St. John's

rob66

I graduated from St. John's ('03) and I can share some pictures of jerseys I own and pictures I found on the internet.

The football jerseys had "SJU" ont the sleeves. I bought one off of ebay a couple of years ago, but don't have any pictures of it. Here are some basketball jerseys that I own.

Apex Felipe Lopez replica (1995)

th_lopez01.jpg

th_lopez02.jpg

th_lopez03.jpg

Jordan Donald Emanuel game worn (2001)

th_emmanuel01.jpg

th_emmanuel02.jpg

Eugene Lawrence, 2006-07 season.

su_stj02.jpg

Reggie Jessie, Kyle Cuffe, Anthony Glover, and Willie Shaw from 2001. These jerseys were new for the 00-01 season.

2000-01_team.jpg

Action Jackson, 1987

jax_icon.jpg

Darryl "Showtime" Hill from 2004. These were the 1985 throwbacks. I wish we would return to this look.

showtime01.jpg

Here's a picture of Thunder for old times sake . . . what a joke.

thunder.jpg

I have more pictures on my home computer. If you really want to see a good timeline, then go to the school's website. They will be selling a coffee table book in March to celebrate the 100th season of St. John's basketball. I just hope the last 5 season aren't included.

Thank You so much, these are great whatever else you can post please do, this is coming along nicely!

Also Thunder is the saddest excuse for a mascot EVER, and those 85's are near perfection.

Mullin

mully09.jpg

(1985)

mully10.jpg

mully08-1.jpg

(1982?)

mully03-1.jpg

Former Coach Joe Lapchick.

lapchick03.jpg

aykay, those are great pics. Do you have one with the '70s zigzag side stripes that you can post?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Aykay...you are the man! That is a great walk down memory lane.

I think the super-sweet throwbacks Hill was wearing matched the '83 set. Your shot of Mullin tagged 1985 shows a little simpler font. Love the '83s (which, as you probably recall, were also worn under Frashcilla's reign for a year or two).

I'd take those '83s as a permanent fix in a heart beat.

I think the super-sweet throwbacks Hill was wearing matched the '83 set. Your shot of Mullin tagged 1985 shows a little simpler font.

They did match the '83s, but Nike made a mistake and called them '85 throwbacks.

Is this firestorm from the redmen.com board?

Malik Sealy (1989-92)

malik02.jpg

malik03.jpg

malik.jpg

malik04.jpg

Marcus Hatten after his walk off FT to beat Duke in 2003.

hatten01.jpg

I don't have the zig zag 70s unis on my computer, I think I have an old program with them in it. Here's the last of them.

1983 Big East Championship team

83-rotate-men3.jpg

83-rotate-men2.jpg

Walter Berry (1986)

berry01.jpg

Willie Glass celebrating the 1986 Big East Championship

86-rotate-men1.jpg

It sucks looking at these pictures and to see how far this program has fallen. We are a joke now.

Malik Sealy (1989-92)

malik02.jpg

R.I.P. Malik. i know he was only with the T-Wolves for a short period of time, but when he was here, I had a lot of respect for him, he is one of my all time favorite Timberwolf.

That picture of Malik is one one my all-time favorite sports pictures. I'd love to track down a high res copy and have it framed.

It sucks looking at these pictures and to see how far this program has fallen. We are a joke now.

So is Norm Roberts not long for the program? I don't see much appreciable improvement, and results usually show up in the third year. I really don't get why SJU isn't a powerhouse in the Big East anymore. The admin and the boosters seem to be there for the support - are the facilities hurting recruiting? I can't imagine it would be that hard to recruit to NYC and to play games in MSG...

Seton Hall got the coach I thought would have been ideal - Bobby Gonzalez.

So is Norm Roberts not long for the program? I don't see much appreciable improvement, and results usually show up in the third year. I really don't get why SJU isn't a powerhouse in the Big East anymore. The admin and the boosters seem to be there for the support - are the facilities hurting recruiting? I can't imagine it would be that hard to recruit to NYC and to play games in MSG...

Seton Hall got the coach I thought would have been ideal - Bobby Gonzalez.

Leeds, you are throwing salt in the wounds of every loyal Redmen fan around. Norm has done a nice job cleaning up the mess of the previous Mike Jarvis regime, but has shown no ability to return the program to the top tier of the Big East. Don't know if Gonzo will get it done at the Hall, but he certainly brings some energy to their program. Sadly for those of us with St. John's ties, we are in for a long and painful ride this season.

If you want a sense of the level of acrimony toward the current staff, go to:

? the St. John's forum at Big East Boards: http://www.bigeastboards.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=14

OR,

? the more patient, Norm-friendler forum at: www. redmen.com

Carnesecca Arena is a dump, but there are plans to renovate. The school built a beautiful multi-million dollar practice facility next to CA 3 years ago. The facility houses practice courts, film rooms, a weight room, and player lounges.

The problem with Norm is that he makes horrible in-game decisions, his substitution patterns are awful, and he doesn't seem to understand the flow of the game. I've sat back patiently, trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, seeing how bad off the program was when he took over, but if he can't get into a post season tournament in year 4 then I think it is time for Father Harrington and the rest of the brain trust to say goodbye. The best way to sum up Norm's 4 seasons is one step forward and two steps backwards. It really hurts to see what John Calipari is doing down in Memphis and to know that he was so close to being named head coach back in 2004.

Carnesecca Arena is a dump, but there are plans to renovate. The school built a beautiful multi-million dollar practice facility next to CA 3 years ago. The facility houses practice courts, film rooms, a weight room, and player lounges.

The problem with Norm is that he makes horrible in-game decisions, his substitution patterns are awful, and he doesn't seem to understand the flow of the game. I've sat back patiently, trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, seeing how bad off the program was when he took over, but if he can't get into a post season tournament in year 4 then I think it is time for Father Harrington and the rest of the brain trust to say goodbye. The best way to sum up Norm's 4 seasons is one step forward and two steps backwards. It really hurts to see what John Calipari is doing down in Memphis and to know that he was so close to being named head coach back in 2004.

I don't think there is anyone who should fault the program for canning a guy who can't even make the NIT in his 4 seasons. That should be a minimum for a program like SJU.

Can't believe he's been there that long - and the program has really, really fallen off the national recognition map over his tenure.

It says something when programs like Baylor, Rhode Island and Miami can rise from the ashes faster than SJU.

Archived