RAting the NFC Helmets

random_ax

After reading your last posts, some of your choices still don't make sense. If a team called the Green Bay Packers entered the league today with a helmet with a G with an oval around it, it would be terrible. Does the Packers logo look cool? Not really it's just a G with an oval. Does it convey the name of the team? It doesn't really do that either. The team name is the Green Bay Packers, not just the Green Packers. Is it tough to come up with a logo for a team named the Packers? Of course it is, but you can't give them a pass because you think it's the best they can do (which I don't, a modernized version of Gothamite's avatar might be better.) If it is so hard to make a good logo maybe they should have picked a different name.

It is just hard to see how the Packers is so much better than the Bears, which as I Bears fan I don't think is good.

Comparing the Bears and Packers is difficult in this exercise,,,,if we weren't bound by tradition, then the 2008 brand new franchise wouldn't even BE the Packers...more likely the Green Bay Muskies or Mammoths or Warhawks than Packers..... BUT, if we are stucjk with Packers...what would you replace the G with...what is the avatar you mentioned? I mean, what IS a packer as far aslogos go?

The Bears, on the other hand would again be named Bears for the same reason they were back in the beginning...Halas wanted to glom on to the popularity of the Cubs..... just as Ford wanted to use the popularity of the Tigers when he moved the Portsmouth spartans to Detroit and called them the Lions. And if the Bears logo was designed today...you better beleive the wishbone C would never be the choice. I happen to like the logo they have had for over 50 years on lots of their merchandise.... the growling bear........ which I'm sure would be more likely than the C today.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After reading your last posts, some of your choices still don't make sense. If a team called the Green Bay Packers entered the league today with a helmet with a G with an oval around it, it would be terrible. Does the Packers logo look cool? Not really it's just a G with an oval. Does it convey the name of the team? It doesn't really do that either. The team name is the Green Bay Packers, not just the Green Packers. Is it tough to come up with a logo for a team named the Packers? Of course it is, but you can't give them a pass because you think it's the best they can do (which I don't, a modernized version of Gothamite's avatar might be better.) If it is so hard to make a good logo maybe they should have picked a different name.

It is just hard to see how the Packers is so much better than the Bears, which as I Bears fan I don't think is good.

Comparing the Bears and Packers is difficult in this exercise,,,,if we weren't bound by tradition, then the 2008 brand new franchise wouldn't even BE the Packers...more likely the Green Bay Muskies or Mammoths or Warhawks than Packers..... BUT, if we are stucjk with Packers...what would you replace the G with...what is the avatar you mentioned? I mean, what IS a packer as far aslogos go?

The Bears, on the other hand would again be named Bears for the same reason they were back in the beginning...Halas wanted to glom on to the popularity of the Cubs..... just as Ford wanted to use the popularity of the Tigers when he moved the Portsmouth spartans to Detroit and called them the Lions. And if the Bears logo was designed today...you better beleive the wishbone C would never be the choice. I happen to like the logo they have had for over 50 years on lots of their merchandise.... the growling bear........ which I'm sure would be more likely than the C today.

The Packers logo in the avatar in and interlocking GB. I think that is a better representation than just the G. It's difficult to come up with a logo of a packer, though, and make it look good on a sports team. I do agree that if they were created today they wouldn't be the Packers, but that's what we're stuck with for this grading and I just don't think the Packers logo is not a good representation of the team's name.

For the Bears, I think they are in a tough spot with the helmet. I don't want to see the bear head logo, either the old or updated one, on the helmet. I think that is too busy to look good on a helmet. It is also just orange and blue, which I don't think would look that good on a blue helmet. Another thing I don't like about the Bears helmet is that it has no stripes while both the pants and jersey do. I think some stripes would be better, but I think that the wishbone C is the best for their helmet (once they get new stickers where the inside of the C is part of the sticker so that it doesn't rip anymore.)

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1246/120368...63a8139c4_o.jpganuary 5th, 2008 - 02:53:30' post='885209']

The Packers logo in the avatar in and interlocking GB. I think that is a better representation than just the G. It's difficult to come up with a logo of a packer, though, and make it look good on a sports team. I do agree that if they were created today they wouldn't be the Packers, but that's what we're stuck with for this grading and I just don't think the Packers logo is not a good representation of the team's name.

For the Bears, I think they are in a tough spot with the helmet. I don't want to see the bear head logo, either the old or updated one, on the helmet. I think that is too busy to look good on a helmet. It is also just orange and blue, which I don't think would look that good on a blue helmet. Another thing I don't like about the Bears helmet is that it has no stripes while both the pants and jersey do. I think some stripes would be better, but I think that the wishbone C is the best for their helmet (once they get new stickers where the inside of the C is part of the sticker so that it doesn't rip anymore.)

I don't see that avatar as better...too busy....I get a headache looking at it.

1203687160_563a8139c4_o.jpg

green_bay_packer_logo.jpg

I do believe that the stress on GREEN is how the locals say it. GREEN bay vs. green BAY as the rest of us say it

Here in Texas, everyone I know puts the emphasis on Green.

Bears fans tend to put the emphasis on the fact that we swept them 2-0 this year.....

...but of course THEY are in the playoffs and we're not, so they win for now. ^_^

but we still swept them. B)

The growling bear wouldn't work on the helmet because it's facing forward, in my opinion. I like the C just fine, and the G, for that matter.

I've never understood how the bear facing forward is a thing that is bad. Sure, it's cool if the logo is facing the same way as the player's head but it doesn't mean the logo isn't good......it's better than a side view of the bear, isn't it?

Raiders logo isn't a side view

lots of people wish the patriots had kept their previous logo as compared to the "flying Elvis" logo.

The Panther's logo isn't sideways, it's more forward than sideways for sure.

Would the Bucs' logo look better if the skull faced sideways rather than forward?

chicago_bears_logo_175.jpg

7908_big.jpg

chc_bears_logo.jpg

Well, no, it doesn't HAVE to be like that for every team, but I just happen to like the classic wishbone C better than the bear. Both look great, but I like that the Bears are one of the few NFL teams that plays up their city more than, or as much as, their nickname, like the Packers, Giants, and 49ers.

The bear inside the C conjures up the Wannstedt years, so leave that experiment in the past.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived