Houston Oilers

Grish

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The new Houston franchise should have taken over the Oilers name and uniform instead of going with Texans. The Texans uniforms are very underwhelming.

I agree, but they couldn't since the NFL did not make the team leave the Oiler identity behind as they did with Cleveland. Remember they were the Tennessee Oilers for a while, a case of name-keeping nearly as ridiculous as the Utah Jazz.

The NFL should have force any team that moves to leave their identity behind, even if it's never used again. Of course, Cleveland would be the Rams now...

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Actually, Bud Adams made sure Houston could not use the Oilers name.

Link

realclearpolitics.com

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

- Robert A. Heinlein

Unlike the Browns departure, Bud took the name, colors, and franchise history with him. The Texans just recently started to recognize the "run n' shoot" and "luv ya blu" days by having pregame/halftime ceremonies, etc..

i actually love the texans uniforms

Yeah, but the classic Luv Ya Blues of the Oilers blow 'em away. Blame Bud for this one. Took 'em with him to Tenn, then bastardized 'em.

The red, then light blue striping is what made the uni for me. Loved it. Classic, clean, and unique amongst the rest of the NFL. And how much cooler of a team nickname is "OILERS", rather than "TEXANS"???

I believe when a team relocates, it can choose to keep using it's nickname, i.e. Vancouver to Memphis Grizzlies, New Orleans to Utah Jazz. However, if it chooses to change names, i.e. the Quebec Nordiques to Colorado Avalanche, or Montreal Expos to Washington Nationals, then they forgo owning the previous name, and it reverts back to either the city of which the team left, or the League (MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA). This way teams can't hold onto a name just to profit from historical purposes or to get money out of another team going into the original city who may want to rename the team after the classic team. I don't believe they should be able to profit from that teams past when they're not even in that city, nor use the nickname, anymore.

Tennessee, however is tricky. Because they were the Tennesse Oilers for a couple seasons before becoming the Titans. So either set a rule that if they use the nickname for a minimum number of seasons following relocation, like maybe 5, then they can retain the rights. If they change within the 5 year period, they relinquish rights to the name to the previous city or to the league, who can then determine if another team coming into the previous city can use the name or not. If the league makes the team still pay for the name, the money could go to leaguewide improvements or something to benefit more than just one team.

Just my opinion.

I believe when a team relocates, it can choose to keep using it's nickname, i.e. Vancouver to Memphis Grizzlies, New Orleans to Utah Jazz. However, if it chooses to change names, i.e. the Quebec Nordiques to Colorado Avalanche, or Montreal Expos to Washington Nationals, then they forgo owning the previous name, and it reverts back to either the city of which the team left, or the League (MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA). This way teams can't hold onto a name just to profit from historical purposes or to get money out of another team going into the original city who may want to rename the team after the classic team. I don't believe they should be able to profit from that teams past when they're not even in that city, nor use the nickname, anymore.

Tennessee, however is tricky. Because they were the Tennesse Oilers for a couple seasons before becoming the Titans. So either set a rule that if they use the nickname for a minimum number of seasons following relocation, like maybe 5, then they can retain the rights. If they change within the 5 year period, they relinquish rights to the name to the previous city or to the league, who can then determine if another team coming into the previous city can use the name or not. If the league makes the team still pay for the name, the money could go to leaguewide improvements or something to benefit more than just one team.

Just my opinion.

While I'm not sure about the other leagues, I don't believe that is true for the NFL, with the lone exception of the Cleveland Browns/Baltimore Ravens the team retains the old name, colors, etc. unless they choose to release them back to the league. Bud Adams made the decision to retain the "Oilers" mark and not return it to the NFL. If I'm remembering correctly they simply waited to "rename/rebrand" until their new stadium was ready for occupancy. They were going to stay in Memphis at the Liberty Bowl until the Nashville stadium was ready, but the attendance was so bad (of course, the team wasn't going to stay in Memphis regardless) they made the deal to move on into Nashville an play at Vanderbuilt's stadium.

In the case of the names "Texans" and "Titans" - I believe the owners of the original teams (at least Lamar Hunt of the Chiefs) didn't object to their old name being used when asked. However, their old "identity" of red/yellow/white colors and the (admittedly old-fashioned and not wanted) logo could not be used, and the Chiefs have the right to wear their old Dallas Texans colors and logos as a "throwback". Same with the Titans, but in their case the old AFL New York Titans may have technically folded before the Jets ownership bought them. At any rate the Jets were allowed to wear their NY Titan throwbacks this year.

My mother grew up in Houston and was a huge, huge, if not the biggest Oiler fan out there. My great uncle Fred was a sideline coach for the Oilers, too, and is a close friend of Earl Campbell. I, too, am an Oiler fan (one of those fans of the old teams), but unfortunately I am too young to have remembered anything from the Oilers. They moved to Tennessee when I was like, 6. My mom still every now and then cheers for the Titans, but she admits that it just isn't the same. I do wish that the Oilers either stayed or came back. Personally, I think Bud Adams was a retard for taking the identity with him. My family cheers for the Texans (well, in my mom's case the Titans and Texans), but they also think it isnt the same. If there is a football team in Houston, theyre supposed to be the Oilers, and the streets should be lined with Oiler Blue and Red. It's a shame that things are different now. Bet Bud Adams feels pround, don't he? Why would he keep the identity, anyway? He isnt using it. Give it back to the city of Houston, where it belongs.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

The new Houston franchise should have taken over the Oilers name and uniform instead of going with Texans. The Texans uniforms are very underwhelming.

I think the Texans' uniforms, colors and logo blow the bland Oilers stuff out of the water. I'm pretty sure most fans would agree.

Just my opinion.

While I'm not sure about the other leagues, I don't believe that is true for the NFL, with the lone exception of the Cleveland Browns/Baltimore Ravens the team retains the old name, colors, etc. unless they choose to release them back to the league. Bud Adams made the decision to retain the "Oilers" mark and not return it to the NFL. If I'm remembering correctly they simply waited to "rename/rebrand" until their new stadium was ready for occupancy. They were going to stay in Memphis at the Liberty Bowl until the Nashville stadium was ready, but the attendance was so bad (of course, the team wasn't going to stay in Memphis regardless) they made the deal to move on into Nashville an play at Vanderbuilt's stadium.

In the case of the names "Texans" and "Titans" - I believe the owners of the original teams (at least Lamar Hunt of the Chiefs) didn't object to their old name being used when asked. However, their old "identity" of red/yellow/white colors and the (admittedly old-fashioned and not wanted) logo could not be used, and the Chiefs have the right to wear their old Dallas Texans colors and logos as a "throwback". Same with the Titans, but in their case the old AFL New York Titans may have technically folded before the Jets ownership bought them. At any rate the Jets were allowed to wear their NY Titan throwbacks this year.

I forgot to clarify. That's how I believe it should be. Everything I wrote is purely opinion on my part. I wasn't stating facts. Just my opinion on how it should be.

I think the Texans' uniforms, colors and logo blow the bland Oilers stuff out of the water. I'm pretty sure most fans would agree.

On the contrary, I think the Texans have terribly bland uniforms (and recycled name, while we're at it). At least the Oilers had a distinct color scheme, unlike yet another navy and red team.

Archived