Nets won't leave Jersey for Brooklyn until 2010

DarkJourney

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The New Jersey Nets will play most or all of the 2009-10 NBA season in New Jersey instead of Brooklyn, a team spokesman said Thursday.

The Nets had planned to play at their new arena in New York starting in 2009. But spokesman Barry Baum said the move to Brooklyn wouldn't happen until sometime in 2010.

The Nets could possibly begin the season at the Izod Center in East Rutherford and move to the new arena, to be called the Barclays Center, in the first half of 2010, Baum said.

In October, Nets principal owner Bruce Ratner told The Associated Press that the new arena probably would not be ready by the start of the 2009-2010 season.

Under terms of their contract with the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, which operates the Izod Center, the Nets have to give 18 months' notice before they leave to avoid paying a penalty, Baum said.

The Nets haven't broken ground on the new arena, which is part of the Atlantic Yards development that is also set to include office space and as many as 6,400 new apartments. The $4 billion project has faced legal challenges from local residents and environmental groups.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

WHAT ARE THE ODDS THE NETS EVEN MOVE TO BROOKLYN? I STILL THINK THEY WILL END UP AT THE PRUDENTIAL CENTER IN NEWARK.

Frank Gehry + Barclays = Sexiest Sports Arena Ever

Gehry is extremely overrated. He doesn't even design the buildings. He makes some doodles on a piece of paper and has assistants spend hours trying to figure out how to make what looks like it was done by a four year-old into a building. Plus his buildings have a history issues because of the design. The Disney theater in LA had to have its exterior dulled because reflected so much sunlight on the sidewalk that it would actually burn people who walked by. A building he did for Cleveland State U is considered a hazard in the winter because of the danger of falling snow on people below. And I'm sure MIT would be happy to tell you how trilled they are about the building he built for them.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Frank Gehry + Barclays = Sexiest Sports Arena Ever

Gehry is extremely overrated. He doesn't even design the buildings. He makes some doodles on a piece of paper and has assistants spend hours trying to figure out how to make what looks like it was done by a four year-old into a building. Plus his buildings have a history issues because of the design. The Disney theater in LA had to have its exterior dulled because reflected so much sunlight on the sidewalk that it would actually burn people who walked by. A building he did for Cleveland State U is considered a hazard in the winter because of the danger of falling snow on people below. And I'm sure MIT would be happy to tell you how trilled they are about the building he built for them.

Well that was certainly an interesting read. haha

This is a trailer for "Sketches of Frank Gehry", it came out a while back, but the trailer actually is pretty insightful on the process:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony/sketche...kgehry/trailer/

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

Archived