2008 IIHF World JR's

Spezza19

Do not know if anyone has made this topic yet, but has anyone been watching the world jr's. They're in the semi- finals now and I'm sure many of you know the huge game on friday between the U.S. and Canada.

Also just state what team (country) your cheering for.

I'm personally cheering for Team Canada.

I watched both quarterfinals today after following the prelims on the web (the NHL Network has piacked up the broadcast rights in the US for the medal round). I'm still amazed that the US hockey community largely ignores this tourney (I'm not expecting highlights on ESPN's SportsCenter, but, come-on, how about someone like Fox Sports Net, or CSTV picking up some games?).

Anyway, I think that the US has some great firepower, and Sweden has been the most impresive overall. Canada has some serious goaltending issues, and scoring has to come through (it's been spotty at best). Russia is inconsistant. The US/Canada game should be great Friday, and I expect Sweden to get through easily. Either way, I'm looking foreward to watching...

Moose

I watched a little bit of the games yesterday on the NHL Network. Kinda got bored though. Guess I just don't see what the big deal is.

I'll probably catch some of the USA - Canada game though since those are usually decent. (Though the ending to last year's game.. i think it was last years game that went to a shootout.. was a joke)

I don't really care about junior level hockey. I hope the World Championships later this year will be on TV in some form though. I doubt the NHL Network will pick up any games though since it's during NHL playoff time, unfortunately. But since they're in North America this year it would be nice to have some kind of coverage. Maybe Versus will pick up the U.S. games or something.

I don't really care about junior level hockey. I hope the World Championships later this year will be on TV in some form though. I doubt the NHL Network will pick up any games though since it's during NHL playoff time, unfortunately. But since they're in North America this year it would be nice to have some kind of coverage. Maybe Versus will pick up the U.S. games or something.

Where in North America are they holding it?

Halifax/Quebec City

Halifax I believe. I doubt any US stations will pick it up with them right in the middle of the NHL playoffs. Versus certainly won't pick up World Championship games considering they go nightly with the NHL during the playoffs.

As for the 2008 World Hockey Championships, yeah they are gonna be in Quebec City as well as Halifax.. that would present a massive problem.. I do know that TSN did televise the 2007 WHC .... wonder if TSN will have to give that televising rights of the 2008 WHC to the Score (I do remmy the Score did televise some WHC games as well) so will have to wait and see how this pans out on tv here in Canada regarding this....

Since 2003 when TSN began airing NHL playoff games, they've managed to still be able to air all the WHC games as well. They'll probably just have to air more NHL games on their alternate channel or just give up a few playoff series. (And the crux of the tournament usually doesn't start until the first round is over, so there would only be four playoff series left.)

Since 2003 when TSN began airing NHL playoff games, they've managed to still be able to air all the WHC games as well. They'll probably just have to air more NHL games on their alternate channel or just give up a few playoff series. (And the crux of the tournament usually doesn't start until the first round is over, so there would only be four playoff series left.)

Yeah I would think TSN will have to work in some matches from the WHC somehow as not to lose any more NHL playoff games.. but curious if TSN will do the WHC games on off days when no NHL playoff games will be televised?? That is possible....

Yeah I would think TSN will have to work in some matches from the WHC somehow as not to lose any more NHL playoff games.. but curious if TSN will do the WHC games on off days when no NHL playoff games will be televised?? That is possible....

Possible, though extremely unlikely. The only time you ever see an off day in the first three rounds of the NHL playoffs is when all but one (or two in the first two rounds) series end in four games and those remaining series are stretched to six or seven. And of course the day between series.

However, TSN won't face that problem because the schedule for the WHC is already out and all of Canada's games are on in the afternoon. And any NHL playoff game they have scheduled in the afternoon when Canada plays, they can air on their alternate feed (which will be in the second round by the point the tournament begins so there will only be four series left, and if it involves a Canadian team, then it'll be on CBC instead). You can view said schedule here: http://www.hockeycanada.ca/2/4/8/0/6/index1.shtml

Possible, though extremely unlikely. The only time you ever see an off day in the first three rounds of the NHL playoffs is when all but one (or two in the first two rounds) series end in four games and those remaining series are stretched to six or seven. And of course the day between series.

However, TSN won't face that problem because the schedule for the WHC is already out and all of Canada's games are on in the afternoon. And any NHL playoff game they have scheduled in the afternoon when Canada plays, they can air on their alternate feed (which will be in the second round by the point the tournament begins so there will only be four series left, and if it involves a Canadian team, then it'll be on CBC instead). You can view said schedule here: http://www.hockeycanada.ca/2/4/8/0/6/index1.shtml

I didnt think TSN would make the tv schedule out early.. usually that would have to be made a month before that... at least I know when TSN can televise the early games and etc... cool...

Archived