Houston Astros main and script

mantleisthebest7

Hey y'all!

As with the Twins concept also posted here, I was inspired to bring back an old look to another team. After coming across some old pics of HOFers Joe Morgan and Eddie Mathews and loving the Astros' look of the 60's, I decided to modernize that sweet shooting star script and the old UFO/Astrodome logo. I do not have unis as of yet, but I'd like to know how these look before I get started.

Here they are!

l_886e685b32e72c2be438a4cafefea9e5.jpg

l_a85d923b97cc04ce58f05b557a9b4736.jpg

Tell me what you think!

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

It looks really really outdated.

Ummmm......im sorry but could you please tell me how it us outdated? No harm taken, it's just that I'd like to know why its outdated so I can fix it. I might understand the logo but I assure you with the script I tried my best to make it look modern without putting to much on or around it.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

Ummmm......im sorry but could you please tell me how it us outdated? No harm taken, it's just that I'd like to know why its outdated so I can fix it. I might understand the logo but I assure you with the script I tried my best to make it look modern without putting to much on or around it.

I actually don't really mind the script, besides the bevel effect on the stars, but it indeed is primarily the logo that looks outdated. Maybe you could try modernizing the spaceship and making the background of the circle more than just orange empty space.

I think the logo looks outdated.. but I know that it IS. The only way I think the wordmark looks outdated is that the letters are curved... maybe fix that?

Hey y'all!

As with the Twins concept also posted here, I was inspired to bring back an old look to another team. After coming across some old pics of HOFers Joe Morgan and Eddie Mathews and loving the Astros' look of the 60's, I decided to modernize that sweet shooting star script and the old UFO/Astrodome logo. I do not have unis as of yet, but I'd like to know how these look before I get started.

Here they are!

l_886e685b32e72c2be438a4cafefea9e5.jpg

l_a85d923b97cc04ce58f05b557a9b4736.jpg

Tell me what you think!

I think you could have a nice concept here. I've got some suggestions that might make it better.

On the main logo, it looks like you're trying to make it look like a ball (the text makes it look like that). But then the top of the logo (the comets and Astrodome) aren't curved around the ball like the text is, so it's very uneven. You need to take the middle of each of the comet/baseball tails (the blue things that look like boomerangs) and make it bigger. Basically, if you were to think of it in a 3D way, you would raise the middle of it or wherever it is you want to raise it. Just make it look like it's curling around the "ball."

Second, I'd get rid of the Dome. Just doesn't fit. I'm not sure what else you could put there, but it just looks like an illustration inside a logo.

The script on the second looks good though.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Big "NO" to the nautical star.

Another no for the use of Agency FB Bold.

another No to the dome, they don't play in one.

lastly, a "no" to jpegs.

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

lastly, a "no" to jpegs.

Ok. I hear ya. Hear is what I have to say:

Agency FB Bold looks an awful lot like the Chargers' new font, which is what I was getting at so that's why I used it.

I personally love the beveled star. May I ask what you don't like about it? (Just gathering opinions, that's all. No harm taken)

I was hesitant about using the dome, because I didnt just want to put thier current stadium on there. They used an old version of that logo back in the 60's though the early 90's so what should I use to replace it?

I never mean to save it in jpeg. Myspace saves it there automatically after uploading. Had it stayed in bitmap like I wanted it to, then it'd look better (is photobucket a free account site?)

Lastly, I can't have C&C that is just a like a few short senteces. I'm not mad or anything, but I'm a young designer (only a sophomore in high school) and I need alot more description than a short statement, that way I absoulutely KNOW what to do next. Again, no harm taken and no harm given intentionally, but I need more detail in C&C. However, thanks for your output! That's what makes these boards go round, so I appreciate all of it!

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

lastly, a "no" to jpegs.

Agency FB Bold looks an awful lot like the Chargers' new font, which is what I was getting at so that's why I used it.

I personally love the beveled star. May I ask what you don't like about it? (Just gathering opinions, that's all. No harm taken)

I was hesitant about using the dome, because I didnt just want to put thier current stadium on there. They used an old version of that logo back in the 60's though the early 90's so what should I use to replace it?

