NFL team is supposed to look like. A+

Detroit: Used to be perfect then they "updated" with the black but it still looks pretty good. B

Chicago: Simple excellence. A+

Minnesota: Good looking helmet. Would be great if they went back to the darker purple and grey facemasks. B

WEST:

Arizona: Great helmet wasted on clown suit uniforms. A

St. Louis: A classic that has survived the updates. A

San Francisco: Too busy. The stripes don't work. They had perfect helmets before they went to the current look. C-

Seattle: Good looking helmet wasted on horrific monochrome home uniforms. B+

BB52Big.jpg

Can I just point out (as a Packers fan) that without the history, Green Bay would have one of the worst helmets in the NFL? Ever since someone at this board pointed out how asburd it would be for the Giants to only use an N or the Chiefs to use a K, it's bugged the hell outta me.

The bad Fox announcers pronounce it GREENbay, so we're halfway there.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I do believe that the stress on GREEN is how the locals say it. GREEN bay vs. green BAY as the rest of us say it

I'm not 100% certain, but I also think the locals in Calgary say that city's name a bit differently than the world at large, with more stress on the "GARY" part of the name.

I do believe that the stress on GREEN is how the locals say it. GREEN bay vs. green BAY as the rest of us say it

I'm not 100% certain, but I also think the locals in Calgary say that city's name a bit differently than the world at large, with more stress on the "GARY" part of the name.

Actually, the emphasis for most cities in Wisconsin is on the second sylable (i.e. milWAUkee, raCINE, brown DEER), so green BAY is the "correct" way to say it.

Archived