I never mean to save it in jpeg. Myspace saves it there automatically after uploading. Had it stayed in bitmap like I wanted it to, then it'd look better (is photobucket a free account site?)

Lastly, I can't have C&C that is just a like a few short senteces. I'm not mad or anything, but I'm a young designer (only a sophomore in high school) and I need alot more description than a short statement, that way I absoulutely KNOW what to do next. Again, no harm taken and no harm given intentionally, but I need more detail in C&C. However, thanks for your output! That's what makes these boards go round, so I appreciate all of it!

I like the script and colors, but the logo isn't working for me at all. The Astrodome doesn't fit because, however retro you want to make it look, they don't play there anymore. Try a Saturn V rocket from the 60's, satellite or some other space related image instead. Also, Photobucket is free, but try imageshack.us instead. Photobucket puts a limit on the size(dimension wise) of the images unless you get a premium account. imageshack.us is free, and the images can be as big as you want. And if you can, save it as .gif or .png or something, it won't be as big of a file size and uploads will be quicker as opposed to .bmp.

lastly, a "no" to jpegs.

sorry about the vagueness, I was in a rush, and yet was in a concept critique mode. haha

Well yes, agency is a lot like the bolts. The reason I say no is because in this year alone, the canucks fashioned it, and the blue jays announced unis that would have agency on them. too much in pro sports. haha

The beveled star is well, nautical, that's what it is, it also is a very static looking star. It has no speed, no motion, things you want in a sports logo.

plus, it's being used a lot in "skater" wear.

I'm not sure on what would replace it. I'll think.

photobucket is a very free site. I greatly prefer it to imageshack, even with the size governer. pbucket does the same thing as myspace does though, it converts a bmp to jpeg upon upload.

note, that when you save it as a bmp, you will get INCREDIBLY slowed uploads. when you change to PNG, upload times are increased tenfold.

I'd also change your color scheme... To what? I don't know.

I like the direction you're moving in... bringing back "space age"

what they currently have is mismatched crud.

They're the friggen astros and yet they go for a retro cursive logo, pinstripes, brick red, tan, black.. you get the point.

they look like they're the Houston Locomotives, HARDLY futuristic.

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

lastly, a "no" to jpegs.

sorry about the vagueness, I was in a rush, and yet was in a concept critique mode. haha

Well yes, agency is a lot like the bolts. The reason I say no is because in this year alone, the canucks fashioned it, and the blue jays announced unis that would have agency on them. too much in pro sports. haha

The beveled star is well, nautical, that's what it is, it also is a very static looking star. It has no speed, no motion, things you want in a sports logo.

plus, it's being used a lot in "skater" wear.

I'm not sure on what would replace it. I'll think.

photobucket is a very free site. I greatly prefer it to imageshack, even with the size governer. pbucket does the same thing as myspace does though, it converts a bmp to jpeg upon upload.

note, that when you save it as a bmp, you will get INCREDIBLY slowed uploads. when you change to PNG, upload times are increased tenfold.

I'd also change your color scheme... To what? I don't know.

I like the direction you're moving in... bringing back "space age"

what they currently have is mismatched crud.

They're the friggen astros and yet they go for a retro cursive logo, pinstripes, brick red, tan, black.. you get the point.

they look like they're the Houston Locomotives, HARDLY futuristic.

Oh, ok. I see now. Like I said, no harm taken. It's all good. Thanks! Oh and I'll try those photo sites!

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

It looks out dated because it looks like it's from 1960. If you're going to update something, you need to make it better, and if it looks and feels like it's from the 1960's how is that better? The fonts screams 1960's, the use of the Astrodome is well pointless, I don't see the Mariners using the Kingdome, or the Cleveland using their old stadium; there's a reason it was left behind. Oh and the square/triangle things that have baseballs on top of them, are they suppose to be A's or are they suppose to be orbits?

Lose the Astrodome, change up the fonts, and you're on the right track. What do you have in mind for a cap?

I'm currently trying to figure out a way to modernize the "H-star" logo, but i'm blank right now. I'll figure out something.

Oh, and to oddball, those are supposed to be orbits, but I agree they look really bad. The curve tool on paint sucks terribly.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

Archived